Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 July 2010, 15:34   #41

i could look at another cabin boat or a full blown powerboat i guess but i want a RIB....well i did anyway. my enthusiasm has dwindled away and getting worse for getting one due to apparent lack of options that suit me or ones that are maybe not upto the job.

when i say slow down i wasn't meaning to a crawl, obviously would need to adjust the trim/power to suit the conditions given. my lack of rib knowledge showing there and the learning curve i'm on with it. that said it won't be the first time i've had to sit at 6/7 knots to get home on my old boat even though it could do about 30 knots.

cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 17:22   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you're only going to be using it for pottering about, I'd go and sea trial the XS and make your own mind up on the seating. Personally I'll always go for jockeys over benches, but it's a personal choice. Jockeys are far better in the rough stuff.
Besides, at that price with a bit of haggling you could change from a bench to jockeys if you don't like the bench and still be under budget.
I've been trying to work out what boat you were talking about. I think I worked it out - its the first link to B&O you posted? Its not an XS its a Rib-X, and its not a simple "bench" seat - its actually a bolster/leaning post (with a bench underneath). Some people prefer these even to jockies. Or am I looking at completely the wrong boat? If it is only 70 miles away I'd be jumping in the car to try it in person - for the sort of boating you've described jockies aren't essential anyway and this might have a nice option for standing/leaning in the rough or at speed, and sitting at anchor or just plodding along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D
third one is the same make as the one with rotten decks which i never got and seems to be a general problem with those. also has a 2 stroke outboard.
No you were looking at a Porters, this is a Tohatsu. (I wouldn't even assume all porters have a deck problem - some may never have developed it and others may have been fixed). The Tohatsu (and I think the Solents, and maybe a few others) share the same running surface (i.e. outside of the hull) but were made in different factories so it would be wrong to tar them all with the same brush.

Oh, and why no 2-stroke?
Old 18 July 2010, 17:47   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I've been trying to work out what boat you were talking about. I think I worked it out - its the first link to B&O you posted? Its not an XS its a Rib-X, and its not a simple "bench" seat - its actually a bolster/leaning post (with a bench underneath). Some people prefer these even to jockies. Or am I looking at completely the wrong boat? If it is only 70 miles away I'd be jumping in the car to try it in person - for the sort of boating you've described jockies aren't essential anyway and this might have a nice option for standing/leaning in the rough or at speed, and sitting at anchor or just plodding along.

No you were looking at a Porters, this is a Tohatsu. (I wouldn't even assume all porters have a deck problem - some may never have developed it and others may have been fixed). The Tohatsu (and I think the Solents, and maybe a few others) share the same running surface (i.e. outside of the hull) but were made in different factories so it would be wrong to tar them all with the same brush.

Oh, and why no 2-stroke?
i don't like the look of the rib-x now. i'm sure it's a very nice boat but i prefer the look of the avon just now.

regardless what the tohatsu is-it's too big at that size. apologies on tohatsu being different.

why no 2 stroke? i don't want one is the simple answer. 2/4 stroke is another argument which i'm sure will bring just as much opinions on as to what rib i should get...lol. one for another day.

cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 18:15   #44

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post

why no 2 stroke? i don't want one is the simple answer.
Does your dislike of 2-strokes include Optis?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/BEM533
Old 18 July 2010, 18:41   #45

i seen this a couple of weeks ago i'm sure along with this at the same place-

http://bembridge.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BEM529

that is more appealing to me in terms of the seating etc but what are these ribs like?

what are these optimax outboards like and fuel consumption compared to a modern 4 stroke?

cheers
Old 18 July 2010, 18:50   #46

Quote:
what are these optimax outboards like and fuel consumption compared to a modern 4 stroke?
Noisy at idle, very responsive, torquey and roughly equivalent fuel consumption to a 4-stroke (but they do also use oil). Large grin factor when they're singing.
Smartcraft instrumentation included with the Optis is good.
Old 18 July 2010, 19:10   #47
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I've been trying to work out what boat you were talking about. I think I worked it out - its the first link to B&O you posted? Its not an XS its a Rib-X,

Yep, it was the X that confused me The Portland/Portsmouth slip I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Noisy at idle, very responsive, torquey and roughly equivalent fuel consumption to a 4-stroke (but they do also use oil). Large grin factor when they're singing.
Smartcraft instrumentation included with the Optis is good.
Bear in mind though that you'll have to pay for oil changes on a 4 stroke and servicing is a bit more involved. opti/DFI oil is expensive, but they don't use much.

Personally I love them, for all the reasons DHD just said. Unfortunately the Opti 90 is just too darn heavy for my boat or I'd have one on there.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2010, 19:32   #48

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Cracking was along the outer spray rails approx half way back IIRC
Old 19 July 2010, 09:41   #49

i will check the spray rails carefully along with the usual other suspects. it should be obvious on a 120hr boat i'd have thought. if it was going to be an issue i assume it would be there already.

in mean time still looking and keeping options open.

cheers
Old 19 July 2010, 16:52   #50

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Wow, all this "can / can't handle whatever" discussion.

Thing is that as we all know, a sea state that is hell in a bucket if you are in an SR4 will be a smooth slide in something bigger. Up the wave size and the big boat gets all slammy & 'orrible but the SR4 suddenly is having a fun trip back comfortably motoring up & dowm the big waves that have suddenly become the nightmare fo the bigger boat.

Only in dead flat water were all rides equally good.

As has been said, take it for a spin. Your dream boat is going to be the next nutter's worst nightmare & vice versa.

I have a single thought to summarise with: Marmite. :Thumbs:
Old 20 July 2010, 10:17   #51

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
Have sent a PM to Xk59D with an in depth account of my Avon experience.

It`s pretty similar to Matt H`s experience really.

Only mine cost a grand to sort out gel coat stress cracks!
Old 20 July 2010, 10:57   #52

nice to talk to you colin and thanks for the assistance.

as has been said i now have the good an bad story/ies on this boat so i can make an informed decision.

i'm very happy on everything but this cracking issue.

i have spoken to avon and asked quite simply-have these things got a problem to which i was told earlier adventures (didn't comment exact size) they had heard of minor cracking issues in places but by far and large have been ok. they have seen this with other hulls aswell. pretty much what one would expect the maker to say but he was very honest with me and been with avon over 30 years.

having spoken to a few people it's become apparant that as time went on the adventure series "issues" were "addressed" and by far and large shouldn't have any problem with cracking during average use. there has been 1/2 later ones have seen this but not too many.

that is as much info as i can gather and thanks to EVERYONE who i have spoken to or have gave advice. i have a very clear list of things to check on the boat now which isn't too different from any boat advice when buying-

1. hull
2. hull
3. hull

cheers
Old 20 July 2010, 11:18   #53

What year is the boat you're looking at?
Old 20 July 2010, 11:47   #54

it was delivered july 2006 which i believe is close to the end of the 560 series lifespan. someone did tell me a date it ceased but i'd be lying if i say the date exactly but i think it was early 2007.

cheers
Old 20 July 2010, 11:53   #55

Quote:
it was delivered july 2006 which i believe is close to the end of the 560 series lifespan. someone did tell me a date it ceased but i'd be lying if i say the date exactly but i think it was early 2007.

cheers
matt h had his new in June 2007. Not sure when it was manufactured though.

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20111

Old 20 July 2010, 11:55   #56

as i said.........and avon dealers have said......."1/2" still had issues with this but by far and large was ok or much better ratio to earlier boats atleast. i'm not saying that ratio is good, 1 is too many imo.....but it is what it is.

as someone posted earlier, these are light boats, no 2 ways about it. i can only assume some are too light and there are obviously differences in the thickness of the hull as some are ok and some are clearly not. colin also commented his hull is visually different from newer 560's which is curious. if i call avon back i'll be asking about this. makes you think either they revised it sometime after 2002 (his year hull) or maybe hulls are being made at different places which may explain a lot of this thread easily.

edit-the chap at avon said if i want to bash about in heavy conditions then do not get the adventure, get their commercial version as more designed for this. kind of obvious but thought i'd chuck it in for any future 560 buyers......assuming there are any anymore! :-)

cheers
Old 20 July 2010, 12:26   #57

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
good reading this, it really is such a shame the 560 is like it is, i looks a reaaly great boat, mine was a 06 dated hull and the side cracks started form the stern and carried on for at least 3-4 ft,

I have nil experience on the other adventurers apart from the small 4 meter and i have no idea if they are built in the same factory but it was awesome fun, what a laugh.

I saw the new 470 down at poole recently and that looks much better and i know thats not built in the land of song and leeks!!

has anyone got any experience with new the 470s???
Old 20 July 2010, 12:35   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post

I saw the new 470 down at poole recently and that looks much better and i know thats not built in the land of song and leeks!!

has anyone got any experience with new the 470s???
The current Avon brochure doesn't even feature a photo of it.........
Old 20 July 2010, 12:36   #59

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Why arent you working????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adventure470BlueP.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	52863  
Old 20 July 2010, 12:40   #60

I've got an A4 data sheet of it with those images, but there's no pics in the glossy brochure

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Why arent you working????
Enjoying the sunshine instead.

Why aren't you replying to my pm?