Old 28 April 2014, 09:31   #1

Town: St Neots ( Cambs)
Boat name: Red Oktober
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Auxillary outboard

I have a SR4 and I would like to fit a 4 hp auxiliary outboard on a adjustable bracket has anyone done this before and did it work?
I would like to use a short shaft!
My transom has 4 bolts already in which I think was used for this in the past !

I have yet to see a rib with an auxiliary fitted is there a reason for this ? I agree it is tight on space !
Old 28 April 2014, 10:49   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyethesailor View Post
I have a SR4 and I would like to fit a 4 hp auxiliary outboard on a adjustable bracket has anyone done this before and did it work?
I would like to use a short shaft!
My transom has 4 bolts already in which I think was used for this in the past !
!

Hi,

A couple of thoughts for you -

- If you can fit direct to the transom - do it. A search here will give plenty of stories of disintegrating aux brackets.....

- Why short shaft - is it because you have one lying in your shed? I tried a short shaft on my old SR4 for that very reason - but the prop ends up being precariously close to the surface, which is fine in flat water, but first sign of a swell and it's out on every wave..... unless you & your crew are perched on the transom, which of course creates more drag.....

- don't know what engine you have, but you may find it's easier to mount to Stbd - otherwise the end of the steering cable can foul the clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyethesailor View Post
I have yet to see a rib with an auxiliary fitted is there a reason for this ? I agree it is tight on space !
Where I cruise every other rib has one!

It may be your cruising location - do another search on here for "Seastart" (I think - can any of you solent ribbers confirm / correct me on the name?) In the Solent there is a marine equivalent of the AA, so you could argue that an Aux is a waste of transom space & weight. If you crusie more remotely alone I would argue an aux is a must.
Old 28 April 2014, 11:13   #3

Town: St Neots ( Cambs)
Boat name: Red Oktober
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Thanks for that '9D280'. I wanted to use a short shaft as I was hoping to use in on a small SIB I have also but I soppose a long shaft would work although not ideal, then yes I should get away with it straight on the transom, although I have been out in my boat a few times last year, since I have become the owner I have yet to take it out still tinkering with it in the garage, my main intended cruising area will be felixstowe which during the summer season at weekends there is the felixstowe volunteer rescue 'guardianrescue' which if I did have a engine breakdown would help me out but I would rather try to be self sufficient if I can.
I also intend fitting a A frame and I thought the outboard on the transom may foul the frame, I think I need to see more pictures of what other people have done in a small Rib