Old 23 July 2018, 20:12   #41

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
He actually asked 'what size auxiliary engines are popular.'
If you must ask people if they read previous posts to support your own arguments then at least get their content right
Old 23 July 2018, 20:15   #42

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
He actually asked 'what size auxiliary engines are popular.'
If you must ask people if they read previous posts to support your own arguments then at least get their content right
Popular as a back-up while crossing the channel, keep reading
Old 23 July 2018, 20:19   #43

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Nope. Doesn't seem to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Bay View Post
Hi all
Just thinking about cross channeling or Channel Isles hip in a 7 m rib, 250 Hp engine and suspension seats.
Are there any good low profile removable outboard brackets? Also what size auxiliary engines are popular?
Thanks.
Old 23 July 2018, 20:39   #44

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
this is fun
Old 23 July 2018, 20:41   #45

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Nope. Doesn't seem to say that.
So what’s the op asking when he says he’s crossing the channel and asks for advice on a aux setup, the meaning of life? Lol
Old 23 July 2018, 20:47   #46

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
42 [emoji1][emoji106]
Old 23 July 2018, 22:39   #47
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
‘I'll do it then - if you can't make way with a decent, well set up aux in that direction, you might not be getting towed that way either - you'll be going to a convenient, safe harbour not necessarily "home" if its fighting several knots of tide a headwind.’

I’d suggest a Severn class tied to your bow would most likely be able to tow you anywhere - whatever nature was doing! They put out a little more grunt than a asthmatic auxiliary
You don't get to pick the asset that comes to you - it might be a D-class with a 50. However even if the Severn turns up if the conditions are such that a proper sized aux will fail they may well not be going that way - and if they do you'd better hope your bilge pumps are still working and your deck hardware is made for the ride...
Old 23 July 2018, 22:43   #48
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Did you read the OP’s first post?
Crossing the channel with a 7.5m 250hp rib and asked what aux to use, nothing to do with displacement craft potentially being blown out to sea
A rib under aux is a displacement craft, and presumably the aim is not to be blown out to sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
If you recall the OP asked about a cross channel crossing with a aux as a backup and I said a well maintained main engine or buddy boat/s is far more useful! (Post no. 12) mid channel that a aux fighting the tide of wind or both! An opinion I 100% stand by!
But an aux is not mutually exclusive with a well maintained engine, and cruising in company can be nice but its not for everyone all of the time.

Quote:
And funny enough, on a summers day , there’s rocks, ships, pleasure craft , and danger all around the uk inc the south coast , there not unique to Scotland
but SeaStart does not - and you've probably got more Lifeboats on the southcoast as the whole of Scotland. But bringing it back to the Chanel - its much more remote than the busy areas, and a long wait in a shipping lane for a tow to turn up.
Old 23 July 2018, 23:37   #49

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
For the OP, forget auxilliary adjustable brackets, I've yet to see one that doesn't rattle like a bag of spanners. Fixed bracket is the way to go.

Been reading the pros and cons of auxilliary engines, so here's my take.

I've never deployed my auxilliary engine in a breakdown or emergency, but the argument that maintaining your main engine 100% simply doesn't stack up. I service my engines meticulously but there have been a couple of incidents where maintenance didn't make any difference.

A few years ago out of Cruden Bay (south of Peterhead) the engine spluttered to a halt. Eventually traced the fault to a displaced rubber 'o' ring on the fuel supply connector to the engine. Apparently an issue with pattern parts. Luckily I found the fault quickly and weather was calm. Tell tale sign was collapsed fuel bulb. Replaced fuel connection with genuine Tohatsu part afterwards.

Last year after a lunch stop at Catterline (south of Stonehaven), I caught a poorly marked lobster creel (using a Coke bottle as a float) exiting the harbour. The propeller was badly damaged with rope, and it wasn't outwith with the possibility I could have stripped the rubber bushing on the prop and lost all propulsion. It's a narrow channel with rocks either side. Luckily it was relatively calm, and no urgency to drop anchor. The vibration on the propeller after freeing ourselves was worrying, so I did temporary repair to the propeller with claw grips and nursed the boat home.

An auxilliary engine gives you options. Not saying it's your complete back up plan if there's a main engine issue but depending where you are, weather conditions, and VHF chatter it's reassuring to have on board.
Old 24 July 2018, 09:22   #50

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
'A rib under aux is a displacement craft, and presumably the aim is not to be blown out to sea?'

And again, the OP was planning to cross the channel - so potentially he's already out at sea

'but SeaStart does not - and you've probably got more Lifeboats on the southcoast as the whole of Scotland. But bringing it back to the Chanel - its much more remote than the busy areas, and a long wait in a shipping lane for a tow to turn up.'

Also a VERY long way trying to get back land using a aux, that is even if the tide and wind are in your favour, your possibly over 30 miles from land, is a aux going to get you home, not sure......would you still need at some point outside assistance, probably

My first response to the OP's question regarding crossing the channel and the advantages or carrying a aux was, in my opinion to consider buddy boats and get your main engine 100%, rightly or wrongly with the OP's scenario that's where my priority's would lie, but that's just me
Old 24 July 2018, 09:49   #51

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
IMHO Aux engines are not so much the issue, you pays your money and takes your choice; (used, new, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, 6, 8, 10 HP, independent or integrated fuel supply, pull start, electric start etc etc.)

The problem lies in how to attach them to your boat. Sure if you have space on the transom then great but many boats don't. As others have said the folding brackets as mostly rubbish and I suspect don't designed with Ribs in mind.
Fixed brackets are better if you can mount one in a suitable place.

Owning an aux not not mean you need to carry it on all trips, on a nice day in the Solent I wouldn't bother but on the west coat of Scotland I might.
Old 24 July 2018, 18:57   #52

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'd say 10hp for a get me out of trouble aux for a 7m RIB.

As for the rest of the discussion, I'm quite happy pootling around the Solent without an aux. Nothing is too far away, the water isn't deep so anchoring isn't difficult, Sea Start are just a phone call away and there is normally loads of other boats, some of whom will gladly help you out. If it starts to go wrong there are four or five RNLI stations and several independent lifeboat stations close by.

I took the RIB up to the Outer Hebrides and whilst it was fantastic, I was suddenly reminded of my own mortality. I was a single boat with a single engine with the nearest help probably a couple of hours away. There were no other boats around and my anchor wouldn't reach the bottom until I was within striking distance of an inhospitable rocky shore and last but not least I had my family on board.

I now have an aux if only to buy me the time until help arrives.
Old 24 July 2018, 21:00   #53

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Happy to stand corrected[emoji6]

come to think of it my pals coded angling boat is single engined .

Dont know what made me think it was mandatory maybe different levels of code?
They do, however, have to have an alternative means of steering the boat.