Old 26 November 2006, 19:26   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I think there's a lot of apathy towards understanding basic mechanics these days. People just don't seem to understand what's going on. In the past, many motorists would have a basic knowledge of how cars, for example, worked. Where before, a broken down car at the roadside would have the bonnet up and the driver tinkering away under the bonnet, now you just see them sitting in the driver's seat with the hazard lights on.
Maybe this is because vehicles have become more reliable, or it may be because they have become more complicated. End result is the same - a simple fix doesn't get carried out by the operator, because they haven't got a clue where to start looking for the problem.
Old 26 November 2006, 21:24   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I think there's a lot of apathy towards understanding basic mechanics these days. People just don't seem to understand what's going on. In the past, many motorists would have a basic knowledge of how cars, for example, worked. Where before, a broken down car at the roadside would have the bonnet up and the driver tinkering away under the bonnet, now you just see them sitting in the driver's seat with the hazard lights on.
Maybe this is because vehicles have become more reliable, or it may be because they have become more complicated. End result is the same - a simple fix doesn't get carried out by the operator, because they haven't got a clue where to start looking for the problem.
I think TBH it's got to the point where you CAN'T fix the problem without a diagnostic screen and normal tools won't do it anymore. That and it's now a 4 hour job to get past the bolt-on bullshyt before you can get to a problem...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2006, 21:38   #23

Yes - the complexity puts people off even taking a look - then Mr Seastart comes along and cleans the shit out of the fuel filter, or opens the fuel tank vent, or tightens the battery terminal.........
Old 26 November 2006, 21:40   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Yes - the complexity puts people off even taking a look - then Mr Seastart comes along and cleans the shit out of the fuel filter, or opens the fuel tank vent, or tightens the battery terminal.........
LOL well, yeah. Point taken.I wouldn't have even considered that as a problem though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2006, 21:47   #25

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
aux position

where's your console? I had a liferaft on the front of one of mine 3 years ago and it worked wellalso keeps it out of the way.

another idea which worked well on a 8.5 metre boat was to use the anchor locker os a water ballast tank holder. we got plastimos fresh water 150 litre tank shut off one of the exits and use hozelock attachments to fill up.
this resolved well the issue of runng 300 hp and 400 litres of fuel all at the back when missing the punters who were the normal ballast,.
the tank cost £50 ish and never let us down.
Italso meant that we were not needing to worry if it was VV choppy as the weight really does a fantastic job.

You don't need baffles inthe tank if you get one a little oversized and really fill it up!! our space was 140 litres .

That way if you get a fat mate to come and he sits mid boat you can always ditch the water whereas the engine will have to stay put.

mike
Old 26 November 2006, 23:56   #26

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
This leads to an interesting point;historically you decided in the past who looked after your car/engine, that decision was based on how you felt the garage looked after your car (grease on door hinges etc). Good mechanics are very rare these days, I think this has been brought about by munufacturers wanting to control of the lurative service side. we only have fitters in dealerships, the warranties force us to take engines to certain garages only, where only parts are fitted.

As the purchaser of a new engine we agree..we're getting new parts after all. but what about the the poor sod who gets the engine in a couple of years time? The mechanic he knows will look after him in a loyal, really take care of it way stands scratching his head ..so it's back to the dealer and his expensive parts only this time the profit margin is huge,with the THIS customer in the least the position to pay it...

This also involves suppliers recently I was in the position where a manufacturer, was reluctant to sell me a service manual, this only highlighted another attempt at control by the engine manufacturer, I paid thousands for the engine, so don't expect to be told how I will look after it, If I choose to service it myself forgo the warranty thats my choice.

This is bad business as It's compromising the manufacturers position with me.

Sorry for the rant but this does have something to do with the original question of self reliance, I may not know how to sort the thing at sea after reading the service manual, but strongly resent commercial pressures stopping me trying.
Old 27 November 2006, 14:17   #27

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
IBWET,

Could you please clear your inbox. Trying to send PM.
Old 27 November 2006, 15:14   #28

Quote:
IBWET: Have you got any pictures of the deck pads for the A frame? I'm interested in how they do this.
Took these today,the deck surface covering obscures the shape of the pad (it was much easier to see when just done) I've tried to outline the shape with the wet line.the surface looks perfectly flat but is'nt roy's boat will be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0018.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	23437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0015.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	23438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	23439  
Old 07 December 2006, 07:56   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
This leads to an interesting point;historically you decided in the past who looked after your car/engine, that decision was based on how you felt the garage looked after your car (grease on door hinges etc). Good mechanics are very rare these days, I think this has been brought about by munufacturers wanting to control of the lurative service side. we only have fitters in dealerships, the warranties force us to take engines to certain garages only, where only parts are fitted.

As the purchaser of a new engine we agree..we're getting new parts after all. but what about the the poor sod who gets the engine in a couple of years time? The mechanic he knows will look after him in a loyal, really take care of it way stands scratching his head ..so it's back to the dealer and his expensive parts only this time the profit margin is huge,with the THIS customer in the least the position to pay it...

This also involves suppliers recently I was in the position where a manufacturer, was reluctant to sell me a service manual, this only highlighted another attempt at control by the engine manufacturer, I paid thousands for the engine, so don't expect to be told how I will look after it, If I choose to service it myself forgo the warranty thats my choice.

This is bad business as It's compromising the manufacturers position with me.

Sorry for the rant but this does have something to do with the original question of self reliance, I may not know how to sort the thing at sea after reading the service manual, but strongly resent commercial pressures stopping me trying.
Service manual has now arrived.
Old 12 December 2006, 19:45   #30

Quote:
IBWET: Have you got any pictures of the deck pads for the A frame? I'm interested in how they do this.
Managed to extract these from a video I made down at the factory as the boat was getting built.

Hope they will suffice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ribcraft Factory 210906 016_0001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	23732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribcraft Factory 210906 009_0001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	23733  
Old 12 December 2006, 23:05   #31

Thanks IBWET.
As I suspected, the pads appear to spread the load of the hardware, rather than have them bearing directly onto the deck and the bolts are threaded into nuts welded to plates fixed to the underside of the main deck
Old 27 January 2007, 13:43   #32

Pictures of aux pad in bow

The finished article and I believe a success, only thing left to do is make a support pad for the skeg, my very clever father in law has got his pencil/measuring tape out again..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0011.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	24563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0015.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	24564  
Old 27 January 2007, 16:07   #33

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Lovely bit of work - make sure you have a big block of rubber under the skeg and let us know how you get on!!!
Old 27 January 2007, 17:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Lovely bit of work - make sure you have a big block of rubber under the skeg and let us know how you get on!!!
Well funnily enough,I originally thought a bit of marine ply (the real stuff,not the crap sold as MP) would be the way forward. So sourced a bit, salvaged from a old dagger board,and was going to work it to fit ETC, However the previously mentioned FIL (brilliant engineer that he is ) has decided that he will make, out of stainless, a block that can be fine tuned with a screw, to guage and set the correct amount of weight spread over the post, skeg and bracing struts well what do you say when someone offers to do this....just you go for it my good man!

He designed the the whole thing to date and I'm still not sure how he new how the locking pin would work....there are 3 bends in it?