Old 30 June 2003, 15:54   #1

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Aux. fuel tank

In preparation for the Herm cruise, I'm going to fit an additional 6 gall. plastic tank to increase the range. I've got a 20 gall. integrated fuel tank with a fuel filter/separator in the console. One suggestion I've had is to connect the aux. tank upstream of the filter by means of a bayonet type fitting. The obvious place then to fit the tank is in the console. The question is, is it advisable to do this given the tank will then vent into the console with the battery/electrics etc. Seems a bit 'iffy'.

An alternative would be to forget the fuel filter (or maybe use an in-line one) and connect to the fuel line local to the engine and fix the tank in the open, to the deck at the stern.

Has anyone else done something similar? I'd welcome your comments.

Dave
Old 30 June 2003, 16:13   #2

Town: Leatherhead
Hi Dave,

I have a under deck tank (12 galls)with water seperator/filter in the consul. I also have a 5 gall plastic tank that has it's own fuel line, primer bulb, engine connector. which I fit to the front of the consul with a ratchet-strap. This arrangement:

1. Keeps the weight of the spare fuel forward and helps balance.

2. Ensures a completely clean supply of fuel should there ever be any contamination of the main tank.

I don't think you need to worry too much about having the water seperator filter in-line with an aux tank as I think it is meant to deal with the main tank only - condensation, etc.

The engine will have a filter fitted internally I would think so this would take care of the fuel from the aux tank.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2003, 17:51   #3

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Tank Connections

Hi Clarky,

Here is a possible alternative, I have a main tank with inline seperator/filter needed to do saame job conect aux tanks.

Local dealer suggested a (3 way gate valve) simalar to plumbing systems that fits inline prior to filter and is switchable from main tank to aux tank just by turining tap in right direction.

Fit valve inline to existing fuel lines then run new fuel line on base of T piece to your aux tank fitting, thats it. All fuel runs through filter to engine.

I must admit it took me a while to figure out which direction was the right way when bleeding the fuel through but other wise a very simple and effective idea.

Regards
Old 01 July 2003, 08:54   #4

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Engine: Nada
Thanks guys.

Dave
Old 01 July 2003, 20:38   #5

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
manifold

make sure that you have some way of switching off the tanks as they empty otherwise the empty tank will allow air to be drawn in to the system, you need a simple manifold two inlets with on off taps one outlet

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote