Click Here to Login

Old 10 February 2003, 13:32   #21

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
Manos, why are you double posting everything?
Is a Greek thing LOLOL Sorry

On a more serious note I think the idea of fex durable tanks never crossed my mind. Yes I think that this is a VERY GOOD IDEA!!

Any way this is a photo of the boat with 130bhp configuration. You can see one of the tanks on the aft section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	falcon.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1688  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2003, 13:49   #22

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I have a flexible bladder tank on Blue Ice - 70L capacity as well. Never used it yet but previous owner had it rigged so that it was connected to the fuel filter. The engine would burn the fuel from the flexi-tank first and when it was empty use the main tank. Supposedly set up to happen automatically but have never tried it in anger myself so can't comment!
Old 10 February 2003, 14:11   #23
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Manos

Flexi tanks are OK, but they do tend to leak. If you do get some I wouldn't suggest using them for racing as I doubt that they would take the beating.

I would go for a well made stainless steel tank built in under the deck. Find someone who knows what they are doing and you'll be OK (don't just go to your nearest or cheapest general fabricator and expect them to do a good job!).

John
Old 10 February 2003, 16:24   #24

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
The particular ones I have seen and am acquiring have never leaked (used for racing, cruising etc.), plus one years guarantee.
Old 10 February 2003, 16:24   #25

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Find someone who knows what they are doing and you'll be OK (don't just go to your nearest or cheapest general fabricator and expect them to do a good job!)
I agree with you John. Will not go for the cheap option.
Is just that the Falcon team recommends to have plastic 3x70 ltrs on deck instead of SS in the hull. They are very persistant on that aspect.
Is so bloody confusing this. I have left all I had to do today at work and I'm just calling people asking about the bloody tanks
I guess we will get there somehow I hope!!
Old 10 February 2003, 18:06   #26

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
Nice boat Manos hope im on for a run in March.
Old 10 February 2003, 19:14   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
SS tanks

Stainless steel tanks will crack if they are not properly supported. They will crack adjacent to the welds because there is substantial grain growth there formed during the welding. The same applies to SS A frames if there is flexing. And there usually is because SS is pretty springy. Next time you go to B & Q, dunt their SS railings and you'll see what I mean. If you have become familiar with a cracked SS product, you'll be able to see the large grain structure at the break.

Didn't Paul Lemmer burst a flexible tank when he raced for the record around Britain?

Some tank designers use the baffles to prevent the tank flexing rather than just to prevent the fuel surging. Therefore, there is considerable load on the tack welds holding the baffle.

Tank baffles should be horizontal not vertical.

JW.
Old 10 February 2003, 19:30   #28
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: SS tanks

Quote:
Originally posted by jwalker
Stainless steel tanks will crack if they are not properly supported
As will most tank materials. The installation is at least as important as the manufacture of the tanks.

John
Old 10 February 2003, 19:32   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse
Nice boat Manos hope im on for a run in March.
The new one is in blue like the 'NO LIMIT TOO' but jazzed up a bit with some VERY cool graphics on it LOLOL
(who said anything about boyzzz racers??? ) LOLOLOL
and you have always a place on board any time CH!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooldude-s.gif
Views:	193
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1690  
Old 10 February 2003, 19:40   #30

Re: SS tanks

Quote:
Originally posted by jwalker
Stainless steel tanks will crack if they are not properly supported
As far as I understand it when the SS tank is inside the hull it should be realy tightly enclosed otherwise it may buckle or crack under the extreams (of say a race).
I have talked to many people this morning and my assumption is that if the final decision will be to use tanks on deck to use plastic 70 or 100 ltr tanks.
The idea of SS tanks under deck have to admit does not appeal that much to me but is still under consideration (I'm suppose to be receiving a stress test result from one manufacturer of SS tanks to compare it with one I've got for plastic).
Will post it when (IF) I'll get it.
Old 11 February 2003, 07:09   #31

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally posted by Manos

II promissed to my son that he will be my co-driver and he wants to win (being the No 3 in Glos County Squash under 13s is a competitive lad and he wants to be there. You know what I mean)
I think you will find he's too young for a licence.
Old 11 February 2003, 08:21   #32

Hi Dirk

Thanks for the info
He will be 13 by then. Is that OK or he is still too young??

And as we are talking about this does anyone know what is the minimum age to enter as a co-driver??

I don't think that there is an age limit in obtaining and ICC or anything like that (correct me if I'm wrong) so why should be for racing as a co-driver (NOT DRIVER)??
I have red in the Sports Boat and RIB mag that RYA doing this race for children for ages between 8-12 (I think) and 12-16 so there is some money to be made for someone out there hence (maybe) the rule not permitting children to take part as co-drivers in a BIBOA race? Also I cannot see any safety issues arising here if children can prove that they are competent in the water,
have basic knowledge of boat handling (in this case RIBs) and when they are with their parents (and under their parents supervision at all times) who (OBVIOUSLY) assume and are fully responssible for their wellbeing. This statement (before every body comes like a tonne of bricks on me) assumes that the children (provided that they are say over 12) do not assume full reponssibility of the craft unless of course they have to in case of emmergency and also that they have to pass the tests for an ICC.
I think the race that the RYA is organising in relative terms it will be more dangerous than what I want to do with my son.
However, what I am saying here is that my son will be crewing as a co-driver in an event or two. If he is a competent swimmer and a good boat handler (probably he has handled boats and has been in the sea more times in his 12 1/2 years than the average person in the UK) why he cannot take part. He knows the rules of the sea and has been dealing with boats as long as we all can remember!!
He will be VERY disappointed if he is not allowed to take part!!
Old 11 February 2003, 08:44   #33

Town: Hamble
I believe the minimum age is now 17, it used to be 18.

The RYA junior racing that you refer to is organised by the RMYC in Poole. The races are strictly controlled, and each boat has an adult on board. I don't think you are correct in assuming that these races would be more dangerous than what you are intending to do. After all, the boats are 12' long with a 20hp merc. Set up by Chris Lewis Racing so they won't be very fast!

I would suggest that you contact the RYA and get a copy of PB1, I would send you mine but its a couple of years out of date. (My helmet is now hung up)

Looks like your lad is going to be disappointed
Old 11 February 2003, 09:05   #34

Dirk

If the age is 17 then unfortunately is going to be a problem for me. Will check with RYA for the rules. Thanks.

I did not know about the adult on board the boat for the RMYC race in Pool as it was not mentioned in the mag. I take my comment back. No question regarding safety.
Any way will see what happens with my son. However, in any case if we cannot race the boat here as a team we will DEFINATELY be able to race it in Greece (no age limits/restrictions there for co-drivers as far I am aware of).
So may be this boat ends up in Greece too rather than the UK. Will see
Old 11 February 2003, 09:16   #35

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Manos,

Would have assumed that you would have copy of PB1 from RYA if you are intending to race this year? From what I recall from long BIBOA committee meetings, as RIB racing is now run by BIBOA under the aegis of RYA all the more stringent rules now apply. So min age plus needing a full licence etc etc. All driven by the increasing risk of litigation if a club just runs its own races and doesn't measure up to to national standards such that they are.

I strongly urge you to contact Chris Strickland at BIBOA or John Puddifoot at the RYA to ensure that you are aware of the rules and regs. Otherwise you may be dissapointed as I fear powerboat racing in UK is perhaps more strictly regulated than that in Greece. And we all want to see you in action at Cowes this summer!!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 11 February 2003, 09:41   #36

Hi Alan

Thanks for the message.
I've got all the rules from RYA but I left them in Greece last time I was there. Haven't had a chance to read them properly yet (although I went through them quickly).
I'll probably have to ask for another copy. In any even the boat will arrive here in the UK (you pay no import tax for imports from SAfrica into the UK - some short of agreement between the countries) and it will be nice to have it here for a while.
However, I will call JM @ BIBOA later on today to ask him about this matter of age.
I hope (for my son's sake) that we can find a way round that otherwise will have to ask 'er indoors to co-pilot with me and it will be like 'don't go so fast is too bumpy here. My back is killing me' and 'are you trying to kill us both??' and 'are you mad? Don't know why I got married you' LOLOL
It will be a pity for my son to miss such an experience though.
Racing in Greece is OK and fun (sunshining, good weather, hot but windy, girls in bikinies and topless lolol etc etc) but I do not think that is anywhere as good as it is in the UK It does not have the same buzz!!
Old 11 February 2003, 09:48   #37

Decison on Tanks

I have to admit that it took me a bit of time to come to the final decision and after consulting a few naval architects friends of mine and two boat builders and also FALCON I came to the conclusion that the plastic tank solution on deck is the best.
So guys here we go 2 x 70 ltrs on the bow section and 1 x 70 ltrs aft (just hope is enough fuel to last). I will also take Charle's advise and get one of those airtype plastic tanks for spare fuel (hope this one does not come appart - otherwise will be Charles to blame LOLOL ).
Also 2 connecting standard oil tanks aft for the engine.
Photos to follow once is set up.
Now the question is whether I need a Jack Plate or not which it will be on a separate thread.
Thank you all for all your help on this one it has been great!!
Old 12 February 2003, 16:16   #38

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
So Manos how exactly do you intend to fasten there tanks to the deck? and what is the deck made of? not self tapers surely ? The weight of a large tank plus fuel on a boat being driven to the max is something to consider which is why many of us prefer the things below the deck and well glassed in.

Pete

{Pete chucks a hand grenade into the discussion and legs it quick}
Old 12 February 2003, 20:28   #39

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
how exactly do you intend to fasten there tanks to the deck? and what is the deck made of?
OK will reval some secrets then LOLOL

1. The deck is moulded around the sides of the tank, about 5 cms high. On that step (is made out of light aircraft aluminum based material moulded on the deck) there are fixed D rings which with four very durable belts (made out of kevlar) crossing over on each tank the tanks are fastened VERY securely. I cannot realy explain it easily but you have to see it to understand the principals behind it. This system has been tested in MANY rough rases and is completely secure proof!!

2. Deck Material: This is made by a 'secret' very light but very durable compound. Cannot reveal it right now as it is in the testing stage and has not been patened yet. You have to wait and see.

Can't say and will not say anymore. You will have to wait until Plymouth to see the boat I recon.
Old 12 February 2003, 21:26   #40

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
EEEh Manos im looking forward to seeing this boat nearly as much as my own.

See ya Beeki.How is the Minor Bird.

He He He