Old 21 October 2004, 11:11   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
Appeal to DUTCH Ribbers

My Dutch friend wishes to obtain a Vaarbewijs (Competence certificate to us POMs) in Holland so that he can use his boat on the Dutch waterways. He also wishes to use his boat in Croatia so the certificate needs somewhat akin to the RYA International Certificate of Competence. Can you Dutch ribbers out there please assist him. Antwoorden in Nederlands of Engels AUB.
Old 21 October 2004, 13:24   #2

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
In Croatia you need at least Vaarbewijs I and a WA insurance made out in English. Practical is
an International Certificate for operators of pleasure craft (ANWB). Also a Certificate of registry of a fast motorboat. Before you get your boat in the water, go to the "Capitan" of the harbour. Show your papers, pay a small amount and get a triangle sticker fot that year. This all has to do with safety, so they know you're out at sea.
As Holland has a lot of coastline they think Vaarbewijs I is for coastal sailing. Better ofcourse to have Vaarbewijs II as well.
I've been in Croatia many times with my boat and this worked out fine.
Old 21 October 2004, 21:46   #3

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
I speak dutch but i'll keep it in english

In my oppinion it is rediculous that in Holland you need a different piece of paper than you need here, but in practice it is the same! however, laws are laws, and up on the maas (binnenvaart) the police make quite a bit of checks around. Out on sea i dont think you require any license, or do you.. i moved away before i got into into boating.

Anyway, best way round the RYA stuff for Croatia is probably taking a nice week on holiday out to Wales, or scotland or whatever you want to do, grab an easyjet ticket at £30,- both ways (or €45 ish) and go and sit in a Bed& breakfast for a while for about £10 a night, get 2 days training, get the Level 2 powerboat thing. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, and head home.. nice little relaxing holiday! (i believe the level 2 is around 170 quid, but cant remember as the Highland enterprises paid for mine as a skills for the community project)

okay.. hope i gave some ideas...

Bye,
Daniel.
Old 21 October 2004, 21:51   #4

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-d
Anyway, best way round the RYA stuff for Croatia is probably taking a nice week on holiday out to Wales, or scotland or whatever you want to do, grab an easyjet ticket at £30,- both ways (or €45 ish) and go and sit in a Bed& breakfast for a while for about £10 a night, get 2 days training, get the Level 2 powerboat thing. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, and head home.. nice little relaxing holiday! (i believe the level 2 is around 170 quid, but cant remember as the Highland enterprises paid for mine as a skills for the community project)

okay.. hope i gave some ideas...

Bye,
Daniel.
Not Possible I'm affraid, Yes you can take a level RYA 2 however the RYA will not issue an ICC to "foriegn" nationals. (so much for EC)

Brian
Old 21 October 2004, 21:57   #5

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
Gah.. what's the use of these pieces of paper anyway in that case then... so i can only use my Level 2 in the UK, and nowhere else? i was told i would be possible to hire boats practicly anywhere if id show the piece of paper!
Old 21 October 2004, 22:05   #6

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Mr d - there is a difference between RYA PB Level 2 and ICC. If you pass your Level 2 you can apply for the ICC but it is a separate piece of paper. My understanding is that the ICC will cover the holder in many countries (it is an 'International' Certificate of Competence after all!) and enable him/her to hire boats up to a certain size. What Ashbypower is saying is that the RYA will not award one to a non-UK citizen. Other countries have their own versions of the ICC available to their citizens. In France, for example, there is a test to pass which leads to their equivalent of the ICC. HTH (and sorry for butting in).
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2004, 07:19   #7

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Taitharris - I've just looked again at your first post and in order to operate on the inland continental waterways your friend will probably need the CEVNI (Code Europeen des Voies de la Navigation Interieure) endorsement to the ICC. In the UK this involves studying a small book of the regulations then passing a multiple choice test of around 15 questions. HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2004, 09:54   #8

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
As I said before, I traveled around with my boat to: France, Italy and Crotia with only Vaarbewijs I. Insurance made out in English AND Italian. The ANWB provides an ICC for that Vaarbewijs I. Later I got Vaarbewijs II as well and another ICC. There are many checks by the police in all those countries!
Vaarbewijs I is easy to get. Now is the time to start the study, because the examinations are this winter and before you get your papers it will be spring.