Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 December 2011, 11:28   #41

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
I raised the issue of chine walking , because it has come up before , and was acknowledged as a" potential issue " on 5.85 under the wrong conditions !

There are also real issues with manufacturer's warranties ( obviously only newer hulls ) and insurance cover if you exceed the recommended power & weight limits .
Old 02 December 2011, 13:34   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I did say it was (a tiny bit) OTT Also, I contacted Ribcraft & the insurers before I went ahead & they were both OK with it. As already said, the 135/150/175 were all the same block, price difference was minimal, all in all, it was silly not to
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2011, 15:58   #43

Town: Devon
Make: Ribtec 585
Engine: 115
Spoke to my insurance co, they said they don't care about angine size so long as boat speed cannot exceed 50kts which seems a tad silly from their perspective, sure the small print will say not to exceed manufacturers recomended hull speed etc. They quoted me £240 for 585 + engine ( total value £11k ) , boat left on a swinging mooring March to Nov , including ski and wake board cover but NOT inflatables , seems pretty reasonable to me .
Old 02 December 2011, 16:06   #44

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking61 View Post
Spoke to my insurance co, they said they don't care about angine size so long as boat speed cannot exceed 50kts which seems a tad silly from their perspective, sure the small print will say not to exceed manufacturers recomended hull speed etc. They quoted me £240 for 585 + engine ( total value £11k ) , boat left on a swinging mooring March to Nov , including ski and wake board cover but NOT inflatables , seems pretty reasonable to me .
Hi Viking
I have a RC 585 with 150 Mariner 2st and have had insurance from Euromarine for years. I also keep rib on swing mooring April-Oct and in compound for winter incl water skiing & toys ins for £12k total cost £196 including IPT.
I would give them a call and see.

ps chine-walking never a problem and I have been in some heavy stuff in the West & boat handles well I agree with PD its all down to the skipper and how the boat is set-up.
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2011, 16:21   #45

thanks Jambo , how much do you reckon your 150 weighs in at ? must be like sh1t off a shovel ?
Old 02 December 2011, 19:03   #46

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sweet Chilli
Make: Ribcraft 585/Wetline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90HP Yam 4HP
MMSI: 235084532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It's the flat spot at the stern where the keel looks like its been ground off. Triangular ish in shape, size depends on hull design. Could be a foot or so wide & extend 18" or so towards the bow
Dave,

I didn't know that, but did wonder why it was that shape
Old 02 December 2011, 21:16   #47

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
HI V
190kgs. Remember as far as insurance goes it never goes above 5o!! AS far speed is concerned with the right sea, wind conditions and with two up it can reach 45knts. fast enough when you need it but at that speed you need a tanker following you!!

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2011, 12:33   #48

thanks to all for your feedback , on the basis of advice i'm holding out for a 115 opti or 4 stroke , i think it'll make the boat more saleable ( it's my first rib and while i have used a friends for the summer i still may change my mind ). I was concerned about being a bit bum heavy but i've just picked up a new double console so i'm planning to mount it a foot nearer the bow and put a 100L fuel tank inside the console to balance the whole thing better. 2 double jockeys behind the console , should look and go very nicely.
Old 22 December 2011, 18:02   #49

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
[QUOTE=Yes we're all guilty of it. Boats, cars, bikes, computers, women [/QUOTE]

I got a size 10 woman in 1971 and she is now a size 18, she used to be a 4 or more stroke now I'm lucky if she even tries a single stoke!
Old 22 December 2011, 19:07   #50

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
I got a size 10 woman in 1971 and she is now a size 18, she used to be a 4 or more stroke now I'm lucky if she even tries a single stoke!
Well,being a Happilly married man I could'nt possibly comment!! BOAT Though definATELY =''Bring-Out-Another-Thousand''!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2012, 20:30   #51

going to look at a mariner 115 4s next week , just got a new oddysey console and 2 double jockeys from the Ribeye sale, so may as well go the whole hog on the motor . any reccomendation for stearing , hydraulic is my pref .
Old 02 January 2012, 21:18   #52

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
I have the Baystar on mine, seems fine - Enjoy the fitting out the console, just replaced my gauges and it was nightmare.
Old 02 January 2012, 22:57   #53

hmm, not that brave , gonna get the engine supplier to fit . i've not fixed the console in ( or the seats ) yet , figure it will be easier to do it all at once after all the controls and guages are in place . also thinking to put a plastic 100L fuel tank in the console to balance it all up a bit , any other advice as you own the same ?
Old 03 January 2012, 10:01   #54

My tank is under the deck and the battery is in the console, so can't help there - This is mine, it's ok but the compass is useless where it is, I think it's there to give access to the gauges and I'd have moved the plotter closer to the helm - it's a right mess in side, and with the seats fitted it's impossible to get decent access to the hatch at the front, have asked my daughter to help but she wasn't interested, not even for pink plastic.

I'm bringing it home later in the week so if any other angles would help then I can take some more images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	64724  
Old 03 January 2012, 10:46   #55

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Optimax 75 you can upgrade to 90-115hp

Optimax 90 up to 125 hp

The 115 have different gear ratio or different gearbox. But to uppgrade a new or used opti is no problem at all.

Many do that in Sweden Lundins Marin R&D
Old 14 January 2012, 16:49   #56

ok , after lots of thinking i've comitted to a Mariner 115 4 stroke , 2010 with 150 hours , the new Oddysey console and 2 double jockeys from Ribeye are going in at the same time as the engine , GPS, sounder, engine guages and fuel guage also. A new 100 litre tank mounted inside the console , batteries in the help jockey. Very excited to see it all come together , pictures to follow imminently !!!
Old 14 January 2012, 17:51   #57

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Marty
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Engine: Yamaha 85 Origin
Hi, I had a RC585 with a Yamaha F115 Xtra Long Shaft. Heavy engine and I must admit I would not have like anything less HP than that. Sometimes it was on the limit getting on the plane etc when fully loaded. Light load was not a problem.
Old 14 January 2012, 19:02   #58

i think they are a heavy hull . don't expect to be any more than 2 adults and 2 children 90% of the time. I couldnt really see how i could go for much more weight on the transom without making it really bum heavy and fuel economy was a big deal for me , not least as i hate carrying cans and paying marina prices for fuel !
Old 18 January 2012, 13:01   #59

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Marty
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Engine: Yamaha 85 Origin
I agree on the fuel prices, I also used to full up in cans from the station. Also I used to get between 5 and 6 miles to the gallon with 4 to 5 people onboard in a slight sea. So your 115 Mariner should be good and well suited to that boat.
Old 18 January 2012, 13:16   #60

My last trip I was getting 6 gallons per hour at 25 knots but quite a heavy sea and trimmed out as far as I dared, same engine but I think mine is a lighter boat.