Old 09 February 2002, 17:00   #1

Town: PORT TOWNSEND
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4.8
Engine: Yamaha F60
Any Ribcraft 4.8 rigging tips ? ? ?

I thought I'd go to the mother country, and the Source, for any rigging tips for our soon to arrive Ribcraft 4.8 with Yamaha F60. I've read through the RB4 threads and many other posts on this excellent forum.

I'm interested in recommendations on compasses, electronics, transducer mounting, fuel storage (I couldn't afford the below-deck fuel tank), prop sizing, clothing, ANYTHING AT ALL, you've acquired from hard experience in the real (wet) world. The RB4 was a great event and makes good reading.

Does anybody use a Dole Fin?

thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 12 February 2002, 13:30   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
I have just purchased a doel fin. it certainly helped the boat get up on the plane quicker and helped to plane at a lower speed so I am sure it helped to save fuel too...
As for all electronics positioning depends on how they are constructed ie entirely waterproof, or splash proof and what style console you have...
I built a console from scratch as part of an A-level design project and was able to design it to incorporate the equipment to be housed on it...
As for fuel tank storage... if there is no space under the console then a strap to hold the tank down with a quick release buckle seems to be the norm on most RIBs...
Alex
Old 12 February 2002, 14:41   #3

Thanks Badbaws. I'm inclined to try the Doelfin on my new motor. I'm going to wait and see how the F60/4.8 combination comes out of the hole before I decide.
I've used a Doelfin on a 30 HP 2 stroke Yamaha with a 3.5 m AB boat and the fin cured porpoising entirely.

Nick
Old 12 February 2002, 15:00   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You shouldn't really need a Doelfin on a decent RIB. If it's properly set up the hull should do the work.

They can be useful in some situations, but I wouldn't fit one as standard. Definitely see how you go first, and make sure that you have looked at things like weight distribution, engine height, prop size and pitch before you go bolting stuff on.

John
Old 12 February 2002, 18:39   #5

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Nick

I also dont think you will need a fin.

My 50 pulls the 4.8 onto a plane in no time so the 60 should have no problems.

As far as fuel goes try strapping the fuel tank in FRONT of the console and run the fuel pipe down the engine cable trunking (with some extra protection).
I have a under floor tank and find that the 4.8 likes the weight kept forward for best peformance and ride.
I carry my spare 5 gallon there using two ratchet straps all the way round the drivers seat/console
Also I dont know how much you intend to carry but a flexi tank could also be an option.

As the prop goes I intend to drop a inch pitch but would recomend trying before any swap and dont do anything till the engine is FULLY run in say after 40-50 hours and not just the 20 hour in the manual.

What else have I done, Garmin GPSMAP 176 works well as the console is very small. And a good compass in a must I got RIbcraft to fit mine but think its about 85 mm class.

The last think is a decent bilge pump. The drain on the back of the Ribcraft 4.8 is far too small, being maybe 1.25" dia.
Also the drain does not work till your on the plane and the 4.8 wont plane half full of water I know !!. The best option would be twin elephant trunks but I have fitted a 1500 GPH pump. This will empty the boat quite quick when you get swamped (a good bucket also helps).
I did not drill the transom but made a rigid pipe up and hooked it over the transon next to the motor mounts whene it is clipped to. The pump is free in the transom well but does not move around due to rigid piping.

I have som other mods for this year but dont think they are specific to the 4.8 as a boat.

Have fun

Gary
Old 12 February 2002, 18:45   #6

Gary,
tell me about a flexitank. The flexible bladder style tanks I've seen are for diesel or non flamables. Are there ones for gasoline?
Nick
Old 12 February 2002, 18:51   #7

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Nick

Yes you can get them for petrol. The RNLI use them on their D class life boats (Inshore).

The fasten to the tubes on one or both sides. I dont know how much they hold but would guess at about 5-10 gallons. The only down side is they are a sod to fill.

I also think thay some of the RB4 crews used them so may have more info.

Regards Gary
Old 13 February 2002, 18:50   #8

Flexitank info???

Does any one have a source they can give me for flexitanks for petrol for use in a rib?

Nick
Old 14 February 2002, 16:11   #9

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Nick Although Flexi tanks serve a purpose, they are also a pain. They are expensive, difficult to fill and very unreliable when it comes to how long they last. My advise is to use the boat and get used to it.When you are happy, experiment with 20 gallon barrels of water for balance. You are in the best place to buy extra tanks. Boats US or similar are by far better sources than flexi tanks.

Alan P
Old 20 February 2002, 01:53   #10

(confessed equipment hound)

Thanks Alan, good advice. Sometimes chasing down equipment leads becomes the sport in itself (its a winter hazzard).

Nick
Old 20 February 2002, 16:47   #11

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Nick,

How is the interior of your boat ?
Is it equiped with jokeys or benches ? I think the best way to get some room is to have a rear bench and underneath placed the fuel tank(s). A second bench in front of the console will give you extra storage space. Plus you can make them yourself with no extra knowledge or skill, using plywood and some inox parts. A cushion on the top will give some comfort.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2002, 17:06   #12

Batfalcon,
the interior is a two person jockey seat/console. I intend to do exactly what you suggest with a rear bench under which is fuel and misc. storage.
I'm thinking of making a fold down seat in front of the console. Still working on that idea.

Nick
Old 20 February 2002, 17:43   #13

Town: Durham
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D3 160hp
MMSI: 235034618
This http://www.seaflex.co.uk/sfww.html company makes flexible tanks.
Old 21 February 2002, 16:03   #14

Thanks Paul. It interesting that in the USA flexible tanks are marketed for diesel and water but never for gasoline. Are they approved for gasoline in the UK?

Nick
Old 21 February 2002, 22:08   #15

Town: Durham
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D3 160hp
MMSI: 235034618
I am not an authority on this matter but this is the company which makes flexible tanks for our Lifeboat institution which use gasoline for their outboards. When I e-mailed the company they said that they could supply tanks suitable for gasoline.
Old 18 July 2002, 15:31   #16

Town: West London
Make: ribcraft
Engine: Mariner 50 4stroke outboard
I have ribcraft 4.8 with one jockey seat.

Intend to make up my own T shaped bench/ jockey seat with a removable back rest on the jockey seat part. This way the rider has something between their knees, and a back rest to brace themselves against. And I get plenty of dry storage.

I don't think there is enough room in the stern for a 2nd jockey seat and a separate bench seat/ storage box as well. Not in a 4.8.

A bench seat alone would be hell for a passenger going fast in rough water - they need something between their knees OR plenty of room to move their feet and brace themsleves properly when standing up. And with a bench seat behind them, there just is not enough room.

A 2nd jockey seat is fine for the ride, but doesn't give enough space to store things.

So far as balance is concerned, I have an under floor tank. With 80 litres of extra fuel in plastic cans, and 12stone of passenger, I can store things in the bows and the ride is excellent. With half the fuel gone, I have to move some of the stuff in the bows further back, or be careful with the throttle/ trim to stop the bows digging into the back of the wave in front.

Personally, I would not want to sit on a front bench seat in a 4.8 RIB when under way. For storage it is easier to lash things down under a tarpaulin with a 'cargo net' of elastic cords over the top.

Robert
Old 17 December 2003, 14:02   #17

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4.8m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI
Ribcraft 4.8 extra fuel

Robert JL,

I also have a Ribcraft 4.8 with the underdeck tank (55l). You say you can carry 80l in plastic tanks. Where do you put all this extra fuel. The lockers under my jockey seats (3) are very small. The other options are the anchor locker or on deck. I would be interested to hear your ideas.

Also any other practical advice you could offer for me embarking on a season in a 4.8 would be much appreciated!

Robert
Old 17 December 2003, 15:13   #18

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I fitted a plastic tank inside the console on my 5.3m. The weight of the fuel and the anchor chain etc means it gets up on the plane very easily even without PTT. Most of the problems associated with this are IMO related to too much weight at rear of the boat.
I didn't fit a compass and don't see the need if using fixed GPS. The problems trying to get an accurate reading so close to the electrical/electronics in a small console and the cost of a half decent one aren't worth it. Better to spend the money on getting a better GPS or plotter and carry a small hillwalking type one in the flares box. (be honest, with a GPS the only time you will need it is in the event of GPS failure)
If room for it carry a proper anchor and chain, you can buy small Bruce anchors for about £20 that don't take up much room. A sea anchor is also a very usefull thing to carry to make sure you don't drift too far if it all goes pear shaped.
Old 17 December 2003, 18:44   #19

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
i

Hi

You should maybe speak to Paul Tilley regarding collapsible fuel tanks, he makes them. From what i remember the RNLI use these but you can not store fuel in them for long periods of time. Anyway Paul's number 01803833309
Old 18 December 2003, 09:36   #20

Town: West London
Make: ribcraft
Engine: Mariner 50 4stroke outboard
Hi Robert1,

If I think I am going to need all that fuel I put 2 X 20litre in the stern - these have their own fuel lines for direct connection to the motor in a hurry at sea,

plus 2 X 20litre jerry cans one each side of the console (in front of my knees) for filling up the underfloor tank in calm waters or beached etc.

There is a fair sized anchor, chain and anchor line in the bow locker, and plastic tanks can be moved - so no problems trimming the boat.

RobertJL