Old 27 April 2005, 09:00   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Any recommendations?..

Any recommendations on ski ropes guys at all please - I'm guessing it would be of the floating type to avoid fouling the prop - I'll be using 2 small ski hooks mounted fairly low but above the water line on the transom - any good un's out there youre using?

I'd trying to keep the cost down a bit, after all its only a short bit of glorified rope with a bit of rubber hose on it!!! - but at the same time dont wanna uncessarily stress the back of the boat buying the wrong thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	11531  
Old 27 April 2005, 09:06   #2
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Olly, remember at rest if your searider still has the flooding hull the ski hooks will be much lower than on a dry hulled boat, you may find it dificult to connect them at rest so be sure to account for this!

I ve got tow s/s 'D' rings in the back of my transom and I use a bridle between the two, that spreads the load. I ve got two of those multi coloured floating ski ropes from the chandler, and they seem to do the job ok, apparently they are the ideal length for skiing but I would'nt know! They are about £22 in the shop but you can have one of mine off me for a tenner and the postage ( they are both as new). Pm me if your interested.

Alex
Old 27 April 2005, 09:07   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I bought one........

.........a couple of years ago for £19.99 - cheap and cheerful - works a treat. However recently I was given (with my new boat) a professional type. The difference between the two would not effect the novice skier like me/you. The Pro' on has different coloured sections which can be adjusted to length, the grab handle is far superior and more comfortable and the overall quality appears better and longer lasting. However, to the novice I would say this means nothing, therefore, buy what your pocket will allow. Baring in mind you'll only use it say, 20 times a year if you're lucky !

The one thing I would reccomend is a "ski bridal" which attaches you your towing eyes and centralises the ski rope whilst also keeping it away from the engine and prop.
Old 27 April 2005, 10:14   #4

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
thanks guys, going to have a nose in north shore watersports at lunchtime see what they have - I may come back to u ADS
Old 27 April 2005, 17:41   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
Any recommendations on ski ropes guys at all please -
Polypropylene. Less stretch (which can be dangerous, BTW, when it is released from load), floats, comes in bright (read: visible) colors.

Handles, I believe, are usually a rubber-covered plastic.

A bridle will help the boat to steer easier when pulling at an angle.

jky