Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Any Americans out there?

Keith

You better remember this if you move to a bigger boat

This is supposed to be true.....

Last summer, down on Lake Isabella, located in the high desert, an hour east of Bakersfield, California, some folks, new to boating, were having a problem. No matter how hard they tried, they couldn't get their brand new 22ft Bay liner to perform. It wouldn't get on a plane at all, and it was very sluggish in almost every maneuver, no matter how much power was applied. After about an hour of trying to make it go, they putted to a nearby marina, thinking someone there could tell them what was wrong.

A thorough topside check revealed everything in perfect working condition. The engine ran fine, the out drive went up and down, and the prop was the correct size and pitch. So, one of the marina guys jumped in the water to check underneath. He came up choking on water, he was laughing so hard.

NOW REMEMBER THIS IS TRUE....

Under the boat, still strapped securely in place, was the trailer............

Old 18 January 2002, 16:56   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi Jools,

TRAILER? What is this trailer thingy? Should I get one?

Okay so here is my trailer story.

The second time I took my SIB out on the river Severn @ Worcester, there was a chap using the slipway and to be honest he did not look like he knew what he was doing from the start. Of course this was MY second time out so I was by now an expert!

He had a big 4x4 and a large speedboat on a 2 axle trailer. He gingerly backed down the slip until the prop was in the water. Just the prop mind you, nothing else. Then he stopped, pulled on the handbrake and got into the boat. Now he started up the engine and engaged the prop! (Now, I realise that I know absolutley nothing about launching a boat off a trailer, BUT, even I know that the boat actualy has to be IN the water)

He then remained in the boat and whilst sitting in it he proceeded to rev the engine as high as possible. My pal and I sat watching this in a rather bemused manner. Water was splashed everywhere, the engine screamed and of course the boat remained firmly on the trailer!

The man looked rather perplexed, scratched his head and tried again. Same effect, lots of splashes, noise and nothing else.

After another try, my pal (a Geordie not known for his tact) shouted over, "What the hell are you trying to do?"

"I'm launching the boat", he shouted back.

"Well you'd best get the thing in the bloody water first", my pal offered by way of advice.

"Bloody weekend sailors", my pal; shouted as we squirted off into the river on OUR second time out in the SIB.

When we returned a couple of hours later the 'weekend sailor' and his kit were gone. Maybe the boat, trailer and 4x4 were all at the bottom of the river!

Cheers

Keith (SIBsters put it in the back) Hart
Old 18 January 2002, 21:35   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Talking of launching

Previous to having the RIB I had a Fletcher.

While on the beach recovering my boat, I made the mistake of letting my Grandfather drive my new Hilux Crewcab. I wound the boat on to the trailer and told my grandad to hit the gas, He did and the car sank in to the sand, Doh!!!

So the tide is about 30 mins from blocking my access to the road. We were the only people on the beach!!!

So after the low ratio box didnt get us out. Got the high lift jack out, no - sand was to soft. I couldn't belive it - I regulary go off roading in 4X4's but this thing wouldn't budge, I sent the other half for help, as the tide was up to the sills on the car (exhaust way under water).

So it wouldn't come out !!!!!!!!!

Untill I had this crazy idea, attached a line from my towbar to my transom on the fletcher. Let my grandad sit in the Hilux. I hit the gas in the boat (pulling the Hilux in the water further). my grandad quickly hit the gas in the car it moved out of the holes in to the water. He quickly locked it over to the left and drove forward.

Sorted - Finally got it out !!!!!!!!! Just made it to the road driving through 1.5 ft of water.

Down the Jet Wash and get that chassis washed down!!!!!!!!
Old 23 January 2002, 22:10   #4

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Heres another one..
Just a few small points to remember when launching a sportsboat (particularly in Brittany):
1. Make sure the slipway doesnt have a 2 metre sheer drop just below the tide level.
2. Make sure you unhitch your trailer from your beautiful new Jaguar before boat falls off said sheer drop.
3. Make sure you do NOT reverse even more until the back wheels drop off said sheer drop.
4. Make sure you have a large crane nearby.
5. Make sure you have plenty of leather seat cleaner.
[p.s. he wasnt French..]
Old 27 January 2002, 22:29   #5

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat

Any more please?

Keith (don't need one) Hart
Old 27 January 2002, 22:49   #6

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
I ran a marine Rescue exercise a few years ago involving representatives from several government , national and local or private rescue groups .

On the morning of the exercise one of the ( better known ) groups felt that there was no need to attend the morning brief and thought that their time would be better spent in getting in first ahead of the queue at the slip way and launching while the other eejits were attending the brief.

I sent word that I was "Not impressed " and they abandoned the launch of one of their inflatables half way through and reported for the brief leaving the boat still on the slip way with the launching trolley still attached but submerged out of view .

After the brief when they returned to their boat still on the slip way , each thought the other had taken care of the trailer. They started up and reversed out slowly into the middle of the bay before oening up the throtle. It took them 5 minutes of driving round and looking at the engine before the copped why the boat wouldn't plane !

I should point out that they were in their first few weeks of operation on the D Class and were all brand new shiny volunteers .

Several years on they are now among the finest of Atlantic 75 Crews !!

Best wishes ,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote