Old 03 April 2007, 08:44   #1

Town: Emsworth
Length: 6m +
Antifouling Advice

Have taken the decision to antifoul my rib this year and have just finished searching all the previous threads on the subject. Generally content on how to apply except for the transom.

Last year I had the transom built up to accept an XL shaft with a steel sheet over marine ply. My questions are these:

1. Should the antifoul be applied right up to the engine bracket, covering the wood and steel sheet?
2. Do I need to use a different antifoul for hull and engine?
3. Do I need to leave a gap between antifoul and engine?

I intend to use a 'hard' antifoul, although undecided on which and will gladly take recommendations. Also several people have alluded to antifoul for the tubes - has anybody any experience with these?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01695.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	25965  
Old 03 April 2007, 10:20   #2

Town: Portsmouth, Hants
Length: 5m +
You will need to use an appropriate primer on the metal, but you ought to use primer on the hull anyway. At the end of the day the whole point of antifouling is to prevent growth, I would suggest you painted any part of the hull below the water line. I think that International offer a good range of products. Your choice would be between Interspeed/Trilux or VC
Boatcareuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2007, 17:35   #3

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
If that's ordinary steel on the transom, it needs priming and painting before antifouling or it will corrode badly. (You probably know that - sorry)

Most antifoulings contain copper these days I think. Copper and aluminium (engine) sizzle in seawater and it's the aluminium that disappears.

When I antifouled mine, I left a couple of centimetres gap around the engine bracket. End of season there was a little growth on the bracket and trim cylinder, not too hard to get off, and no corrosion. The anode on the engine bracket erodes much more quickly than before and will have to be replaced next season.

Just about to antifoul again before launching. Will use International, but avoid 'Dover White', because it's grey not white - and it turns greenish in the 'splash' zone.