Old 10 May 2021, 10:35   #1

Town: Emsworth
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Mercury
Anti-fouling a rib

Hi I am a complete newbie to Ribs but have literally just purchased my first this morning.

The rib has always been trailered so never anti-fouled however I will be keeping on my existing mooring so need to do it.

This issue I have is the hull has been completely renovated so I have no idea on the waterline. I don't really want to have to put in, leave and then clean and then anti-foul just to get this line so wondered if anyone can help with where to start and finish.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and as I haven't actually received it yet I'm aware there might be something on the boat that will indicate this. If so then my apologies in advance for being a newbie
Old 10 May 2021, 12:50   #2

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
If you do a bit of a google of your make and model, there's a whole bunch of pictures of them at rest that should point you in the right direction.
Old 10 May 2021, 14:11   #3

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
I got new tubes a few years ago and was in the similar situation. I painted the hull at home. I then launched the boat and marked the tubes with a permanent marker, wiped down the tubes with acetone and painted in the Marina parking lot. Was pretty easy. Since the tubes were brand new they were clean I just need to wipe them down.
Old 10 May 2021, 15:01   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
If you want the job done accurately then getting afloat for a week or so will help. Mark up, allowing a bit extra to account for splash area growth. A laser level works well, taping to suit. Extra loading of fuel and gear should be allowed for too.
Old 14 May 2021, 07:10   #5

Thanks everyone, I've spoken to local chap in the boat yard who suggested as the entire boat is black why not just do the entire hull. Probably should have considered that first but had just seen so many to the water line.
He recommended the hard racing antifoul by hempal as it's so much smoother and now it's on other than being Matt not gloss now it's actually very hard to tell it's ever done.

Really appreciate all your comments thank you and I'm sure there will be more questions 😬
Old 14 May 2021, 11:00   #6

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Don't do the whole hull!

The gloss/reflections from the gelcoat, even when black, are integral to the good looks of a boat on the water.

Transoms look awful when anti-fouled all the way up, as does the front of the hull.
I've been there, let them do the complete hull, then spent cold winter days removing it back down to the waterline. Visually the difference was huge.

Just one man's opinion mind you.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:42   #7

Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard, 40hp
I wouldn't do the entire hull either. When it dries it wipes off very easy. You will get it all over you if you touch it.
Also, make sure you use the correct paint for fiberglass and the tubes. The tubes need specific paint to flex. It will crack over time and be a pain to remove. It took me days to remove the paint from the previous owner that used regular bottom paint on the tubes.

I still say paint the hull and most of the tubes at home with proper prep. Then launch the boat, mark the water line, retrieve the boat, then wipe the area clean, tape the water line, and paint in the parking lot. Takes very little time.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:02   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Er, lads, the OP has it painted already. To the armpits

Old 14 May 2021, 14:30   #9

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
My Bad! Apologies
Old 16 May 2021, 19:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
My Bad! Apologies
no worries, actually I love it and there is so little actually out of the water it would only ever really notice on a super bright day I think.

Really appreciate the responses though, thank you!

Tags
rib