Old 06 May 2003, 16:29   #41

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Hi Colin,

It certainly looks a nice boat and I'm a little envious but not quite ready for a new one just yet.

I have my RIB stored at Church Farm Boat Storage:-
http://www.boshamvillage.co.uk/Trade..._boating_2.htm
It's undercover and they are very good there - also very secure and at £2.20 + VAT per ft per month, quite reasonable. The down side is that I have to tow to launch - the nearest being Chichester Marina. As JK said, this means a 40min trip to the harbour mouth before you can open her up.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2003, 18:06   #42

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Wow, quick boat then. Yep I would be worried about towing it to a foreign country (Cornwall) as well.

If you are already thinking about changing consoles, can I suggest you do nothing until the winter. Trust me I know how many hours of work is involved. If you are after a cheap fuel tank to get you by for the summer then the boat scrap yard in Lower Swanwick on the Hamble is the place to try. They have an ISO full of odd tanks both stainless and plastic.

Pete
Old 06 May 2003, 18:29   #43

Town: Alton
Boat name: Arrow Flight
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 175 EFI
MMSI: 235026883
Ribald...thanks for the pointer, I'll add it to the list for checking out!

Pete....I don't plan to change the console, only add whatever mounts or gauges required for the electronics.

The 4 plastic fuel cans are also in the console, but since we're thinking of adding 2 further two man pods seats in the rear, it occurs to me that we could put a tank in each pod before bonding them to the deck, thereby allowing us to bin the 4 plastic cans in the console and use it for storage instead.

Don't know whether this is either sensible or possible? But it would increase the fuel storage a lot and simplify the feed system. Any thoughts.

I've uploaded a pic for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20030506-036-web-small.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2061  
Old 06 May 2003, 19:05   #44

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Looks like you have identical guage location setup to what I had when I first got my Destroyer...... since then, I've managed to flush mount a garmin gpsmap 182, garmin 160 blue fishfinder, and the icom 503 vhf inc icom ds100 dsc controller. It took a bit of fiddling about with bits of paper cut to the same size as the components to be installed, but it all got in in the end!!

The problem I had was getting the battery out from the front of the console - that took about 35mins to do by means of 6 screwdrivers, and lots of gaffa tape (to stop the thing from dropping on my foot)
Flushmounting everything sounded a good idea at the time, and it does look good, but the whole job with my console took about 4 complete days to get sorted and wired..... there really is not much room in there!! Once the battery goes back in, and gets fastened down, it's pretty well impossible to get your arm back in.... all this is assuming the battery is on the higher level in the same compartment as the steering wheel unit. If you'd like me to send you some pictures of the console in bits, let me know.

Damn.... 55mph..... that's over 10mph faster than my 6m with 140 bolted to the back

One solid boat you have there.... have fun....

-Alex
Old 06 May 2003, 19:20   #45

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Blunting blades

If you can avoid it, don't use blades, use an angle grinder. It takes seconds. Lots of dust though.

JW.
Old 06 May 2003, 20:42   #46

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Ref: Places to store boats, I have mine in dry storage at Warsash Marine on the Hamble - early days yet, but seems to offer all I want for apprx. 1/3 the cost of a marina berth (with no need to anti-foul), and only 5 minutes from Southampton Water where the Hamble speed / wash restrictions do not apply. My boat is called 'Pilchard' (after Bob the Builder's cat!!!!) - If any of you see us in the Solent, do come over and say Hi.
Old 06 May 2003, 22:34   #47

Town: Northumberland
Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Re: Blunting blades

Quote:
Originally posted by jwalker
If you can avoid it, don't use blades, use an angle grinder. It takes seconds. Lots of dust though.

JW.
Better still, use a diamond grit blade in your jigsaw (Bosch T130)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blade.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	2068  
Old 07 May 2003, 05:41   #48
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
NEW BOAT

Colin

You know it is me ! You have seen my dogs ! Looking forward to picking it up this PM perhaps we should go via some water?
will phone on return from darkest Kent .
J
Old 07 May 2003, 05:44   #49

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
Towing an unbraked trailer

The legal limit for unbraked trailer is 750kg so I would be very wary of going any distance with your size of boat and no brakes. I have a Ribcraft 5.85 with a Yamaha F100 and I took the boat and trailer along to a weigh bridge to check that I was not overloading the trailer which is rated for 1.4 tonnes. Turns out that the whole rig with spare 4hp outboard and 130 litres of fuel, weighs in at 1.3 tonnes (1300kg).
My guess is that a 7 metre boat and a 175 hp engine is going to weigh a lot more than this and there is always the temptation to throw loads of kit onto the boat. Going downhill on a wet road could be an unstoppable experience. American trailer are great for short trips and last forever, you probably have spring loaded grease caps on the bearings, which make it virtually impossible for water to get into the bearings. In a perfect world you want to keep the American trailer for launching and recovering on the short trips to the south coast and get a braked trailer for hammering down the motorway.
Old 07 May 2003, 07:30   #50

Thank you J...only kidding...knew it was you!

Geoff, spot on with the trailer, grease caps and all. Your two-trailer scenario makes sense and I should be able to store the braked trailer locally. I'll know more when I get the storage yard sorted out.

ATB
Old 07 May 2003, 07:36   #51

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda 250hp
American Trailers

A local boat yard to me started bringing in yank trailer with binliners sorry bayliners, A couple of people lost their trailers of their cars. The problem was the ball hitch size is different in the uk (50mm) than to the states (55mm or 60mm) - so i'm told.
Old 07 May 2003, 08:16   #52

Town: Newfoundland
US Imperial so n inches vs UK metric 50mm. Doh!
Old 07 May 2003, 09:41   #53

Yep.... thanks guys....previous owner of this US trailer & Humber rib is a member of HM Constabulary. He mentioned the ball hitch size difference and we're going to attach the US ball size for towing home.

We also had a chat about legality of towing 7m ribs with big engines on unbraked single axle trailers. He's owned it for 2 years and encountered no difficulties.
Old 07 May 2003, 13:17   #54
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Outnabout
legality of towing 7m ribs with big engines on unbraked single axle trailers
Leaving the law to one side for a moment, do you really want to do this? You had better have something seriously substantial as a tow vehicle or you're going to be all over the place.

John
Old 07 May 2003, 13:40   #55

I followed the seller form his home to a local slip and back yesterday for a try out and it was a non event.

Lurcher is towing it home for me and he has plenty of experience in such matters and I will be guided by him. You concern is appreciated though. All vehicles involved to date are heavy 4wd's.

ATB