Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 March 2008, 18:17   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Angry - Kings Head, Yarmouth IOW

Every time there is a Ribnet cruise to Yarmouth, we seem to go to the Kinds Head. On the last two big cruises I have phoned ahead and booked tables. We have come to put up with the slow service, and the fact the people always seem to end up with the wrong meals, but today really took the biscuit as far as I am concerned.

Me, Ju and Andy (aka Rasher) went to Yarmouth a few weeks ago, and had lunch at the Kings Head. We all had the burger which was absolutely fantastic; big, and full of extras like chili, mushrooms, bacon cheese etc. We vowed to go back and have another some time!

This morning we decided that today was the perfect day to go for a cruise; the weather was lovely and the sea was calm. We decided to go to Yarmouth, motivated primarily by the thought of a big juicy Kings Head burger. I phoned the pub to make sure they were serving them - I was told food was available until 3pm.

We got to Yarmouth a 1430, and had to faff around for ten minutes as the ferries are currently using the wall that we normally tie up to. Thinking that we might miss the deadline for food we ran from the marina to the pub. We headed straight to the bar and said we wanted to order food (it was 1445 by this point) whereupon we were told "no" by the young blonde behind the bar. I thought she was joking and said something along the lines of "ha ha we all want burgers" to which she relied "its too late for food". I told her I had rang to check times, explaining I had spoken to a young chap on the phone. Her reaction was "oh.......well we stopped at 2.30. In any case, you were pushing it a bit fine for 3pm". We explained we had come all the way from Portsmouth for a burger, but she really couldn't have cared less.

This pub really is a joke; we knew this before, but today really did confirm how crap they are. I certainly won't be going back. We ended up having lunch in the Bugle, just up the road. I vented my anger to the barman there who told me he used to work at the Kings Head, but it had gone down hill in recent years. Too right it has!

Ps the burger in the Bugle was almost as good so that was a bonus!
Old 30 March 2008, 18:33   #2

Length: 6m +
Rising Sun in Hamble did a really nice burger at lunchtime today. Arrived 10mins after ordering, too.
Old 30 March 2008, 18:49   #3

Town: Fareham
I like the Kings head burger too. Always had good service, if a little slow at times. It does get extremely busy at lunchtime however. But then again so does the Folly and had pretty prompt service fom them. Thank's for the "Heads" up Tim.

Did a bit of work on Solent Viper then traveled to Aregate today, lunch was fantastic!! Full Lamb Roast with all the trimmings.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2008, 19:39   #4

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
I don't think that highly of The Kings Head. I get the impression they think "Oh, more f**king yotties!" when we walk in. Its just mega-convenient.

We should organise our spending power and negotiate a deal, or deals, with somewhere else.
Old 30 March 2008, 19:51   #5

I don't think it would be too hard. I have a Deane and Reddyhoff discount card that gets me money off several pubs around the Solent. Maybe if Mr Kennett wanted to, he could set this up, and offer a discount card for each Ribnet supporter.
Old 30 March 2008, 20:39   #6

Town: Portsmouth
Length: no boat
The only thing that prevented me from jumping over the bar and ripping her head off was she was quite photogenic and there were a couple of jolly chappys at the bar, I was f***ing furious with her. when we went at xmas the owner was brill and made food after ordering had officially stopped. this bint really was quite rude. However I recomend the other pub we went to as the chappy in there was really friendly and they had a supperb looking beer garden. and the second pub was a PUB not a crappy franchise which is unfortunatly what the queens legs aka kings head has become. so yeh all rib net folk please do not go to the kings head as they are unpleasnt hoodid type folk behind the bar who dont like customers.
love rasher
...and consumer
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2008, 22:02   #7

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Lunch today

We went to the Lifeboat at East Cowes Marina. Great food served quickly and some good seats to sit in either inside or out. Gavin
Old 30 March 2008, 23:18   #8

Town: Portsmouth
It wasn't so much the fact that we were told that they would keep serving till 3, but the blunt, arrogant and downright rude way in which she told us that the person had 'lied' to us on the phone. When serving people at my workplace I would always make the effort to create the best service possible for the person I'm serving, and I think Ju, Tim Andy and I all got the impression that she felt it was an effort to even talk to us.

On the more optimistic side of things, the pub we ended up in (the Bugle) was really very pleasant and the chappie was, as aforementioned, very nice.
Old 31 March 2008, 02:45   #9

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Shame if it has gone downhill. It used to be one of my favourites...

I once left my wallet in the car on the mainland and discovered the shocking truth as we were tying up to the wall. My anticipation of 4 pints of Flowers and the chilli burrito instantly evaporated.

I explained the situation to Tony (?) - short, older guy, bald with grey hair at the sides - and he was happy to run me a tab, just asked me to send them a cheque during the week.

Not many pubs will do that in this day and age.
Old 31 March 2008, 07:21   #10

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Solution!

If you know the hours during which food is served and are marginal, always order the drinks before mentioning that you want to order food.

When there are nine drinks on the bar and you mention ordering food and they say it's too late, refuse to pay for the drinks since you need to go and find food somewhere else.

It gets their attention!

I just hate places where the customer is a major inconvenience.

Tony
Old 31 March 2008, 08:44   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Tim

We had a almost identical incident at the Kings head last year, were on a yachting course, phoned the pub to check what time they served food to, arrived 20 mins before food supposedly stopped.

When I said to the bar staff that we had phoned ahead the reponse was efectivly "So what- your problem not ours". The only solution to this klind of mentality is to vote with your feet. If they do not want our hard earned cash then there are planety other pubs that do.
Old 31 March 2008, 09:14   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Has anyone complained to the owner rather than the bar person ?

Are the owners aware of your problems ?
Old 31 March 2008, 09:26   #13

They will be once they've read my letter!
Old 31 March 2008, 14:03   #14
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
The only thing that prevented me from jumping over the bar and ripping her head off .......
yew sownd lyke a luvverly pirsun

Quote:
do not go to the kings head as they are unpleasnt hoodid type folk behind the bar
doo thay rip heds orf?

gaRf
Old 31 March 2008, 17:05   #15

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Blue Crab

I've been going to the Kings head since I woz a nipper and has always been great until....................the end of last year. Last two visits were crap. Food and service very poor.

Bank hols. Monday, 4 of us chose to do lunch in the Blue Crab instead. (had done eve dinner before) House lunch £5!!!!!!
Think the bill with a starter and beers for 4 came to about £37! Staff are attentive, cheerfuful, inteligent and genarally attractive people.

I wonder if it will be the same next time? Hope so.
Old 31 March 2008, 20:47   #16
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
I was on a beach in teneriefe a few years ago, several bars around, one proclaiming to be english. "come in to jim and jans for a real english welcome".
Went in at 3pm, asked for a sandwich "sorry, we stop serving food at 2pm".
Went to the spanish bar instead for food.
Old 31 March 2008, 21:38   #17

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
The only thing that prevented me from jumping over the bar and ripping her head off was she was quite photogenic and there were a couple of jolly chappys at the bar.
A word of advice. If you want people to take you seriously instead of thinking that you are probably a complete tit then comments like this are not going to do you any favours.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2008, 22:05   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Crikey these burgers must be really good to get so upset over. I might have to pop down to the island just to try them
Old 31 March 2008, 22:16   #19

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Crikey these burgers must be really good to get so upset over. I might have to pop down to the island just to try them
A while ago, I had a very nice burger in The Pier View, Cowes. Definitely, unmistakably home-made. Good.

The best burger I think I have partaken of was from Ed's Diner, Londinium.
Old 01 April 2008, 18:21   #20

Town: Fareham
To get a real Beef burger you'll have to travel to the States. I've never tasted a burger in this country that is remotely similar to ones I've eaten over the pond.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote