Old 10 January 2023, 07:35   #1

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
anchor rope recommendations

hi folks just going through my stuff waiting on better weather looking forward to getting out on the water and i come across my anchor bag. the rope was like a rats nest (stashed away in a hurry last time out ) the anchor 5kg bruce on 6 meters of 8mm galve chain was part of what came with my last rib that i kept when i sold it. the rope only about 20 meters and horrible to handle about 8mm and stiff and tangles very easily was all i had at hand and i would like to change it. any recommendations for a suitable rope and somewhere to buy it pre fitted with a thimble and the other end soft eye. I have had a look online but there's so many variations on material and at probably knocking on for £100 i dont want to get it wrong
Old 10 January 2023, 10:07   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
hi folks just going through my stuff waiting on better weather looking forward to getting out on the water and i come across my anchor bag. the rope was like a rats nest (stashed away in a hurry last time out ) the anchor 5kg bruce on 6 meters of 8mm galve chain was part of what came with my last rib that i kept when i sold it. the rope only about 20 meters and horrible to handle about 8mm and stiff and tangles very easily was all i had at hand and i would like to change it. any recommendations for a suitable rope and somewhere to buy it pre fitted with a thimble and the other end soft eye. I have had a look online but there's so many variations on material and at probably knocking on for £100 i dont want to get it wrong

I have 12mm Anchorplait on my boat. Nice to handle, behaves itself. Any chandler online or otherwise, should be able to make up a rope to your spec, including splicing a thimble on the end.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2023, 14:32   #3

thanks i was worried octaplait would be too inflexible with it having 8 strands .is this nylon or polypropylene or doesn't it matter .is there any reasons the braided ropes are not used for this
Old 10 January 2023, 16:56   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
Last year at the boatlife show there was a dealer just selling rope and all things related....if you can't find rope off these guys then you won't find it anywhere........no guarantee they will be showing this February though.
Old 10 January 2023, 20:44   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
My personal minimum line length is about 300ft (90m), and I like nylon 3 strand for its stretchy characteristics, and ability to be easily spliced. Currently I have 375ft (115m) of 1/2in (13mm) line, with 25ft (7.6m) of 1/4" (6mm) G43 chain, connected to a Mantus 13lb (6kg) anchor. This setup is good for a heavier 20ft+ (6m+) boat, and leaving it unattended while scuba diving knowing the boat will still be there upon return (Yeah yeah life is risky).

This is another option for line to chain attachment. One less screw to come loose, nor pokies on hands from tie wire holding the shackle screw.
Old 11 January 2023, 11:13   #6

thanks folks i have ordered 60 meters of 12mm octaplait white nylon with soft eye one end and stainless thimble the other