Old 01 August 2008, 06:34   #1

Boat name: Chubby Rain 2
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 70 (RNLI)
Anchor Rope

I have a 4.9M Rib

I want to get hold of 50M of decent anchor rope.

But I also woudl like it to have pre marked markers every 5 m or so (for measurement purposes)

Any idea who sells such stuff ?

Or indeed what size rope to use (12mm?)
Old 01 August 2008, 07:58   #2

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Pick it up where ever it is cheapest. I bought some with a number of other items from one of the web based chandlers but I suspect that their meters were "a bit small" and they got their discount back that way. Its a pain having to post big items back.

I use 12mm as I feel that any lighter is difficult to handle.

You can mark it out yourself it only takes a few minutes. Just open up the lay and put your markers in. Although I think some of these internet chandlers do ready made packages.

Jon
Old 01 August 2008, 14:59   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
regarding marking up anchor lines cables ect i use the small plastic cable ties at certain lengths ie 10m use 1 then at 20 meters use two and so on gives you a better idea how much you have let out .though i personally think that 12 mm might be a bit thick i use 10 mm though anything smaller than 8mm is a pain to pull in without cutting into you hands if you have to pull in with any weight on the end . the only thing with using thicker line is that in the tide the current catches the line more especially with long lengths .
Old 06 August 2008, 15:08   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Anchor line is kind of tricky. Stronger is better, as would be obvious. What is less obvious is stretch. Properly sized anchor line will have some give to it, lessening shock on deck fittings (and people on-board) in swell and chop. The difference between 3/8" and 1/2" in rough water can be surprising.

For a boat your size, I'd say 3/8" twisted nylon is about right (I use 400 ft of that on my 18' RIB.) Marinized rope (as opposed to standard hardware store rope) has a coating that supposedly limits water absorbtion and such - don't know if it really does anything other than increase costs.

For marking, you can sew/weave in colored threads (though I think 5M intervals is a little overkill), or get plastic markers from a chandlery (plastic flags, marked for length, that get slipped into the line between strands.) Personally, I'd think zip-ties would really hurt if your cold hands caught them at the wrong time.

jky
Old 09 August 2008, 10:22   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Jon, I think 50m is a little over the top, but more importantly how much chain are you going to use? I would suggest 5m of 6mm chain and 30m of 10mm rope would be fine. A second 20m of 10mm on board will be useful for towing, mooring n locks etc and could be added to the anchor line if you really needed it.

Pete
Old 09 August 2008, 15:37   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
50M seems like a lot, but depends on where you're likely to be. We have prevailing lee cliffs with 30-40m drop-offs below them....
Suddenly 50m of anchor-line and 10m chain seems a whole lot less overkill. I carry a dedicated 50m line, 16mm green "fishermans", 50p a metre, it's a light insurance policy....
Old 09 August 2008, 16:41   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
50M seems like a lot, but depends on where you're likely to be. We have prevailing lee cliffs with 30-40m drop-offs below them....
Wish we did, miss diving the underwater cliffs of the North Antrim Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Suddenly 50m of anchor-line and 10m chain seems a whole lot less overkill. I carry a dedicated 50m line, 16mm green "fishermans", 50p a metre, it's a light insurance policy....
Hence the suggestion for two lines which can be joined if necessary but more likely to be used separately. However I really do think the chain is the important part.

Pete
Old 09 August 2008, 16:51   #8

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
I have a 4.9M Rib

I want to get hold of 50M of decent anchor rope.

But I also woudl like it to have pre marked markers every 5 m or so (for measurement purposes)

Any idea who sells such stuff ?

Or indeed what size rope to use (12mm?)
There are a lot of listings on ebay for 12 or 18mm mooring rope about £50 seems the norm with an eye splice into the end.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote