I thought it was about time I posted this, in case it inspires anybody else to have a go too. I'd firstly like to say that this is the firs fiberglassing I have ever done so it is not perfect, but sturdy, functional and no less scruffy looking than the rest of my boat
So, I decided I didn't like the old recycling box in the front of the boat and wanted something better. I decided also that I didn't want to alter the boat in any way either, so no deck holes (apart from the odd screw hole) to potentially bugger up my boat. The first stage was so line the bow area with plastic sheeting, using spray mount glue, so I could use the boat as a mould (sorry, no picture). This worked well apart from the creases in the plastic and the initial glass layers gave a close fitting shape. When solid enough, I removed it and built up the thickness, whilst also flattening out some of the major lumps. I then built a former for the top, comprising of the top and front surfaces, radius'd front corner (formed using builders DPC roll) and the grove for the lid to sit in (using electrical conduit screwed to the top former).
I glassed the top section, removed from the former and then mated it to the base.
And in the bow,
The next stage was to glass the halves together from the inside and then trim the outer edges to form curved edges, which were then glassed again from the outside to improve the finish and fill any voids. The whole box was strengthened from inside and out by adding more layers. This took a long time but allowed me to get a pretty flat finish. The next stages were to sand the crap out of it, fill any imperfections (there were loads), sand again, flow coat, sand again, more flowcoat, more sanding then progressively finer sanding and polishing. It is not a "gelcoat" glossy finish, but neither is my boat these days, and it is very tough indeed. Finally I made a lid on a similar former to the top section, sanded,l trimmed and painted then fitted with hinges.
Unfortunatly there is a slight bow to the right hand side, but it's still better than an old recycling box!
The box is a very good fit and is held in place with a self tappers and sika so can come out without any real scars if need be. I was going to fit a catch to the lid at some point but its a good fit and doesn't seem to open whilst under way. The only remaining job is to get a cushion made.