Old 08 November 2004, 19:02   #1

Town: IoW
Make: HysuCat 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 70 2s
am i being realistic

hi,
i am fairly new to this ribbing thing, but have decided that i want one! i have sorta decided that i want a searider, 4meter or 4.7metre with a decent engine, but i only have about £3000 to spend. am i being realistic, or do i need a bigger budget? i don't need to buy any oilskins/lifejackets etc, because i already have some for sailing. parking isn't a problem either.

thanks
Old 08 November 2004, 19:17   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I don't think that's asking too much. Ebay is always good for bargins, although you do sometimes need to be careful. However, I have bought various boats off ebay including my RIB and have never had any trouble.

There are loads of cheap sea-riders on there at the moment, most with engines. Might be worth going to have a look before you buy but I think that's your best bet.

Tim
Old 08 November 2004, 19:29   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I just had a look at ebay: this is slightly above your budget but this package looks very nice. The engine looks very nice:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Only disadvantage is that it's got "those" seats - I prefer a jockey seat.
Old 08 November 2004, 19:31   #4

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
In my very limited experience i think you are about right.

I was in the same position a few weeks ago and but took the plunge and spent a little but more and bought a nice 5.1 m rib with decent 4 stroke engine. Had to compromise a bit with equiment so will be looking to get an A frame and electrics sorted over the winter.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F49947/

taken from the first page of the search. theres quite a few about and with christmas coming i would think it will be a buyers market for a few months. when i was looking a month or so ago there was a 4.0 meter searider with 1998 honda 40 (?) four stroke for around the 3K mark

I gather the 4.7 searider is pretty rare. must say i have not seen one before but i am told the 4.0 is a great boat. take your time and really look around. the right one will arrive eventually!

Good luck!
Old 08 November 2004, 20:05   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
3k is about right for a searider, make sure you get one with a modernish engine, the standard consoles are usually a bit low and uncomfortable but are easy to replace. Personally, I would try to negotiate on a boat with 'cinema' style back to back seating.

This one on ebay is definatly worth watching:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4502358426

Good luck

Alex
Old 08 November 2004, 20:07   #6
ADS

Heres a rare 4.7, bit overpriced and that Suzuki is getting on a bit ( I reckon late '80s).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...502377282&rd=1
Old 08 November 2004, 20:58   #7

Town: IoW
Make: HysuCat 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 70 2s
thanks for all the replys, just wondering if you are able to take off the front screen, and canopy bit, and replace the bucket seats for a decent consol?
if so how hard a job would it be?
Old 08 November 2004, 21:19   #8
ADS

Relatively easy job, many people have done it, quite easy to source a decent console for reasonable money. Ollyit, here on the forum has just made a very good job of restoring his 4m Searider, see his website:

http://www.ollysrib.741.com

Alex
Old 09 November 2004, 08:10   #9

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha

There is no such thing as a cheap boat, they start as a cheap toy and then things start to go wrong or need replacing, then you aspire to fit the boat out with more toys and gadgets and slowly the thing that started as a cheap weekend toy is costing you thousands...... i know i've been there and have the T shirt !!!

IMHO (and its only and opinion) spend a little bit more money from the outset, buy something with as new an engine as you can as these are the expensive bits when they go wrong, dont forget the hiden cost such as the trailer, tow bar etc, these things we take for granted or dont think about but run into hundreds at the end of the day.

There are 4.7's about if you look hard enough for one, the one Ads pointed out on ebay is over engined and you'd have trouble getting it insured, the 4.7 is rated for a maximum of 70 HP
Old 09 November 2004, 15:39   #10

Town: vienna
Boat name: --
Make: avon
Length: 4,7
Engine: Mercury 500
Send a message via Yahoo to dodl
Hello,

3000 is exactly what i paid for a 4,7m Searider including trailer and a 50HP Engine in Germany/Austria. Should be no problem in the UK, since it seems much cheaper there, when you buy a boat. The engine is very old, but it runs fine. For a few bucks more i could have a much better engine, but there was not enough money

Bilge Rat is right about hidden costs. You always need something.

cu
martin
Old 09 November 2004, 16:15   #11

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Relatively easy job, many people have done it, quite easy to source a decent console for reasonable money. Ollyit, here on the forum has just made a very good job of restoring his 4m Searider, see his website:

http://www.ollysrib.741.com

Alex
cheers mate
Old 10 November 2004, 10:03   #12

Town: Salisbury
Hmm

Most SR4 Seariders you will see for sale are probably late 80,s models, now unless you are buying one with a later better engine then you shouldnt be looking at spending anything near £3k.

£1500 to £2000 will get you an earlier model with something like an Evinrude 50 HP with Power Trim & Tilt.

My advice is forget any engine package without PT&T you will regret it. Personally I would only buy the centre console layout.

If you opt to buy a cheaper spec boat like this then concentrate your attentions on the engine. ( The expensive bit at the back which could cost you £4k + to replace !) A cheap compression test guage can tell a lot about an engine. Try and get a run out before handing over cash.

The centre console spec is the better option in MHO

I owned one for a while and was very impressed with the way it dealt with Solent chop , far better than many 5 - 6 metre ribs I have driven
Old 10 November 2004, 11:28   #13

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
[QUOTE=matiboy] Most SR4 Seariders you will see for sale are probably late 80,s models, now unless you are buying one with a later better engine then you shouldnt be looking at spending anything near £3k.

Yes I agree - Just missed an "ex-rnli" sr4m on ebay on sunday - bit scruffy but supposed to be all up and together with 40 mariner- sold for £1,124...

George
Old 10 November 2004, 11:33   #14
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by George8910
Yes I agree - Just missed an "ex-rnli" sr4m on ebay on sunday - bit scruffy but supposed to be all up and together with 40 mariner- sold for £1,124...

George

That sounds very cheap to me. I paid a lot more than that for mine and mine is'nt even a Searider. For £1,124 there must have been something wrong with it. I am just being sceptical though.
Old 10 November 2004, 14:16   #15

Yes - I imagined that work would need to be done so made a low bid - the guy selling didn't have an idea of age of: boat, outboard, or trailer no history of any kind also bought unseen - somehow the 'management' didn't fancy a trip to devon on the offchance
Old 10 November 2004, 14:42   #16

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Someone said to me a long time ago " buy cheap and your buying somebody elses problems" he was right and i took absolutely no notice of him what so ever, i went out and bought a 4.7 Avon with a nakered 50hp Evinrude on the back for 1.8k and thought "wow this is going to be fun" now with a new engine, new transom and kitted out completely i wish i'd have listened to my friend way back at the begining, i've spent enough now on my boat to have been able to buy a brand new boat and engine......... But its been fun scrimping and saving and begging for yet more money of er in dors
Old 10 November 2004, 15:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Heres a rare 4.7, bit overpriced and that Suzuki is getting on a bit ( I reckon late '80s).
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...502377282&rd=1
I would be cautious with this one - I spoke to the vendor and he had no idea of the provenance other than "probably a safety boat on the IoW" - no records "boats don't need them", told me he buys and sells them - maybe a cracking deal or a 'repent at leisure' - what's the phrase marry in haste...
Old 11 November 2004, 07:31   #18

Town: Salisbury
Not always so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
" buy cheap and your buying somebody elses problems"
I would agree if you are not familiar with outboards then you could be buying problems , however if you can get help in buying then there is always a good price boat around and there seem to be lots of SR4,s going cheap.

There seems to be plenty of help available on this forum.

I paid £1200 for mine with trailer 50 Evinrude EPTT never missed a beat , boat was incredible fun, used it for a long while and it is now spending its life as a club rescue boat for a coastal sailing club.

At the end of the day any engine can go pop if not overlooked properly and serviced before going out to play.