Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 13 October 2011, 17:36   #1

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Almost bought a Stolen Ribeye today

Agreed a deal of £8,600 yesterday for a 2003 Ribeye 600 playtime withYam 115hp 4 stroke. Thought it was too good to be true but I had to take the chance and go look.

Travelled 6 hour round trip only to find a boat with no serial plate (or hidden HIN), engine with no serial numbers, trailer with no plates. Having checked the hidden numbers on the engine (not all were removed dumbasses) turns out to be a stolen package from April 2005. Taken just 50 miles from it's current location.

Luckily we always check stolenboats.org asswell as other outlets prior to purchase. Could have been a costly mistake had it just been a private buyer.

The seller himself got caught out when he bought it a year ago and was selling it in very good faith. Obviously it came as a devastating shock to be told of the fact it was stolen. Apparently he enquired into the motor via a main dealer in Hampshire (I'll not name em) when he bought it and was told it was fine....

We had no choice but to make contact with the authorities to make them aware of our findings if only to prevent somebody else getting caught out but in fairness the seller himself was already in the process of having it recovered by the police after we left. He is as innocent as they come and looks like having a major court battle on his hands to recover his losses

Just goes to prove the old adage "too good to be true" I guess. Gutted

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 13 October 2011, 17:48   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Thought it was too good to be true but I had to take the chance and go look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
The seller himself got caught out when he bought it a year ago and was selling it in very good faith......He is as innocent as they come
Funny how he was selling it on the cheap though...
Old 13 October 2011, 17:52   #3

True but it was only to release funds in order to cover the cost of his new rib (a Parker diesel inboard which we seen cost him £17000). I think he may have suspected it to be stolen but when the un-named dealer confirmed the motor was fine that put his mind at rest.

He was a completely genuine seller, just a but naive to what goes on in the boating underworld

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 13 October 2011, 18:01   #4

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Hi B&O my first post here, good post that flags up/ reminds the perils of buying private.

I will be in the market for a quality pre enjoyed rib in the new year and apart from the blatantly obvious you have stated any other tips on how to spot a wrongun, i have had a little look on stolenboats.org but what other resources are available?

BTW i have to compliment you on your ebay listings, even though i am not in the market for a rib yet i find your videos strangely enjoyable
Old 13 October 2011, 18:18   #5

Hello

There's lots to look out for but most of it's common sense and doing your research BEFORE handing over any cash. It may seem "snobby" but there's a lot to be said for just talking to the seller and asking lots of questions both over the phone and when you view - see if the answers match up. I always ask simple things like about the boat name for example and see how the respond. If it's their boat they will have a good story for the name

Stolen boats.org is great but not to be relied on as fact (ie if it's not on there it's not stolen) as it takes time to update and not everything gets put on there. I know of a batch of 6 motors taken in one hit from a yard a month ago and they are not on the site yet....

Call the local police ask for any recent theft reports etc. I have quite a lot of contacts within the police and marine recovery industry which help me which I'm afraid I cannot share.

I'm happy to do some research for you on any potential boats you come across though. You never know I may even find a boat that suits so keep an eye out for my items.

Glad you like the videos. I get about 5 emails a week saying the same. I get the odd one asking why I bother but I ignore them ones :grrrr

Old 13 October 2011, 18:27   #6

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Cheers very kind offer, i will definately be looking out to see what you have coming up in the future.

Idiots......why bother........because it helps you to sell your stuff thats why, if i was considering one of your boats you pretty much know what you are getting before you get on the road.
Old 13 October 2011, 19:24   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
I feel for the Bloke who is probally going to lose a lot of money.
Im sure the orange searider on boats and Outboards is also a scam, i contacted and the pictures i were sent we suspect, It didnt look like the uk and the trailor was an american launching trailor with foreign plates,also the car had same design plates on, that was too cheap to be real also!!
Old 13 October 2011, 19:37   #8

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
I bought my 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke on eBay, had been hunting ages for one, the bloke I got it from had removed the serial number from the leg and I was convinced it was stolen, I contacted my local Yamaha dealer and he gave me the details of where it was sold new, turned out it was his Mrs that bought it.

Have always checked the serial number before buying ever since.
Old 13 October 2011, 19:41   #9

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Both of these look dodgy, too far to view, happy to deliver and but a really good price to take a punt on.

Valiant Other Ribs for sale , Valiant 340 rib and 30hp Mariner outboard engine - Boats And Outboards

Valiant Speed Boat for sale , Valiant D380 Rib with Mercury 30hp 2 Stroke, speed boat - Boats And Outboards
Old 13 October 2011, 20:57   #10

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
LoL listed in Buteshire and Argyllshire ..maybe thats how the site lists things (incorrectly)
Old 13 October 2011, 21:02   #11

Looks like the Ribeye "owner" is a fellow Ribnetter. As I said from the outset I do not believe he was aware of the fact it was a stolen package and I bear no I'll feeling towards him. Disappointed to be out of pocket to the tune of £200 but I guess that's better than staring down the barrel of a 8k hit

Far too many cons out there especially on that site in particular. the B*****DS need shooting (not you Paul)

I hope he gets his money back,