Click Here to Login

Old 01 August 2005, 23:31   #1

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
All set to do it all over again!

Two of my mates have almost decided that they would like to buy my rib from me for a reasonable price and I've managed to sell my old Channel Island 22! Hoorah!!!!

So I'm in the very nice position of getting Barnet to quote me for a 9.5m RIB with twin Optimax 225's on the back. Sooooo excited if it all comes off!

Anyway, I've never owned a RIB of this size before and I'm after a little advice:

The tables show that a boat of this size should use a 10-15kg bruce anchor, 40m of chain and then your 10mm warp on top........where the hell am I supposed to put this thing?? (Baring in mind that the XS700 that I currently own uses a 5kg bruce which fits in the bow locker.....not sure that a 15kg bruce is going to fit if it's the same size hatch!?!?!)

Has anyone got any other recommendations for a 9.5m RIB and what they use for anchoring in sandy/silty bottom intermingled with the odd rock??

With this size anchor/chain and that fact I'm a fat, unfit git......would an anchor winch be advised??

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!

Ta

P
Old 02 August 2005, 05:29   #2
plk

Town: Alderney
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 2x200 outboard
On the 9.5m scorpion there is an anchor box that holds our anchor and enough chain, etc.

In sizing the anchor, did you calculate it on overall length or weight of the boat. Most of the sizing charts are based on large cruiser type boats which would be a lot heavier.

If you have a winch then wouldn't this mean that then anchor would have to sit permanently on the deck.
Old 02 August 2005, 11:39   #3

Good point, I'd worked it out on overall length. I've managed to get around the storage by having a raised front bow locker with extra wide hatch fitted.

I'll get back to the drawing board r.e. anchor sizes!

Thanks!!!!
Old 02 August 2005, 11:59   #4

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
For short stay anchoring I have a wee Bruce (about 5Kg) with 5m chain and rope warp and use a plough of about 10Kg and 12m of chain for overnighting. The wee anckor is east to handle and has held the boat in about a F5 whilst fishing, however I would not leave it overnight.
HTH
Andy
Old 03 August 2005, 22:27   #5

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, although I used to have a 5kg and 5m of chain on the 7m. I made sure that anchor was set correctly, got off and started to row for shore when I noticed the tide change (just hit half tide), the rib slued round and headed off in the other direction!!!

Ever since then I chucked out a 7.5kg with 20m of chain and it ain't moved yet. You can quite happily get a 4 knot current running through a few of the more popular mooring places over here, so I've always errr'd on the side of caution. It also makes for a less twitchy couple of pints rather than wondering if the rib is ok!