Old 20 June 2005, 16:55   #21

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
i may come across blonde but im not that stupid !!
Old 20 June 2005, 16:58   #22

yah so good poiny rib boi !!!
i think the sailiors belong in the rivers, where they get their speed limits!
Old 20 June 2005, 17:00   #23

Town: Colchester
Boat name: JRib
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HPDI YAM
MMSI: sometime soon
Thank you very much.

RIBBOI
Old 20 June 2005, 17:25   #24

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I was covering a party of shore divers a couple of months ago with a boat fishing across the entrance to North Landing nr Flamb hd, he saw what we were doing and that we had an A flag up and left, no rude jestures or abuse. This was very courteous which we appreciated.

Fifteen minutes later "Bellend 1, 2, and 3" (think that was their call sign) arrived on jet skis; full throttle past the cover boat and into the bay(posted this previously but it needs saying again) Given the in water visibility neither divers nor jet skiers had the slightest chance of avoiding eachother and we can guess who was going to come off the worse!

The point of this minor rant; be considerate and know the area your operating in. The jet skiers should not have been that close to shore, A flag etc etc. We are very aware of designated leisure areas usually buoyed off in yellow so we keep out of them. If fishermen are there (non buoyed area ofcourse) approach them first and ask them what there intentions are, come to an agreement even - !!

The problem is you never know when you might need help.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2005, 17:26   #25

no problem , so ... where is the best place to ski where you dont get in peoples way?
Old 20 June 2005, 17:35   #26

erm in Southampton well there has got to be a few ski zone because there was a lot of ski boats about or u can go in to a place with a nice bit of falt water and no outher boats about n not such a hard runing tide. if you are a not so good at skin i dont like ski zone because u have to have a lot of skill to keep out of the way of n the skill to get out the way quick and stay up at the same time.

RIBBOI
Old 20 June 2005, 17:46   #27

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
try down a mountainside
Old 20 June 2005, 17:55   #28

This may help hannah http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/index.p...ious=27&art=38

RIBBOI
Old 20 June 2005, 18:38   #29

thanks
Old 21 June 2005, 11:06   #30

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Hmmm I'm sort of on the fence on this one which is unlike me as I'd normally slag yachties off.

I've had divers down and yachts, fishing boats and jet ski's getting a little bit too close for comfort, despite repeated blockings to get in the way of them and the divers and several heated discussions on the radio.

I've also been on a safety stop and had a yacht keel come flying out of no where and split four divers into two very nervous groups!

However I have been given the finger several times for motoring up (at full whack) through a "High Speed Craft Zone" from fishermen sat in the middle of the fairway.......which I consider to be their own stupid fault for being there in the first place.

If everyone behaved by the rules it would be a lot easier. But if the fisherman from Hannahs original post was on dry land, it was not restricted by speed limits in the area they were playing, they weren't endangering themselves or more importantly anyone else.....then I can't see a problem.

You don't go for a peaceful days fishing on a fast craft area and you don't get umpty when a fast boat utilises the area.
Old 21 June 2005, 21:45   #31

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Last weekend, out diving for abs: We were on the California North Coast, a little port on a river. The exit from the river is a little tricky; rocks on the left, and to the seaward; a couple of washrocks to the right. You exit the river mouth paralleling the beach to the right, then crank hard over to port out past a little rock island. On the way out for the morning dive, there was a boat loaded with crab traps (well, not exactly loaded, but they had about a dozen, I'd guess) just setting out. We head north to look for a calm enough spot to freedive, ended up back out along the edge of the river mouth cove. I put the other four guys in the water, and realize I didn't bring my gloves, so I sit topside and play babysitter for the divers. As I'm watching, the crab pot boat comes back into the cove, and proceeds to drop the dozen or so pots right in the channel to get back into the river. They then anchor up, also in the middle of the channel, and crack open beers. We had to sneak around all their pots, *and* their boat, to get back in.

OTOH, we also had people move on to other spots when we were diving, to keep from infringing on "our" spot (which, IMO, was completely unnecessary, but still appreciated.) So it works both ways, I guess.

jky
Old 22 June 2005, 15:38   #32

out of all this convo about bad attitudes out on the water i still think yotties are grumpy haha
Old 23 June 2005, 00:01   #33

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
This is what I think:

If someone gets angrey then your probably too close.
Old 24 June 2005, 15:12   #34

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
This is what I think:

If someone gets angrey then your probably too close.
If someone gets angry then they should maybe consider another hobby!
Old 24 June 2005, 17:32   #35

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah
out of all this convo about bad attitudes out on the water i still think yotties are grumpy haha
I understand the stereotype which you're referring to Hannah, but i'm sure that when I clock off work at MVSC and head into Cowes in the evenings between the 1st and 5th August, then I certainly won't see many grumpy yotties!

Most yotties that i see are just normal people. As normal people, sometimes they have every reason for shouting at PB users and would be backed up by many experienced ribsters. Some of them are older, and more fragile, and so don't take to well to some muppet driving past them at full whack in a rib in a 6kt zone so that they fall over and break their hip, for instance! Bet you didn't think about that as you were racing back to the beach for a picnic! Some yotties do truly dislike PB users and can't be reasoned with, and we just need to leave it.

When dealing with other water users we have either the opportunity to be a really good advertisement for the RIB community by behaving sensitively, maturely, reasonably and politely, and just leaving it if we get shouted at, or alternatively we can all behave like little kids and shout back at them because we're right!
Old 24 June 2005, 17:36   #36

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I would have thought yachties would have been the most experienced sort of boaters and yet when i observe then entering the locks in Swansea many of them don't seem to have a clue.

No matter how busy it is they constantly seem to come inot the lock and moor about halfway along - this leaves a huge gap in front with everyone trying to squeeze in behind - I just dont know why the lock keeprs stand for it.

« New Redbays | Top | Torquay »