Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 June 2017, 04:23   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LB
Length: 10m +
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Affordable RIBs?

Well here's the £1,000,000 question, or less as the case may be!

Is there a way to get into ribs, without breaking the bank?

Discuss.
__________________

__________________
al.0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 05:23   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,216
RIBase
1,000,000 answer
size
budget
age
condition
equipment
engine
trailer
to name a few.
15,000 will get you something decent at the back end of the season or this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-xs460-...r/401259921421
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 10:26   #3
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.0001 View Post
Well here's the £1,000,000 question, or less as the case may be!



Is there a way to get into ribs, without breaking the bank?



Discuss.


£500 quid will get you into RIBs, whether it gets you on the water or not is another question
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 10:38   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Ginger
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp yamaha
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 226
avon searider 4m is the best, cheapest way in to ribbing. 3k should get you a decent one with engine and trailer. you can spend less, but youll find the engines available etc start looking old and tired.If you want something bigger, the larger seariders have you covered there too, but obviously at a higher cost.

if that's too much, you can get a decent SIB for less - but they are quite different beasts in terms of sea handling ability.
__________________
rik_elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 15:41   #5
Member
 
psycho's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Torbay
Boat name: Dont Panic
Make: Zodiac YL 480 DL
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 75
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
£500 quid will get you into RIBs, whether it gets you on the water or not is another question
__________________
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 17:10   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,612
If you are looking for a way to do a bit of RIB work without having to buy a boat, most dinghy sailing clubs will operate a safety boat during racing and coaching. The majority of clubs use volunteers for these. They may well be interested in having someone who is interested in the safety boat rather than someone who feels its getting in the way of their race calendar.

BUT
- don't expect the best boats / kit.
- don't expect to be doing massive distances and going places. Most dinghy racing is round the cans stuff not long distance cruising.
- expect lots of drifting waiting around between "rescues" - (the vast majority of rescues will not be saving lives - just helping a capsize back up etc)
- expect stroppy race officers who want the windward mark moved 10 yards to the right because the wind just shifted half a degree, then moving 10 yards left because its shifted again!
- they are likely to want you to have Powerboat 2 and ideally a first aid certificate, VHF ticket and maybe Safety Boat Certificate. Some clubs may offer some or all of that in return for a commitment to do a certain number of duties.
- consider also they will want you there first and home last.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 17:17   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
15,000 will get you something decent at the back end of the season or this
NEW XS460 Value Club Rescue Rib F60 Mercury Outboard Motor Boat Package Trailer | eBay
But £3k would probably get you something small (SR4) and usable but certainly not as 'sexy' as that brand new XS... The depreciation on the XS will be purchase value of the other!

Jeff clearly lives in a different financial proposition to me ;-)
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 17:20   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
£500 quid will get you into RIBs, whether it gets you on the water or not is another question
It's not the getting "on" that's the issue it's the getting back "off" the water.....
__________________
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 21:24   #9
Member
 
islandflyer's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Nassau, Bahamas
Boat name: Harbour Safaris
Make: Parker RIB 9m & 10m
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 250 & 350
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 184
50k got me into it, 100s of k's later ....

Your mileage may vary.
__________________
Harbour Safaris
Swimming Pigs Excursions & More
Nassau, Bahamas
islandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2017, 05:20   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,216
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
But £3k would probably get you something small (SR4) and usable but certainly not as 'sexy' as that brand new XS... The depreciation on the XS will be purchase value of the other!

Jeff clearly lives in a different financial proposition to me ;-)
ha ha no need to hide shiny. i've had all the crap stuff all that does is keep you wanting so you still end up with the better boat when you get the bug, but lose dosh on the way up.
i did say its budget, kit, etc what i suggested is a family rig as it were, around the £ 15,000 mark will get you something that would probably do most scenario's.
SR 4 's are great boats but be prepared to spend more money and 4 up is cramped with seats for 2 not ideal with kids. all my opinion of course.
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2017, 15:45   #11
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
It's not the getting "on" that's the issue it's the getting back "off" the water.....


Also the "to" and "from"
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2017, 17:44   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
ha ha no need to hide shiny. i've had all the crap stuff all that does is keep you wanting so you still end up with the better boat when you get the bug, but lose dosh on the way up.
i did say its budget, kit, etc what i suggested is a family rig as it were, around the £ 15,000 mark will get you something that would probably do most scenario's.
SR 4 's are great boats but be prepared to spend more money and 4 up is cramped with seats for 2 not ideal with kids. all my opinion of course.
Well he didn't mention family! Involving family never makes anything affordable
He mentioned affordable. I read that to mean at the budget end. I bet even if I spend £15k on a boat I'll want more.

My first car cost £350, second £3000, Third £9000, Fourth £18000 (I'm dreading the 5th!).

That £350 fiat panda had its issues. But I spend more servicing the Fourth than I did to get the Panda through its MOT! I think boats are the same. If you want a boat that always works and never breaks you stand more chance with something flashy and new. But the ROI may not be that great and unless you are throwing stupid $$$ at it you will still find things that could be better (just some more power here - should we add a stainless prop, just an extra big fuel tank, just 2 inches higher on the A frame etc.

Oh and the Panda was traded in for £500, second for £800, Third for £1200...
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 03:51   #13
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Well he didn't mention family! Involving family never makes anything affordable

He mentioned affordable. I read that to mean at the budget end. I bet even if I spend £15k on a boat I'll want more.



My first car cost £350, second £3000, Third £9000, Fourth £18000 (I'm dreading the 5th!).



That £350 fiat panda had its issues. But I spend more servicing the Fourth than I did to get the Panda through its MOT! I think boats are the same. If you want a boat that always works and never breaks you stand more chance with something flashy and new. But the ROI may not be that great and unless you are throwing stupid $$$ at it you will still find things that could be better (just some more power here - should we add a stainless prop, just an extra big fuel tank, just 2 inches higher on the A frame etc.



Oh and the Panda was traded in for £500, second for £800, Third for £1200...


Affordable is relative, without a budget, the discussion is moot.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:15   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,093
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.0001 View Post
Well here's the £1,000,000 question, or less as the case may be!

Is there a way to get into ribs, without breaking the bank?

Discuss.
Obviously depends on the size of the bank but driving someone elses is possibly the cheapest.

If you do the relevant courses, there are jobs around that require RIB drivers.

Someone has already mentioned sailing club safety boating - incidentally I did my PB2 through a sailing club. The boats weren't up to much but it was one to one or one to two tuition and cost me £45!

I think Solent Rib Charter occasionally ask for drivers. You could try and get yourself on RIB charter firms lists of available drivers.

RIB trip companies may need occasional workers.

I suspect the sticking point would be a lack of experience.

Assuming you buy a RIB, you need to think about where you keep it. Dry stack is the most convenient but the most expensive and keeping it at home is the cheapest.

What about a SIB? You can get the whole package for £1k and transport it in the back of the car.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:19   #15
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,864
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Obviously depends on the size of the bank but driving someone elses is possibly the cheapest.



If you do the relevant courses, there are jobs around that require RIB drivers.



Someone has already mentioned sailing club safety boating - incidentally I did my PB2 through a sailing club. The boats weren't up to much but it was one to one or one to two tuition and cost me £45!



I think Solent Rib Charter occasionally ask for drivers. You could try and get yourself on RIB charter firms lists of available drivers.



RIB trip companies may need occasional workers.



I suspect the sticking point would be a lack of experience.



Assuming you buy a RIB, you need to think about where you keep it. Dry stack is the most convenient but the most expensive and keeping it at home is the cheapest.



What about a SIB? You can get the whole package for £1k and transport it in the back of the car.


I'd imagine that the cost of reaching commercial skipper standard, could well equate to the price of a decent RIB.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:26   #16
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,906
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Seems you like to play Devils advocate....if you put a little effort and hands on into practical experience....like getting yourself down the Brokers and search the adds..you'll soon work it out
Otherwise it's just another tail chasing exercise IMO.
What's the 10m+ Craft on you're Profile then?...
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

« Lovely | Top | Good service »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.