Old 13 March 2008, 13:34   #1

Make: very little ribtec
Length: under 3m
Engine: Johnson 15hp
Advice wanted please..

Hi everyone. I'm new to ribs and have recently bought a Ribtec 290 (supposedly ex-demo) and a Johnson 15hp 2-stroke to go on the back of it. I bought it as a tender that is small enough to row when I want (just for a short distance out to my sailing boat) or to have a bit of fun playing with if the mood takes me. I've a couple of questions though: with such a short rib with 15hp on the back is it likely to flip backwards, and would doelfins or 'lifters' help stop any such tendancy?
I'm also thinking that a set of transom wheels would be useful - any recommendations?
many thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 13 March 2008, 13:47   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new to ribs and have recently bought a Ribtec 290 (supposedly ex-demo) and a Johnson 15hp 2-stroke to go on the back of it. I bought it as a tender that is small enough to row when I want (just for a short distance out to my sailing boat) or to have a bit of fun playing with if the mood takes me. I've a couple of questions though: with such a short rib with 15hp on the back is it likely to flip backwards, and would doelfins or 'lifters' help stop any such tendancy?
I'm also thinking that a set of transom wheels would be useful - any recommendations?
many thanks in advance,
Nick
Probably a 100 HP will flip your sib, impossible with the current setting, transom wheels can help a lot specially on sand at the beach. Anyway balance your rib weight properly to avoid excesive bow rise when beginning to plane and adjust your trim angle as required for good rib performance.

Happy Boating
Old 13 March 2008, 14:00   #3

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
nick, where did you buy your Ribtec from?
Old 13 March 2008, 14:19   #4

Off ebay - the guy said he dealt with ribtec a lot and sold many of their ex-demo boats. I'm still a bit sceptical as Ribtec don't appear to make a 290, but they're now owned by Ribeye and the hull looks identical to the Ribeye one on their website, but with pale grey tubes. I'll take some photos if you like and post them on here. Any reason you ask?
Nick
Old 13 March 2008, 14:27   #5

I only ask as im the salesman for Ribtec, The small tenders are shared between the Ribeye hull, we do sell our old "Z" stock to a couple of private clients who then sell them on. It frees up space at the showroom. These boats are craft either a year or so old, or have been ex demo. but all have been kept in a heated, business unit, on crates.

a 15hp will be fine, we fit the 290 with 15hp fourstroke Yam, and the 330 with a 20hp.

Kind Regards

TOM
Old 13 March 2008, 15:25   #6

Thanks for that Tom, i'm really looking forward to trying it out and seeing what its like. It was this one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3865%26fvi%3D1
By 'Z' stock I take it you mean slight seconds? It has a few little warts on the tubes, which I'm not unduly worried about. Still a really smart looking little rib.
Can't wait for the engine to arrive and go play, might stick my 5hp honda on there just to see how it goes.
Many thanks,
Nick
Old 13 March 2008, 15:30   #7

yeah 5hp will be fine. Yes i know the boat, it hasnt been used. just stored. Good little tender.

I have a 330 with a 50hp Tohatsu as im running it in, before it goes on my thundercat, im only using it to get to the pub, up the river dart, and wouldnt reccomend it, as im only using it to run it in, and you wouldnt want to go anythign more than half throttle...