Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 October 2015, 17:17   #1

Make: Selva
Length: 5m +
Engine: 80 hp
Advice please - Fuel Starvation Chasing the dragon

Hi can anyone help I have a fuel starvation problem in the engine. I know this because i have run a separate fuel tank and line to the engine and received the same results. It only runs when I continue priming the bulb whilst running the engine other wise it will cut out.

The next stop is to change the fuel pump which i will order tomorrow. But failing this I wonder if there is any other cases.

The engine is a 2011 Selva 80 2 Stroke fule injection with minimal hours use circa 30 hours.

I did put an electric pump instead of the primer to provide constant fuel but that has caused other problems (starting problems).

Any guidance or experience would be appreciated. I am hopping I switch the pump over and hey presto. I have had a look at the pump inside and there no obvious signs of faults which is not good

thanks all
Old 18 October 2015, 17:20   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
fuel pump it sounds like
Old 18 October 2015, 18:27   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Check all the fuel pipes carefully including under the jubilee clips if it's not the pump there will be a split in one of them stopping the pump drawing fuel
Old 18 October 2015, 19:12   #4

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be pieces of crap from inside the tank sticking in the pipe.

They were peices of fuel varnish flaking off with new fuel and they were about 3mm across.

It might be worth pulling the fuel uplift pipe and checking. If you have a filter in the end of it they will probably fall off and you'll be none the wiser.

I have also had what looks like mouse hair stuck on the end of the uplift pipe filter. Not sure how it would get there but that's what it looks like.