Old 11 December 2004, 18:34   #1

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
Advice please.....

As a recent convertee to ribs, I'm looking to make a few improvements over the winter.

One issue I have with the Parker is the lack of waterproof storage... both the console and the seat pods allow water to seep in (and out) where they join the deck. I was wondering about the merits of trying to make these joints watertight : then I have a possible problem with the seat tops (which are velco'd onto the pods) letting in water??

Also would you recommend battery covers

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Ian
Old 11 December 2004, 19:26   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I'm rather surprised that your pods leak at the join of pod to deck. I'dve though they were sikaflexed as well as presumably screwed to the deck. Might be worth either taking them off an putting some sikaflex down or if you can try and run a bead around the inside of the pod where it mates to the deck. As for the seats I would not think you should get much water in that way.

Additional storage options are then fairly limited unless you want to build in some kind of locker. An investment in some drybags is probably the easiest option!
Old 11 December 2004, 19:52   #3

Town: Dublin
Boat name: Platypus
Make: Parker 630
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser DTI
Thanks Alan

I was going to take the pods out anyhow, as I want to see the location of the fuel tank etc. , I was wondering if it would be worthwhile putting some class of 'bottom' on the pods rather than sealing them to the deck, particularly as there is a hatch in the deck whose seam crosses underneath the pods.

I was thinking of either plastic sheet or marine ply.

Unfortunately the only suitable place for a locker is directly in front of the console, and this has the hatch to access the batteries etc. I may look at putting a new hatch in the back of the console, and moving the master switch etc.... Here I go .. I'm rebuilding already!!

Ian
Old 11 December 2004, 20:33   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
The Deepsea 21 I had a few years ago (A cousin of the parker 630 ) had seat bases with a moulded in bottom so were completely watertight. I'd hesitate about using ply as it will eventually rot but mebbe some plastic or fibreglass would do the job.
Old 11 December 2004, 20:48   #5

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
i have the same problem with my valiant water gets under the jockey consul
and in to the front anchor locker not much but not nice to pull any jumper out damp i was going to seal around the edge on the inside and my old landrover and some matting stuff for carpet but very heavy looked like a grid sat 15mm deep if i could find some it could be fitted lifting the floor up and allowing water to pass under

dan
Old 11 December 2004, 21:01   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Dan

Sainsburys Homebase sell Rubber doormats that are ideal for what you want, about 10mm thick wth large Hexagonal holes in and little feet all over the bottom that allow a small amount of water to sit under the matting. At £1.99 for a 500mm x 400mm mat you can afford to buy several.

I superglued four together and then cut them to the shape of my double console, has an added advantage of stopping things sliding around too much.

By the way B&Q sell a similar product that can't be Butt joined so easily and costs about twice as much.

Nasher.
Old 11 December 2004, 21:24   #7

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Length: 4m +
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Dan

Sainsburys Homebase sell Rubber doormats that are ideal for what you want, about 10mm thick wth large Hexagonal holes in and little feet all over the bottom that allow a small amount of water to sit under the matting. At £1.99 for a 500mm x 400mm mat you can afford to buy several.

I superglued four together and then cut them to the shape of my double console, has an added advantage of stopping things sliding around too much.

By the way B&Q sell a similar product that can't be Butt joined so easily and costs about twice as much.

Nasher.
thanks nasher

as i have no prop i am on shore leave this weekend so off to homebase in the morning

i still think dry bags are a must for winter work

dan