Old 24 March 2014, 12:41   #1

Town: Caol ila
Boat name: Torann na dtonn
Make: Excalibur
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo
Advice please

Need some help I viewed a 7.8m ferryman rib yanmar diesel 550 hrs with bravo 3 leg the guy that owns it had it built in 2002 this rib still looks like new and kept inside when not in use and can't find a flaw in it anywhere I know about big yellow what are your thoughts on this rib I have view a lot of ribs but not found one in this condition
Old 24 March 2014, 13:01   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Buy it for next to nothing, rip out everything not built by Ferryman. Throw the rest in a skip. Find a nice inboard hull that requires a re-engine.
Old 24 March 2014, 14:08   #3

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Saw it advertised, a lot of boat for the money.
There are a lot of Ferrymans in N Ireland - some obviously, sold for very good money in recent times, though I can honestly say I have not known any others to suffer serious problems (Big Yellow obviously excused!). They used to be built in the town I am from.
I would pay a good surveyor, to give it a serious going over, ensuring he is aware of previous issues and if his report is ok, and you are aware re-sale values may be hampered and if you can get it cheap enough to offset this risk I would go for it. I would buy one (very nearly did).
You could end up, because of company issues and nothing to do with this actual vessel, getting a hell of a lot of boat for the money.
Old 24 March 2014, 18:52   #4

Town: Caol ila
Boat name: Torann na dtonn
Make: Excalibur
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
Saw it advertised, a lot of boat for the money.
There are a lot of Ferrymans in N Ireland - some obviously, sold for very good money in recent times, though I can honestly say I have not known any others to suffer serious problems (Big Yellow obviously excused!). They used to be built in the town I am from.
I would pay a good surveyor, to give it a serious going over, ensuring he is aware of previous issues and if his report is ok, and you are aware re-sale values may be hampered and if you can get it cheap enough to offset this risk I would go for it. I would buy one (very nearly did).
You could end up, because of company issues and nothing to do with this actual vessel, getting a hell of a lot of boat for the money.
this one is not advertised anywhere this is near me on islay very hard to get someone to survey it as we stay on an island but this guy seen it getting built
Old 24 March 2014, 19:24   #5

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Sorry thought it was this boat http://www.ribraid.com/for-sale-2005-ferryman-8m-rib/
Owner may have seen it getting built, but I doubt he stayed for the whole build? If he has been using it off Islay for a number of years then no doubt, due to the prevailing crap weather- the boats hull and structure must be assumed to be sound!
You could always get him to take it across the pond to Redbay and get them to cast their eye over it.
If you know the owner, he knows the boat, it ticks your boxes but you are aware it may be a limited market when you choose to sell, and you get it cheap enough then what have you to loose? As I say, I know a few people with Ferrymans, outboard powered, but who have had no issues.