Kaz

Town: Bridgwater
Boat name: Dory
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard yamaha 30hp
Advice on type of rib to buy needed

Hi peeps,

I am looking to buy my first boat and would like a rib cos i love them, but being a novice i need some advice on whether to get a rigid or inflatable keel. I want to go out in seas with waves, i want to have some speed fun and go out a mile ish offshore. I will have it on a trailer and dont intend to deflate it. I can get an inflatable in better condition and cheaper in price, but im not sure if all the above would suit it?

This is the write up for one im looking at, any advice would be greatly received.

Honwave big tube inflatable four meter boat aluminium floor inflatable keel center steering console electric pump two grab rails Yamaha 30 hp two stroke manual outboard 25 l fuel tank radar arch gps and fish finder auxiliary bracket whole ark trailer new bearings and tires very stable

http://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayak...rib/1303106942

Tahnks. Kaz
Old 24 June 2018, 19:41   #2

Length: 3m +
Not many people will recommend a SIB (inflatable keel) if you are simply going to use it like a RIB (hard hull).

The biggest advantage is not having to trail it / storage.

The other advantages may be lighter weight = lighter engine = less fuel and cheaper costs.

The disadvantages are longer set up if not trailing it. Floor more prone to damage from rocks etc and if damage occurs needs a better fix than a slap of filler. But more importantly the V is usually shallower so the handling in rough weather is less efficient and so you wont get as good fuel economy, but you'll probably put a bigger engine on anyway so making comparisons harder.

Trailing a SIB with the engine attached and loaded with gear may not be the kindest of things compared to doing the same on a RIB.

But you will struggle to find a RIB with engine on a trailer for £1300 that isn't a serious bag of ****.

The other things people will want to know are:

- How many people are you planning to go out with
- What are you wanting to do - fish, tow ringos, sailing club safety, diving, beach & BBQ,
- Why only a mile off shore... will that evolve...
- Have you done any training
Old 24 June 2018, 20:05   #3
Kaz

Hi Shiny shoe, thanks that was very helpful.

I am looking to take up to 4 passengers and tow a doughnut, launch from beach or ramp, go out in rougher weather, maybe dive but def snorkle with the basking sharks, beach and bbq for sure, fish. I have my level 2 powerboat but haven't been out on my own so i guess its confidence as the reason i'm saying 1 mile, but I am adventurous so yes that will probably evolve. Maybe I need to save a little more, i'm just eager to get on the sea while i'm able to. :-)
Old 25 June 2018, 07:48   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
5 people comfortably seated in rougher weather.
4 ppl + donut towing.
Taking diving kit.

Those are all things that need a fairly boat and engine that is usually well above your budget. Of course you can pop five people on a big sin to nip round to the next bay, lightly loaded big sibs cope surprisingly well in reasonably waves and can tow too.

Finally do some research and think carefully about swimming with basking sharks. They are beautiful and won’t intentionally attack you but there is concern about people upsetting marine life by trying to get too close.
Old 25 June 2018, 09:06   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Floor more prone to damage from rocks etc and if damage occurs needs a better fix than a slap of filler.
I would disagree on your thoughts there Shiny ..simply because my heavy inflatable wooden floor quicksilver has spent 13 years being dried out over night on rocky shores and refloated in the morning after a nights wild camping.

I have zero patches on the bottom.. although I now have two patches on the tubes .. two minutes slapped a patch on ..similar to repairing a bicycle inner tube. One patch from old age wear and tear at a floorboard seam..the other when I didn't stow the anchor very well and it rubbed through a tube in a chop.

I have yet to meet a rib owner willing to do the same as they tend to worry about scores and scratches to their shiny boats. I appreciate some old RIBs don't bother about scratches and ding though. I spend more time filling chips in my fibre glass F Rib doing the same thing...than I have repairing inflatables
Old 25 June 2018, 09:55   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Id say the compromise here is budget. what you describe your needs as suggest a rib which will usually out perform a sib in every area except foldability, however your unlikely to get anything decent in a rib for £1300
Nothing wrong with sibs but if your trailer launching and not dragging over rocks then a rib will be better if you can stretch the budget somewhat
Old 26 June 2018, 17:55   #7
Kaz

Hi guys,

just want to thank you all for some great advice. You all helped me to weigh stuff up and make my decision. As a result I am picking this baby up on Sat, bought for £1500, happy days, i think?

I will probs be back for more advice at some point as I'm a learner but in the meantime everyone, happy boating. xx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153075526368

Kaz
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153075526368
Old 26 June 2018, 19:38   #8

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Hi Kaz the four meter T40 is a cracking sib just look at the Scottish sib outing from this year and the trip we did round mull that was a 20hp two people plus camping gear and still kept at a good 22kns [emoji6]

Tags
rib