Old 09 September 2021, 17:33   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp
Advice on Humber/Rib Quest

Hi all,
I'm considering a Humber Ocean Pro (6.3x2.34, 6.8x2.34 or 6.5x2.6) because I'm not happy with the ride of my current boat. Brig Eagle 6. She get's very slammy in anything around even F3-4 (i.e. around 2 foot short waves) even if I'm at minimum planing speed (12-14kts). Faster doesn't help either. I've decided she's not got a deep enough vee (17 deg transom, 20 deg midships). The bonus is she's stable at rest and underway and economical too (0.7-0.8l/Nm).
I can't get a test drive at the minute so wondering if anyone has any direct experience of any of the above. What's the minimum planing speed if conditions demand a slow plane? What sort of economy? Is there any noticeable handling difference between the 3 sizes? What sort of upwind conditions would be doable without being very uncomfortable (or risking bodily injury)?

At the risk of complicating the thread I'm also considering RibQuest 6.5x2.6 but info is very scarce. It's a dearer boat so trying to figure out if it's worth the extra.

Thanks
Old 09 September 2021, 18:55   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navman View Post
Hi all,
I'm considering a Humber Ocean Pro (6.3x2.34, 6.8x2.34 or 6.5x2.6) because I'm not happy with the ride of my current boat. Brig Eagle 6. She get's very slammy in anything around even F3-4 (i.e. around 2 foot short waves) even if I'm at minimum planing speed (12-14kts). Faster doesn't help either. I've decided she's not got a deep enough vee (17 deg transom, 20 deg midships). The bonus is she's stable at rest and underway and economical too (0.7-0.8l/Nm).
I can't get a test drive at the minute so wondering if anyone has any direct experience of any of the above. What's the minimum planing speed if conditions demand a slow plane? What sort of economy? Is there any noticeable handling difference between the 3 sizes? What sort of upwind conditions would be doable without being very uncomfortable (or risking bodily injury)?

At the risk of complicating the thread I'm also considering RibQuest 6.5x2.6 but info is very scarce. It's a dearer boat so trying to figure out if it's worth the extra.

Thanks
Is the ribquest a Dave rose designed boat ? If it is they are pearlers I’ve been in a 9.5 with twin 300 mercy’s on the back wow
Old 09 September 2021, 19:27   #3

I'm thinking new and have no idea if their current boat is same or different.
Old 09 September 2021, 19:56   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I’ve spent most of this summer cruising around the west coast of Scotland, my boat was a Humber Destroyer 5.8m 80hp and my pals boat is a Humber Ocean Pro 6.2m (or is it 6.3?)115hp. The two boats top out and the same speed, they use the same amount of fuel but the difference is the handling capabilities, the Ocean Pro is a completely different animal all together. It goes noticeably faster and smoother in the rough stuff, it’s a magic carpet in comparison to my boat.

I would have no doubts in recommending an Ocean Pro for its capabilities.
Old 09 September 2021, 20:06   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Be aware that all ribs have the potential to be slammy if the sea conditions are wrong for the hull. By design the tubes prevent the hull sinking too deeply into the water but they have so much buoyancy that the hull is stopped fairly abruptly.

Certainly some hulls are better riding than others and, generally, there's no substitute for longer hull length but there are exceptions. Tread carefully or you could spend a lot of money for little gain.

Humber hulls are good and the Ocean Pro is no exception but they do carry their tubes very much outside the hull, which is what gives them their stability, but if you get a wrong wavelength for the hull the tubes will do their job but life aboard will become harsh.
Old 10 September 2021, 07:21   #6

Definitely, and much appreciated.

A1an - what sort of top speed is he getting with the 115hp. Cheers
Old 10 September 2021, 14:59   #7

RIBase
34 knts downhill and wind behind.
Old 10 September 2021, 17:14   #8

Thanks, that's good to know. Although I'm not actually interested in top speed except that it gives an idea of cruising speed with a given engine.
Any thoughts on a minimum planing speed?
Cheers
Old 10 September 2021, 17:18   #9

RIBase
I don’t I’m afraid.
Old 11 September 2021, 13:28   #10

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
I run a 6.8 Shearwater cutter from Bembridge Marine and are regularly out with our friends who have a Ribquest Supersport 6.5m. I have a Yam 200hp and a they run a 175 Suzuki. Both top 40 knots but the Ribquest has the edge. Both are good with a deep V hull. The Supersport has a more leisurely set up with a rear bench whereas we miss the bench seat on the Shearwater. Great console on mine that protects you from the elements whilst the Ribquest is less protective. Its best thinking about what you want to use it for. I guess it might be the more serious ribbing if you are in Scotland. If you are serious about the Ribquest I am sure they our frineds would speak to you. The one they have is the red one with the two 6.5s pictured on the Ribquest website.

I have no experience with a Humber but there have been some stories about build quality.
Old 12 September 2021, 08:15   #11

Thanks pow2gran that's good info and thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that.
I wouldn't say it's serious ribbing I'm after but I do I want a reasonably smooth ride in a bit of chop and to know I can get back home if the wind kicks up. I've been out 2 or 3 times trying to make upwind progress into less than 2 foot waves and it's been quite uncomfortable and left me wondering what options I had left (having tried faster, slower, angle off, more trim in etc) if it got any worse.
Old 12 September 2021, 09:26   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Thanks pow2gran that's good info and thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that.
I wouldn't say it's serious ribbing I'm after but I do I want a reasonably smooth ride in a bit of chop and to know I can get back home if the wind kicks up. I've been out 2 or 3 times trying to make upwind progress into less than 2 foot waves and it's been quite uncomfortable and left me wondering what options I had left (having tried faster, slower, angle off, more trim in etc) if it got any worse.
I quite like Ribquest build and design ...the Humbers aren't like the early strongly built utility Bosts they once were....they seem to be playing the " numbers" game...stack em high and sell em cheap doesn't cut it long term

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 10:53   #13

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
I've heard that the way to go with Humber is to buy a bare hull and have someone else rig it. Swordfish Marine at Holy Loch Marina used to do this i think.
Old 12 September 2021, 17:02   #14

Aye I'd read about some Humber build quality issues on here and I'd been trying to figure out if it was an isolated instance or few instances or if it was endemic which would be a concern. I'll need to figure out what their warranty is as it's not obvious from their website. I definitely am drawn to a Humber. Simple, solid, smooth riding, not too expensive, I can also get the seating configuration that I want... but not if you delete solid from that.
Old 12 September 2021, 17:08   #15

...correction... Humber website says 5yr warranty
Old 12 September 2021, 17:26   #16

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Aye I'd read about some Humber build quality issues on here and I'd been trying to figure out if it was an isolated instance or few instances or if it was endemic.

Humber have been going over 50 years, so pretty easy to figure out I would say [emoji848]
Old 12 September 2021, 18:58   #17

That's one way of looking at it but then things change, companies change, people leave, new staff come in and standards can drift. Not saying they have, but I can see how they might.
Old 12 September 2021, 21:06   #18

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I look at Humber as the land rover defender not the best but you just have to luv em.
Old 12 September 2021, 21:19   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I look at Humber as the land rover defender not the best but you just have to luv em.
I’ve been scanning the for sale ads for a new boat and I think I’ve seen every marque described as “the Defender of the seas”
Old 12 September 2021, 22:11   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I’ve been scanning the for sale ads for a new boat and I think I’ve seen every marque described as “the Defender of the seas”

As sales pitches go it’s an interesting one: noisy, uncomfortable, wet, impractical for most actual leisure use, with a tendency to rot when exposed to salt water; albeit will get you out of most bother if you try to go somewhere silly and everyone will look at you knowing that you are serious about your hardware (or have more £ than sense).

Still at least we’ve moved on from every tatty old rib being described as “ex RNLI” even if it had never been near Poole!

Tags
rib