Old 10 August 2005, 15:08   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: QuickSilver 3.4m
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner Outboard 5hp
Send a message via MSN to chaskins Send a message via Yahoo to chaskins
Advice on First RIB

Hi,

I've currently got a 3.4m SIB and I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a RIB but not sure what would be the best first RIB to go for. I'm thinking of spending between £5k - £6k and would like something the whole family could enjoy. I have two small children so not sure jockey seat would be appropriate for them at the moment. My local marina in Portishead so ideally I like it to be powerful enough to handle going out from Portishead.

Also any advice what to look for when I go to view any potential RIBS?

Thanks

Chris
Old 10 August 2005, 15:26   #2

Town: St Austell
Make: Ribcraft 5.85m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 60HP Bigfoots
Send a message via MSN to boatbuoy
How much space do you have for storage? Or are you thinking of leaving it in the water?
Old 10 August 2005, 15:31   #3

I have a garage other than that no land to store a boat on, new house

Although my Mum has a very big drive and loads of land, enough to store a boat on

But if I was going to use it often from Portishead I would consider leaving in the marina, depending on moaring costs, which I have not yet looked into

Not a precise answer but storeage should not be a problem

Chris
Old 10 August 2005, 15:46   #4

Could do worse than:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F72715/

But will drink fuel, and you've gotta wonder why the club are sellling it. Most clubs don't look after boats well.

I'm a big fan of twin engines. I'd suggest looking for a Avon Sea Rider, or RibCraft or Humber, about 4.8 - 5.85m, with 50 - 90HP depending on size. Twin engines if you want double the running costs but lots more safety.
Old 10 August 2005, 19:02   #5

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuoy
Could do worse than:
http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F72715/

But will drink fuel, and you've gotta wonder why the club are sellling it. Most clubs don't look after boats well.

I'm a big fan of twin engines. I'd suggest looking for a Avon Sea Rider, or RibCraft or Humber, about 4.8 - 5.85m, with 50 - 90HP depending on size. Twin engines if you want double the running costs but lots more safety.
Have to agree with boatbuoy on this one, generally speaking club, and rescue boats lead hard lives and dont get looked after half as well as your own pride and joy. If like me you have storage difficulties then go for a rib up to 4.8 metres as this is about as big as your'll get in a standard sized garage, if you measure the garage remember you have the draw bar at the front and an engine sticking out the back to add to your calculations, also consider the height if what you buy has an A frame fitted, i bought mine without an A frame and had a local guy make one to my exact design.
Old 10 August 2005, 20:22   #6

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Chris my advice is dont buy a RIB at all - i tried to get a cheap boat for my self and my 2 kids to have fun in much like your self.

I spent about £4k on a small humber and all that happend is i had so much fun, all i could think about is buying a bigger better boat.

Once you dip you toe in the water of this Ribbing lark its very difficult to keep your wallet in your pocket.

Only kidding when i say dont buy a RIB just be prepared to get hooked and end up having to tell the wife she cant have stuff ! ! !
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2005, 20:59   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
That Humber's on ebay at the moment. It's actually an ex scouts RIB; they tend to look after their kit, and it looks OK so could be good.....
Old 11 August 2005, 01:04   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Have to agree with all that's said so far. Humbers, BWM's, Tornado and Seariders are all in your price range and are all good solid RIBs. The Humber in the Ad looks nice with the addition of two outboards, there's safety in numbers. You will however need some extra seating for your family, but adding extra bits is all in the fun of owning a RIB. Factor this into your budget.

Look for integrety of tubes (seams comming off, bits flapping and the woven innards of the hypalon showing through). The Hull is pretty bullit proof on all the RIBs mentioned above but look out for accident damage and large cracks (small ones aren't nessassarily a sign of a bad hull and could be common in an older RIB of this price range), fresh anti-fouling might have been used to hide something underneath. Chips and scratches can be repaired easily, only being more difficult in colours other than white.

Check outboards over, inside and out (ask for service history and address/telephone number of service centre), Make a note of the serial numbers and give the dealers a ring, this helps check against theft as well.

Check also trailer and also when the bearings were done last (you don't want your wheel to come off on the way home).

Always ask for a Sea trial and if they refuse, walk away! Unless you know what you're doing.

After purchase you'll want to protect your new baby, so remeber to insure her.

Have fun.

Andy
Old 11 August 2005, 08:23   #9

Great advice guys, thanks for that.

That Humber does look great. My only concern is where the kids sit. But I'm sure I can sort that out

Roycruse, I know what you mean. I bought my SIB last year just to see if the family would like boating, which luckily they do, and already I want something bigger. The SIB is great for use on holidays but I want something I can have a blast on at weekends etc.

Right, I best get looking ... oh and convince the good lady.

Chris
Old 11 August 2005, 08:47   #10

Rip out the Bottle rack, (or at least unbolt it it!). There will be 4-8 thread bolt holes in the deck. Fashion your own seat base and fit to those.

Get yourself a Blue Peter badge for your efforts.
Old 11 August 2005, 12:33   #11

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
That Humber's on ebay at the moment. It's actually an ex scouts RIB; they tend to look after their kit, and it looks OK so could be good.....
Be very aware about those engines, i'm no expert but they look fairly old to me ! could be expensive if something goes wrong and remember if one dies your going to end up replacing both, twins can be a godsend or a complete night mare !

Best advise is to go and look at it, take someone with you that has an idea about what they are looking at and value it for its condition now, also worth really checking over those engines, i learnt the hard way and am still suffering the costs of a replacement engine even now, its an expensive thing to get wrong.

Tim's actually wrong, our Scouts run the boats up and down the beach, they live outdoors in all weather and becuase they are driven hard by lots of different people tend to suffer a lot more than privatly owned - again i learnt the hard way and bought an ex dingy club safety boat and again its cost me money to fix up, in general club and afety boats dont tend to get the hours of maintenance, polishing, chip fixing and general attention that privatly owned boats get.

Sorry Tim no offence meant