Old 07 March 2005, 09:18   #1

Town: Youghal
Length: no boat
Advice needed about XS RIBS

Hi,

I hope to buy a RIB in the near future and the XS-600 looks like good value for money and a quality build. The RIB will be used for diving and general crusing (50/50) off east Cork in southern Ireland. Budget is approx £18k.

All information I have got on these RIBS so far has been very positive, however, I did read somewhere the suggestion that they can be a bit unstable when at rest - does anyone have any views on this? (I believe that the inbuilt fuel tank is located in the console and bot underfloor - could this be a factor?).

Any information or opinions that anyone has on these RIBS is very welcome.

Thank You.
Old 07 March 2005, 15:13   #2

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Hi,

I have the XS-700 and have had no problems regarding stability if anything it's hugely stable and very well put together. You'll find that at rest the tubes sit in the water quite nicely which while detracts slightly from the performance does make for a more stable craft.

Although would suggest a little item for your shopping list would be a jublilee clip to go around the elephants trunk as mine fell off at the weekend!

Apart from that, the rib has taken everything I have thrown at it and kept coming back for more!

I think you'll be very pleased with an XS-Rib!

P.S. Barnet Marine's service is second to none and will help walk you through the whole process.

Edit: Steve (swginn) who posts on here has an XS-600 and he's around your neck of the woods and would probably be very happy for you to go and have a look at his.
Old 07 March 2005, 17:08   #3

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Hi.

As Pettal as already said I've got an XS-600 (its actually featured on the XS-Ribs homepage:
http://www.boat-finder.net/17858/info.php (bottom left)
and also in the owners comments section here:
http://www.boat-finder.com/17858/ind...ve_menu_id=789

Firstly the suggestion that they are unstable at rest. The tubes on my boat just touch the water at the back of the boat while at rest and unloaded, which provides a stable platform without sacrificing performance as they sit well clear of the water once underway. Once the boat has been loaded with a few bodies/dive gear it becomes even more stable as more of the tubes touch the water. The only situation I can see being a little unstable would be a on a very lightly loaded boat with a light engine. I've got a V6 Opti so that does make the boat sit lower and more stable at rest. With the 3 cylinder Opti (much lighter!) on a lightly loaded boat combined with the steep deep V of the XS then lateral stability may be an issue and there may be a see-saw effect. Pics of the boat loaded and unloaded are at the end of the reply.

You are spot on as regards value and quality. The performance, rough weather capability and general handling of our rig has been truly outstanding. I can just about squeeze 50knots out of our setup. Your budget of €18k will definitely get you a nice rig. Ours certainly cost a lot less than that €18k.

A few tips:

If you are getting an Optimax I recommend the V6 block ahead of the 3 cylinder as the added weight improves stability (see above). Also you do get a lot more for your extra money besides the added horsepower with a stainless prop and better twin smartcraft gauges instead of the single digital readout.

If you get a 2-stroke direct injection/carb bring back plenty of oil as its a hell of a lot cheaper in the UK I still have 12 gallons left since last May!!

Have a read off the following threads on the XS-600
http://www.rib.net/forum/search.php?searchid=142377

and one on the exceptional service from Barnet Marine
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7822

If you have any questions don't hesitate to e-mail/pm me!! I'm only over the road in Carrigaline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unloaded.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	10648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loaded.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10649  
Old 07 March 2005, 20:50   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by p00ba
I did read somewhere the suggestion that they can be a bit unstable when at rest
Hi there, I mentioned something like this in a recent post. The guy I replied to wanted to use one as a fishing platform, and the XS-600 is balance sensitive when lightly loaded, and in my opinion for hours at rest, bobbing & fishing there are better options. I think for diving and general cruising you will have no problem.

The XS-600 seems like a great boat and good value for money. It handles very well for its size. The quality of build is very good and Barnet's fitout is no less a job than the Tornados they fitout ... excellent.

I think you should try one and see for yourself, there is no better way than have a test drive, in the conditions you would wish to use it in. Give Barnet a ring there is bound to be someone in your area you could grab a try with.

Here are some pics I took for Barnet last year for PR materials, and some pics our our club boat when it arrived.

http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/XS600/index.htm
http://www.badviz.com/Galleries/ClubRib/index.htm

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2005, 10:31   #5

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Steve: Funnily enough, I use my cover in exactly the same way!

The other point I'd make is if you have plan to moor it on a full time mooring then I wouldn't bother with the full cover and go for a console cover. The full cover is a bit of a bitch to get on otherwise and more often than not you end up leaving it off completely.

I plan to get a console cover made once the old pennies have recouped!
Old 08 March 2005, 12:24   #6

Town: Youghal
Length: no boat
Thanks for all the advice and tips. The pics look great. My mind is a bit more at ease now.
Old 08 March 2005, 14:52   #7

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Pettal, yep I'm in the process of getting two covers made up, one for the console and one for the double jockeys.

p00ba, I would offer to bring you out for a blast, but between college, work and different events I can't see myself being out on the water before May!!

If you do decide to put in an order before then I can e-mail you a copy of my order and some more photos,etc. Also if yo've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I've advised 3 others living in Ireland about their XS-Rib orders so am well experienced at this stage.