Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 July 2022, 19:33   #1

Town: Dunmore East
Advice in buying our first rib

Hi everyone,
Just joined Ribnet and would really appreciate members opinions in relation to the following.
I’m thinking of buying a rib for cruising and fishing both on rivers, loughs and near coastal. I’ve just seen a Zodiac Pro 4.9 with a 50 hp mercury engine that looks in very good condition. Is the engine powerful enough for the rib – looking for a sensible turn of speed (20 knots?) without having to max the throttle. Is it suitable for 1 or 2 people – me and my good lady who are both in our early 60’s (but in good physical shape!). Is the size (4.9 m) practical – don’t want something so small that the bow almost points to the sky when you open the throttle nor anything longer than necessary? Is it suitable for 1 or 2 people with respect to launching and recovery – we are not planning of keeping it in the water. Any problems towing a rib this size?
All comments and/or suggestions would be very well received and appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 14 July 2022, 21:03   #2
ptm

Town: Stockport
Boat name: Mine Craft
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
To be honest, although the rib sounds ideal for two people including easy launch and recovery, and towing, in my opinion a rib is not the ideal boat to fish from. They just don’t really have enough deck space and the relatively low sides are not ideal to fish over either. They make great cruising craft of course, and 50hp should be plenty for a 5m Zodiac. Anyway, that’s my opinion- no doubt others will contribute- but whatever you decide, you’ll have a great time on a rib.
Old 14 July 2022, 21:21   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinia View Post
Hi everyone,

Just joined Ribnet and would really appreciate members opinions in relation to the following.

I’m thinking of buying a rib for cruising and fishing both on rivers, loughs and near coastal. I’ve just seen a Zodiac Pro 4.9 with a 50 hp mercury engine that looks in very good condition. Is the engine powerful enough for the rib – looking for a sensible turn of speed (20 knots?) without having to max the throttle. Is it suitable for 1 or 2 people – me and my good lady who are both in our early 60’s (but in good physical shape!). Is the size (4.9 m) practical – don’t want something so small that the bow almost points to the sky when you open the throttle nor anything longer than necessary? Is it suitable for 1 or 2 people with respect to launching and recovery – we are not planning of keeping it in the water. Any problems towing a rib this size?

All comments and/or suggestions would be very well received and appreciated.

Thank you!
I'd say it sounds pretty good for your intended use, a nice size to launch & recover for 2 or even 1& should be below 750kg with the trailer so no need for brakes which is a huge bonus assuming your car is rated to tow it unbraked. Many folk fish from ribs without issues with hooks or falling over the low freeboard you just need to be careful the big advantageis if you take a wave over the side you can easily keep going which can'tbe said for many hard boats. The engine isnt huge but should be adequate for your estimated cruise speed without flogging it.
Boats are very much a personal choice some folk have different preferences utilitarian or leisure orientated which you prefer is totally a personal choice
Old 15 July 2022, 08:17   #4

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Hi Turbinia, I'd say it sounds good. RIBs are generally thought of as the 4x4 of the sea, they're great all rounders. Sure, if you're a dedicated fisherman and thats your thing then there are boats more suited to this, but if you just want to be out on the water and throw a line or 2 over then you'll be fine in a RIB. The advantage of a RIB is if you are out in coastal waters and the weather turns against you, then they're a safe boat to be in. You may find if you're cruising up a river then you my have to drop the speed slightly more than a hard boat as RIBs can cause a bigger wash at low speeds but for overall Id say you'll be fine.

I like a bit of fishing but not a dedicated fisherman, really just after some mackerel and bass for the pan or BBQ. I've had both a hard fast fisher and now a RIB, out the 2, the RIB suites my needs better now. I terms of towing, launching etc then you'll be fine with the Zodiac and 2 up the performance will be more than adequate to see your 20kts.
Old 15 July 2022, 19:40   #5

Town: Billericay
Make: SR 5.4
Engine: Evenrude E-tec 90
Just checking another possibility, something like a Orkney 16ft hard bottom fishing boat, more deck space with a bit of shelter which is good at times. Rib wil be a much better ride though.
Old 15 July 2022, 19:54   #6

Town: Caernarfon
Make: RibX
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
I'm 64 and have a 5.1m with an 80hp Yamaha and can launch and recover alone (although usually my wife helps).
Go for it !
Old 15 July 2022, 23:39   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Normal rule of thumb is to fit the maximum rated hp on the transom. That way you’re not wondering what if down the line? I had a check regards the Zodiac Pro 500 4.7m and it will take 70hp.

Yamaha’s 4-stroke 70hp is insanely quiet, frugal and light compared to competitors.

Anyway, put my wish list to one side. The 50hp will be fine, but as we say in Scotland it’s not going to set the heather alight. 1 to 2up will be fine. Add passengers and you’ll notice a difference.

You mention fishing. I’ve fished from my Ribcraft for the last 12 years and from a Zodiac Pro prior to that. The tubeset isn’t an issue. Be careful and you’ll be fine. Deck space and seating set-up however is an issue.

I’ve got jockeys. Great for rough weather and underway on route, but once you’re at rest, then they are remarkably uncomfortable. If the Pro has a rear bench seat, then that offers a degree of comfort. I’ve even deployed camp chairs on my boat for a decent seat, or even plumped for the Avon 8 tender (bagged up).

Launch and recovery should be fine if using slipways at tide. If you’re beach launching and miss the tide it’s hard work, especially if using ropes or manhandling a trailer, laden boat and fuel. Will be unbraked 750kg trailer. Keep on top of the bearings and trailer maintenance for a worry free life. LED lightboard should be top of your list.
Old 18 July 2022, 17:16   #8

Town: Dunmore East
Shakespeare 6m

My thanks to everyone who replied to my post - it really does help when you are new to ribs.
On a different subject, does anyone have experience/knowledge of Shakespeare ribs. I've seen one that's 6m with a 100 hp Yamaha (carburettor model) that looks very interesting.
Thank you.
Old 18 July 2022, 21:53   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Ever owned a boat before? What attracted you to a rib? You can all you desire and much more from a rib but rarely are they first choice for fishing. The fish gutting and prepping tend to make a mess for a start. I mean you can fish from kayak many people do but it would not be most fisherman’s first choice….

Tags
rib