Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 10 August 2017, 21:15   #21

Town: London
Boat name: Wookie
Make: Avon A560
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
So just to summarise - is the length of the rib more important when dealing with Solent chop, or the deadrise of the hull?

I.e. Would a 5.85/6m proper deep v be sufficient to be a good upgrade or would the length still be an issue? So thus needing a 6.5/7/7.5m to handle well?

As above, I'm not too worried about manoeuvrability on trailers etc, but I don't really want to end up with a 200+hour engine and subsequent running costs!
Old 10 August 2017, 22:16   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie 1 View Post
Would a 5.85/6m proper deep v be sufficient to be a good upgrade or would the length still be an issue? So thus needing a 6.5/7/7.5m to handle well?

A deep V hull will definitely give you a significant improvement in how the boat handles the short, steep Solent chop.

However another metre or two in length would be a definite advantage though as you'd be able to get on top of a lot of it rather than bashing through every wave.

In Solent conditions a 7 or 8 metre RIB can feel like a magic carpet compared to a 5 or 6 metre RIB.
Old 10 August 2017, 22:28   #23

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
I moved from an Adventure 560 to a Ribcraft 585. The RC is definitely a much softer ride in rough weather, and will find its way through the waves much better. It is a much heavier rib, and is designed for professional use. Having said this, any rib of this length is still going to be a lively ride in rough weather.
Old 10 August 2017, 22:36   #24

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I'd say the deadrise is more important , but if you can go longer as well, then as John points out, that will also make a big difference.

Most RIB's in the 7-8m+ market are going to be fairly deep V, so you'd likely get both length and deadrise together.

I think it all comes down to budget, and what you want from the boat - if you want to pay the purchase, running and maintenance costs of a much larger RIB, you would get lots of performance/handling improvements. If you want a less costly upgrade, unless you're really doing frequent long passages in foul weather, something like an RC 585 (or equivalent from other similar brands) would be a significant improvement, would cope well with the vast majority of Solent conditions, and is well suited if you want to explore coastal cruising as well.
Old 10 August 2017, 22:43   #25

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie 1 View Post
So just to summarise - is the length of the rib more important when dealing with Solent chop, or the deadrise of the hull?

I.e. Would a 5.85/6m proper deep v be sufficient to be a good upgrade or would the length still be an issue? So thus needing a 6.5/7/7.5m to handle well?

As above, I'm not too worried about manoeuvrability on trailers etc, but I don't really want to end up with a 200+hour engine and subsequent running costs!
have a look at a video that Xk59D put up I think it shows perfectly the difference a even a metre an make the video was called Clyde day out summer 17 look about 1.44 and 4.12 my rib is 5.3 and last tangos is 6.5 it spans the waves that bit better
Old 11 August 2017, 02:43   #26

Town: Cork
Boat name: N/A
Make: Humber
Engine: Yamaha 80hp autolube
Keep your boat, sounds like you love it and at 5.5m is great fun on the swells!

Maybe buy a wetsuit...... [emoji41]
Old 11 August 2017, 11:13   #27

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
A deep V hull will definitely give you a significant improvement in how the boat handles the short, steep Solent chop.

However another metre or two in length would be a definite advantage though as you'd be able to get on top of a lot of it rather than bashing through every wave.

In Solent conditions a 7 or 8 metre RIB can feel like a magic carpet compared to a 5 or 6 metre RIB.
But the same length and the same angle at transom can behave differently.
In Greece is very popular 5,5m RIB (after crisis), deep V but really heavy.

On the other side I was looking for SKPPER 7m RIB which has 33 deg at transom (very very deep V) but it is very light. Maker guarantee that this RIB with 200 HP Yam I can tow on trailer GVW 1500 kg :O

Mine boat on choppy Sea bechave differently if use
VIPER 19" prop
REBEL 19" prop

With Rebel it is really different kind of animal. Not jumps, much better reacts to shift from more to less power.

It is very hard to stop be on plane (which is very common use VIPER prop and reduce speed)
Old 05 September 2017, 07:54   #28

Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Also: you say you also sail... Does that mean this is not your primary money pit? Given that you've got this Avon just how you like it (And you aren't going to get that time/money back) is it really worth sinking a load of extra into another second hand boat?

To answer your original question though... we went from a 1993 Humber Attaque 5.3 to a Redbay 6.1. The difference in heavy weather is night and day. The Humber was a great wee boat and felt very safe, but you have to slow down much earlier than in the Redbay. We can easily maintain 20knots in force 5 - 6 for as long as our backs can take it. In fact the only time we can keep up with the big lads is when it's lumpy![emoji6]

How much of that is down to the shorter Humber length? Would a 6m Humber have compared better, I wonder?

Tags
rib