Old 29 June 2012, 16:33   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Opti
Advancd Powerboat CoC exam... any takers?

I'm looking to do my RYA Advanced Powerboat CoC exam in the next few weeks, having already done all the other bits and bobs (VHF, Sea Survival etc. etc.).

Is anyone aware of anywhere doing it cheap, I don't need training just the exam. Alternatively do we have any CoC examiners on Ribnet? There are plenty of places that can do it but the cost of doing it solo is astronomical, and finding a second person who wants to do the CoC exam is proving tricky to say the least.

Has anyone done the exam as well? Would be interesting to talk about their experience...

Any help from any commercial operators or anyone involved in instructing around the Solent would be invaluable.

Thanks, Josh
Old 29 June 2012, 17:56   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I think I'm right in saying the exam fee is the same everywhere.
Old 29 June 2012, 18:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I think I'm right in saying the exam fee is the same everywhere.
It is but boat hire for the day and the instructors fees aren't, they range from £120 to about £280...
Old 30 June 2012, 08:11   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_P View Post
I don't need training just the exam. Alternatively do we have any CoC examiners on Ribnet?
Quote:
It is but boat hire for the day and the instructors fees aren't, they range from £120 to about £280...
Not sure why you are getting quoted for an Instructor if you don't need any training. £120 for a coded charter boat for an afternoon and evening is pretty cheap. Can't you use the RIB in your profile though?

As Tim sais the exam fee is the same everywhere. Get your boat sorted and one of us will happily examine you. Be warned however that going for the exam without any training can prove more expensive in the long run. Your night pilotage needs to be accurate and this is where we find most experienced power boaters need some coaching.
Old 30 June 2012, 08:19   #5

Also worth noting you don't need to go through a centre for this. So if you were able to borrow a boat (or use your own) that was suitably kitted up, all you'd need to do is book the examiner directly with the RYA.
Old 30 June 2012, 10:54   #6

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce

Not sure why you are getting quoted for an Instructor if you don't need any training. £120 for a coded charter boat for an afternoon and evening is pretty cheap. Can't you use the RIB in your profile though?

As Tim sais the exam fee is the same everywhere. Get your boat sorted and one of us will happily examine you. Be warned however that going for the exam without any training can prove more expensive in the long run. Your night pilotage needs to be accurate and this is where we find most experienced power boaters need some coaching.
I did the prep course and exam through Stormforce last year. In my opinion it was excellent value for money, considering it included two full days of training, rib use for three days, & all fuel. Bear in mind you will probably burn 60 - 80 litres of fuel doing the exam in your own rib or a charter rib.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 11:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Also worth noting you don't need to go through a centre for this. So if you were able to borrow a boat (or use your own) that was suitably kitted up, all you'd need to do is book the examiner directly with the RYA.
Have been thinking about that but there is quite a lot of kit lik a 6 man valise, compass, alternative means of propulsion etc. etc., does anyone know where i can hire a liferaft for the day?

Upon exiting the boat please check the bilge for your valuables...
Josh_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 11:45   #8

As Tim sais the exam fee is the same everywhere. Get your boat sorted and one of us will happily examine you. Be warned however that going for the exam without any training can prove more expensive in the long run. Your night pilotage needs to be accurate and this is where we find most experienced power boaters need some coaching.[/QUOTE]

I did my advanced powerboat about 3 weeks ago with solent boat events and since then ive done some practise in our rib so i'm really hoping i dont need more coaching, im feeling quite confident...

Upon exiting the boat please check the bilge for your valuables...
Josh_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 13:21   #9

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_P

I did my advanced powerboat about 3 weeks ago with solent boat events and since then ive done some practise in our rib so i'm really hoping i dont need more coaching, im feeling quite confident...
When I did my exam we didn't venture out onto the water until well after sunset. So make sure you get lots of night time practice in beforehand. Finding unlit marks in the dark needs practice.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2012, 22:54   #10

Quote:
Have been thinking about that but there is quite a lot of kit lik a 6 man valise, compass, alternative means of propulsion etc. etc., does anyone know where i can hire a liferaft for the day?
Josh, I've just looked at your profile info and realise what boat you have at your disposal (I had a half drunken chat with your father once as I had the same model). That boat is more than suitable for doing the exam in. You don't need a liferaft - the requirements can be found here. I should imagine you'll have all of this stuff on board already:

Advanced Powerboat | Exams | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA