Old 15 May 2019, 13:41   #1

Town: St. Thomas
Boat name: Getting There
Make: Achilles
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Achilles 310

Hello Everyone,
I’m new to the forum, and I hope that some here can help with what I thought would be a medium size problem but is a major headache.

The Achillles 310 is an aluminum bottom rib that weighs about 115#. I am currently cruising in a 37’ sailboat with an excellent arch. The problem is that the lifting points in this dink were poorly thought out.

1. The bow point is too far forward so the line chafes against the pontoon. This can be managed, but it’s a PITA.

2. This is the major problem. The stern lifting points are low and relatively close together. The result is that the boat is quite unstable coming out of the water. It is impossible to lift it with the engine on it because of the risk of flipping it over. A tag line is an awkward answer because I sail alone. Taking the engine off is a whole other hassle.

Has anyone had this problem with this or similar dinghies? I’m thinking that if I put new padeyes through the transom closer to the top I might get better control. But the force on the vessel would be quite different.

Any help?

TIA,
Steve
Old 15 May 2019, 16:18   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i would go for the transom eyes near the top spread out as far as possible and go for the three point lift you're lift point will be nearer the stern on the boat due to the weight of the engine and transom if that doesn't suit, you could glue pad eyes onto the tubes and a a bridle with a 5 point lift if it suited you but i would try the three point first
Old 15 May 2019, 18:49   #3

Town: St. Thomas
Boat name: Getting There
Make: Achilles
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Thank you, Jeff. I’m thinking the padeyes in the stern and a 3-point lift system in the bow. That would solve the chaffe problem, too!
S.