Old 15 August 2013, 10:02   #1

Town: Northwest
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60
Aberdaron

Hi all

off to the Llyn Peninsula (first time) for the bank holiday weekend and the following week. Planning to use the slipway at Aberdaron as it should be a little less packed than Abersoch.

has anyone launched there before and are there any places within crusing distance that are worth a look.

Cheers

Buzzin
Old 15 August 2013, 19:23   #2

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Hi never launch there before! Not sure what your fuel tank range is but I would definitely check out Ty Coch (has webcam on Tinternet)
Old 15 August 2013, 21:14   #3

All up with main tank and plastic tanks (courtesy of Mr Kerny) I have a conservative range of circa 75 miles. (Total capacity of 90 litres).This assumes burn rate of 1 mile per litre plus 15 litres in reserve.On top of that we carry two 5 litre containers under the console for emergencies though I do not plan on using them. This should be enough to get us to Tycoch and back.
Old 16 August 2013, 20:55   #4

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
I personally haven't launched there but whenever I have had a walk on the beach it looks pretty difficult with loads of very very soft sand and banks of loose shingle. Apparently their used to be local with a tractor who would do it but don't know if he is still around. I wouldn't consider it with my nissan patrol but maybe someone who has more up to date info could comment.

My advice would be to take a very good look first both a high and low water and if in doubt use somewhere else like porth ysgaden or morfa nefyn.

good luck
dave
Old 17 August 2013, 05:12   #5

Cheers Dave.

I'm led to believe that the Bardsea Island trust still run a tractor. I'll heed your advice re taking a look first.

Cheers

Buzzin
Old 17 August 2013, 07:16   #6

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
I personally haven't launched there but whenever I have had a walk on the beach it looks pretty difficult with loads of very very soft sand and banks of loose shingle. Apparently their used to be local with a tractor who would do it but don't know if he is still around. I wouldn't consider it with my nissan patrol but maybe someone who has more up to date info could comment.

My advice would be to take a very good look first both a high and low water and if in doubt use somewhere else like porth ysgaden or morfa nefyn.

good luck
dave
+1 to that.

You can launch at Nefyn, then turn left to the Ty Coch or right to Pilots Cove on Anglesey and its west coast.

Pilots Cove to Ty Coch is from memory about 15 miles, but anything westerly can leave it a little exposed.

Have fun.

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2013, 08:39   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Length: 6m +
Looks westerly ish today, the Strait by Bangor is Very Blowy with white horses scattered everywhere. i wouldnt enjoy rowing out today.

The run from Ty Coch to Pilots cove would be V lumpy today with a long fetch to pick up the waves.
Old 17 August 2013, 09:17   #8

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
It was a while ago when I launched at aberdaron but the soft sand at the top needed a run up to get over (in a 4x4). If your trailer has any low cross members they can act against you like a plough and get you stuck. Worth paying the tractor man if he is there.