Town: San Jose
Boat name: the boat
Make: AB Oceanus 15VST
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 338102309
AB Alumina 15 ALX

Hi All,

anybody can tell me any bad/good feedback? Any feedback at all?

The dealer gives a good deal for this boat. I searched for reviews and could not find any.

I attached some pictures the dealer has sent me. Unfortunately the boat is ~360 miles away, did not have a chance to check it out.

Here is the list of standard equipment

Battery Tray
Bow Stowage Hatch
Console Front Access Lid
Console with Forward Seat & Stowage
Davit Lifting Points
Fiberglass Lateral Step with s/s. Cleat
Fold-Down Stern Cushioned Seat & Stowage
Fuel Filler Cap & Vent
Heavy Duty Double Rub Rail
Hypalon Grab Handles
Integrated Fuel Tank at the Bow
Maintenance Kit
Navigational Lights
Non-Skid Deck
Orca Hypalon Five Coated Fabric
Owner's Manual
S/S Console Grab Handle
S/S Stern Towing Rings
Sending Unit
Steering System
Transom Protector

PS: I'm looking for 15' - 16' RIB which I'm going to use for diving and ocean fishing.

Thanks in advance,
Igor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alx.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	55908   Click image for larger version

Name:	alx2.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	55909   Click image for larger version

Name:	alx5.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	55910   Click image for larger version

Name:	alx8.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	55911   Click image for larger version

Name:	alx7.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	55912  

Old 05 December 2010, 02:51   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Igor;

I find it interesting that they painted the aluminum hull. Makes me suspect it's not 5000 series aluminum. Not that that would be really bad (316 is still pretty good with respect to corrosion resistance), but 5000 series is pretty much the industry standard for marine use. Any chance you can find out what they used? And how thick the plate is?

jky
Old 05 December 2010, 03:44   #3

On their site it's "single-piece, marine grade 5086 alloy and 3.17mm thick sheets"

http://www.abinflatables.com/why_frame.htm

I'll definitely ask the dealer why it's painted.
Old 05 December 2010, 15:58   #4

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
When you ask why it is painted could I suggest you ask what it is painted with.

They may say the reason for painting is for non slip of deck areas and to allow you to antifoul the hull. But paint will also cover up any filler used if the hull has been poorly constructed. For me the beauty of ally is that where ever possible you don’t paint it but others may disagree and you are an engineer so no doubt have your own opinion.

I would like to know more about the under deck fuel tank which I think from the web site you have, its filler and how the fuel lines run. Also are there any conduits in place for steering cables / hydraulics etc.

It looks as if they call it a modular boat with grp console, seat and anchor locker already in place. From the pictures the anchor locker looks as if there are some plates welded to the deck and perhaps the locker is bolted to them. Possibly the console and the seat have the same arrangement but it would be interesting to know for certain how these modules are attached.

The transom seems to have what I would suspect is a ply plate attached which also has been painted. If this is correct again how is this attached?

I like the idea of lifting points as standard as long as they are properly reinforced.

No sign of any elephant’s trunk

It isn’t a big boat so I guess you will probably be taking it out at the end of each day and wash it down with fresh water. As such corrosion won’t be so much of an issue.

Lastly I have no idea if you are paying a premium for this or if it is competitively priced compared with a non ally rib which at the end of the day is all important.

I would be interested to know how you get on

Jon
Old 05 December 2010, 18:48   #5

The painting is what bothers me the most..
I'll shoot an update once I have all questions answered by the seller.

It's rubber engine plate according to their website. I guess it's bolted, but not sure.

They are going to rig the boat with Honda 50HP. There will be an elephant’s trunk once
they rig it.

It's 2009 model, so I'm not paying any extra for ally hull. The price is better than I would pay for Zodiac Pro 500/Pro 9 hypalon with similar rig. They are getting rid of previous years models. 10 years warranty is another thing which attracts...

Not that I decided to buy it already. I definitely need some help from this forum...

Here are some more pictures and drawings from their site:

http://www.abinflatables.com/fotosid...asp?codigo=132
http://www.abinflatables.com/fototop...asp?codigo=132
http://www.abinflatables.com/fotoper...asp?codigo=132
http://www.abinflatables.com/foto_de....asp?codigo=63
http://www.abinflatables.com/foto_de....asp?codigo=63
http://www.abinflatables.com/adminis...s/cad15alx.pdf
http://www.abinflatables.com/adminis...chock15alx.pdf
http://www.abinflatables.com/adminis...s/acc15alx.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
When you ask why it is painted could I suggest you ask what it is painted with.

They may say the reason for painting is for non slip of deck areas and to allow you to antifoul the hull. But paint will also cover up any filler used if the hull has been poorly constructed. For me the beauty of ally is that where ever possible you don’t paint it but others may disagree and you are an engineer so no doubt have your own opinion.

I would like to know more about the under deck fuel tank which I think from the web site you have, its filler and how the fuel lines run. Also are there any conduits in place for steering cables / hydraulics etc.

It looks as if they call it a modular boat with grp console, seat and anchor locker already in place. From the pictures the anchor locker looks as if there are some plates welded to the deck and perhaps the locker is bolted to them. Possibly the console and the seat have the same arrangement but it would be interesting to know for certain how these modules are attached.

The transom seems to have what I would suspect is a ply plate attached which also has been painted. If this is correct again how is this attached?

I like the idea of lifting points as standard as long as they are properly reinforced.

No sign of any elephant’s trunk

It isn’t a big boat so I guess you will probably be taking it out at the end of each day and wash it down with fresh water. As such corrosion won’t be so much of an issue.

Lastly I have no idea if you are paying a premium for this or if it is competitively priced compared with a non ally rib which at the end of the day is all important.

I would be interested to know how you get on

Jon
Old 06 December 2010, 16:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeoktistov View Post
On their site it's "single-piece, marine grade 5086 alloy and 3.17mm thick sheets"
Hmmm. I wonder about the "single piece" statement.

I always heard that complex shapes were quite difficult and expensive in aluminum, which is part of the reason why aluminum hulls are welded from a bunch of smaller formed pieces of plate.

jky
Old 07 December 2010, 01:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Hmmm. I wonder about the "single piece" statement.

I always heard that complex shapes were quite difficult and expensive in aluminum, which is part of the reason why aluminum hulls are welded from a bunch of smaller formed pieces of plate.

jky
The seller refers to the manufacturer website. And there is not much info there.
The painting is enamel. However, no definite answer why it's painted.
This is maybe a good boat. But I'm passing it by. Too many uncertainties...
Old 07 December 2010, 15:35   #8

Don't know. I have seen several people with AB RIB's (mostly smaller GRP hulls), and they've been happy with them. Can't say I've looked too closely at the boats, though.

BTW, it was nice talking to you at Breakwater the other day.

jky