Old 29 January 2006, 17:48   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Sula / Mingulay
Make: Ribcraft 7.8/4m avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300 hp outboard
A slight list to port...

We have recently bought a 4 year old redbay 6.5m with a wraparound console, powered by a 225 hp Yamaha. We've had it out a couple of times now and i've noticed that it lists to port, both when stationary and when under way.

The only thing that we have which could cause imbalance is a 5 hp suzuki two stroke which sits on a bracket on the port side of the transom. Could this be enough to cause a list on this size of boat, or is it likely to be something more sinister.

I guess the easy way to check would be to remove the spare engine, but if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be keen to hear your views.

First posting so i hope i've done this right!

Many thanks
Alasdair
Old 30 January 2006, 00:04   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Just a few thoughts. I've no idea what construction is under the deck but presuming the boat to be ok, ie. no water in compartments in hull. Since it's listing at rest, it has got to be weight. Where is the battery, the same side as the auxiliary? Is the seating central and equally spaced each side? Is the engine central on the transom? Just search it out. It will not take much weight to lean the hull at rest. However, underway, the engine torque reaction will tend to tip the boat to port. It is common to mount the main motor to starboard to help counteract this.

A boat will list into the wind. You didn't just happen to notice this with wind on the port side, did you?