Old 30 November 2001, 12:36   #1

Town: N.C.
A RIB question!

I see several of the 'Panthercats ' for sale. I haven't read any reviews and was wondering what is the word on these RIBs. I know they are made in Poland, but not much else...Thanks.
Old 30 November 2001, 13:25   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
I may be wrong..........

but I think they are based on (or exactly the same as) BWM designs. Panthercat Rapier 29 = BWM Rapier 29???

Paul Lemmer would be the man to comment. I'm sure I asked him this question at some point and got some answer to that effect.

As an owner of a BWM Deepsea 21 I can vouch for the design if not the build quality.

Alan
Old 30 November 2001, 13:42   #3

?

Alan,
I was under the impression the Panthercat, was a catamaran hull...thanks for clearing that up.
Old 30 November 2001, 22:54   #4

Another rib ?...

I have recieved some details from Humber...the Ocean Extreme 7.0 meter Rib facts are quite impressive with the MERC. 1.7 DTI turbo diesel, sterndrive. Ttop speed 35 knots, fuel consumption @ 30 knots ...7.5 litres per hour, fuel tank range 900 miles!...
I know the beam has been narrowed on this model, and assuming these mileage figures are with a 200 litre fuel tank...my question is does anyone feel this Rib to be under powered? And/or has anyone been aboard this model, and could share their thoughts...
Thanks...
Old 01 December 2001, 07:44   #5

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Its not so much that the beam has been narrowed, more that the tube diameter has been reduced and slightly tapered. I have been aboard an outboard version with 140HP and it was plenty, capable of 50 knots, so 115HP should be fine. Good, soft ride, even on side impacts. I bought a 5.5 version as a result. I have also heard reports of this actual boat being able to do more like 40 knots, well balanced too. There are several others on this site that should have more direct experience of this actual boat..
Old 01 December 2001, 11:52   #6

Town: hull yorkshire england
The results for the 7m are correct. The boat was set up in such a way as to deliberately show off both the engine performance and the capabilities of the rib.Building an affordable performance craft where both aims during development.
Humber also have the same engine in a 6.3 Ocean Pro used for demo purposes and this is also a very sound package.
The 7m Extreme with the 140 Suzuki seen at Southampton this year is not yet on the market but early test results are very very good. This will be well worth looking out for and I believe a review of this rib will be shortly to appear in Rib International but don t quote me on that.
Old 01 December 2001, 20:16   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Sirzap
Do you REALLY mean 30 knots speed gives consumption of only 7.5 lph ?? This would mean 4 miles per litre?
Or do you mean 7.5 GALLs per hour?
Brian
Old 01 December 2001, 21:25   #8

correct info...

Brian,
Here is the info... Pretty impressive,
Quite a combination and if you could manage 300 litres of fuel, then, this is one fine long distance combination for a Rib of 7 meters...
Which gets back to my question, if this combo is under powered or not, assuming at least 200 litres of fuel , and/or upwards to 300 litres, and taking this weight into consideration. It would be foolish to add more power if that would change the fuel stats, as this seems to come close to a very economic/ideal setup, verses higher speeds and less range. 30 knots cruising speed is a good clip for long distances, in my opinion. As always it's good to hear the feedback.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	humber.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	230  
Old 02 December 2001, 10:11   #9

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
I must agree that sounds like fantastic fuel consumption at 30 knots. But don't forget that this, if I am correct is an extreemly efficent unit, it is the same izuzu that they use in the Astra. Somenoe told me that they are running the same engine in Tohatsu 6m, it was on the water at the boat show, and are getting fantastic consumption figures.

Andy Clark did a good write up on the engine in RIB Mag.

I have seen the Humber hull, it looks v nice, and it sounds like a very nice set up. I do not think it would be underpowered!

Toby