Old 13 January 2019, 19:12   #1

Length: 5m +
A Frame installing

Hey there I am in the market to buy a second hand A Frame that needs a bit of weld and painting etc. It seems to have stainless steel base the length of the A Frame.

The previous owner of my boat did a hack job of deinstalling the last A Frame which was bolted through the Hull with nuts and washers on the lower side of the Hull and he left the bolts in place.

So plan is to remove these bolts and use filler to patch the holes.

The question is can I simply bolt the new A Frame in the same manner right through the Hull? (only I put the nuts on the upper side to make it smoother on the underside)
Old 15 January 2019, 22:13   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperance View Post
Hey there I am in the market to buy a second hand A Frame that needs a bit of weld and painting etc. It seems to have stainless steel base the length of the A Frame.

The previous owner of my boat did a hack job of deinstalling the last A Frame which was bolted through the Hull with nuts and washers on the lower side of the Hull and he left the bolts in place.

So plan is to remove these bolts and use filler to patch the holes.

The question is can I simply bolt the new A Frame in the same manner right through the Hull? (only I put the nuts on the upper side to make it smoother on the underside)
Yep...as long as you use the right bolts (some decent sized washers) and plenty of sikoflex or similar...the hull is good ..and strong you won't have any problems.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 06:16   #3

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Yep...as long as you use the right bolts (some decent sized washers) and plenty of sikoflex or similar...the hull is good ..and strong you won't have any problems.
Thanks for the reassurance. I will maybe install a steel plate on the lower side to seal it and secure it without washers. Have since bought the A Frame and am starting to clean it. There are actually two stern lugs as well (although one needs welded back on) so it should be fairly secure

Thanks
Old 16 January 2019, 08:16   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperance View Post
Thanks for the reassurance. I will maybe install a steel plate on the lower side to seal it and secure it without washers. Have since bought the A Frame and am starting to clean it. There are actually two stern lugs as well (although one needs welded back on) so it should be fairly secure

Thanks
Stainless Steel (smallish) plate is even better ....and the domed SS bolts with Allen key slot work well...you may also wish to put plastic covers over the nuts on the inside to tidy things up and avoid any sharp edges..happy Boating

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote