Old 26 September 2003, 11:02   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
A Frame

Can anyone recommend a place to purchase a small A Frame from.

It will probably be custom built as my boat is not exactly large.

I have seen these things on several of your boats and they not only look good they also seem to be a good place to hang various bits of kit, such as lifelines, flags, antenna etc.

Many Thanks in advance.

Nick R
Old 26 September 2003, 11:11   #2

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Seahorse V
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4
Engine: Mercury 50HP
They do an adjustable one at www.outhill.com. I got one for my 4m RIB and it certainly would have gone a little bit smaller if I had wanted it to. This adjusts in both width and height. If you go to their website and lookup product number AF1. It costs £220.
Old 26 September 2003, 11:44   #3

Slangley

That is the one that caught my eye. I was just seeing if any others were available.

With regards yours could you answer me a couple of questions.

a) Is it a single tube affair.

b) Will I be able to fit it to a horizontal surface. It looks like it needs a vertical surface to fit to.

c) would you be able to tell me the minimum dimensions it will go to. If not I will contact the manufacturer.

d) As it appears to be a sliding tube within tube affair how resistant are the joins to water/moisture incursion.

e) Any chance you could send me a picture of your RIB/RIG both close up of the A Frame and one of the whole boat.

Phew.

Seems like a lot to ask but any info would be appreciated.

Many Thanks Nick R
Old 26 September 2003, 12:30   #4

I dont actually have the A frame anymore. It was a good A frame and I wish I still had it. A welder friend of mine designed me an A frame which at the time seemed a good idea. I sold the other one and put this one on because it had all the brackets made for all the things I wanted and was moulded for the exact contours I needed. The problems is, now I have the new A frame I cannot easily use my auxilary engine anymore because it is a lot bigger. I didn't think about this at the time.

The Outhill A frame was quite good. It was a single tube A frame. The joints where it adjusts I cannot actually say about because once it was on and adjusted I never had to change from the time it was on there.

It bolts onto the transom. I am not sure what you mean about horizontal and vertical surface. Do you have a rough diagram. Basically, it has a couple of bolts either side that fit near the top of the transom facing downwards.

It did adjust very small. Not sure of the exact dimensions but it did go a lot smaller than what I needed.
Old 26 September 2003, 16:10   #5

A Frame

Slangley

Good point about the Engine.

I have manual tilt on mine which requires me to lean over the back to move it up and down. On reflection I think this would be impossible with an A Frame in the way.

I suppose I'll just have to get an antenna to hang my Burgee off now. (When I get it).
Old 26 September 2003, 18:19   #6

With the A Frame on I was still able to lift the main engine up ( I have manual tilt/trim as well ). The problem was with my auxillary engine. Since there is limited space I can just about fit an auxillary engine on the transom but with the new A Frame You cannot turn it very far either way. With the Outhill A Frame, it is extended in the middle which gave me a bit more side space to turn the auxillary engine. When I had my A Frame made I had it made straight ( Big Mistake ).
Old 26 September 2003, 20:01   #7

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
A Frame

Biggles

Have a word with Steve or Paul at Fineway Leisure in Norfolk. They're an Avon Premier rib dealer of some reputation and get any stainless steel A frames, grab rails etc. made up locally and to your exact specification. They're also cheaper than Outhill because I enquired about a back rest for my Searider seat which costs £100 as opposed to Outhill's price of £133. They're currently working on a lead time of about 2 weeks and their tel. no. is 01603 782309.

ps. they also do double tube A-frames.