Old 19 July 2004, 12:37   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
A Fine Fellow Indeed

Last week I competed at the Cork Week regatta in Cork Harbour , Co. Cork, Ireland. This is a huge yacht racing event (500+ yachts) and makes Cowes Week look titchy.

To support the racing yachts and the race officers there was a fleet of RIBs of all sizes in action, with the one most worthy of mention being that of Ribnet member, Jonathan Mathers. Knowing that I was going to Cork I put out a thread asking members to contact me so that we could perhaps meet at the event: Jonathan did just that.

Last Wednesday he collected me in his Ribcraft and very kindly took three of us for a fabulous tour of Cork harbour going several miles up river to the City of Cork itself. He let me drive back before stopping at Cobh (formerly Queenstown - the receiving port for the Lusitania dead and the last stop for the Titanic) for a quick beer.

Jonathan could not have made us feel more welcome and my thanks go out to him for a superb experince. If your heading to the south of Irealnd look him up: A FINE FELLOW INDEED
Old 19 July 2004, 13:49   #2

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by taitharris
Last week I competed at the Cork Week regatta in Cork Harbour , Co. Cork, Ireland. This is a huge yacht racing event (500+ yachts) and makes Cowes Week look titchy.
Erm Cowes is about twice as big with nearly 1000 boats entered already, not to say that one is better than the other.
Old 19 July 2004, 16:48   #3

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
Stephen-RIB from Chichester,

Beginning any response in the manner in which you responded is patronising and not worthy of this forum.

My post was intended to pat a fine fellow on the back for treating a visitor well. It was not written to elicit responses of a 'mine is bigger than yours' nature and it certainly did not warrant a curmudgeonly response commencing with a word and sentiment such as "ERM".

I know that Cowes has more boats entered, but, unlike Cork, a large number of those are local ODs such as the Victory, X Boat, Redwing and Daring sailed by small crews. It follows, therefore, that whilst there are many more boats at Cowes, the actual numbers of competitors per boat is much higher at Cork. I have no idea how many people actually take to the water at each event each day and, frankly, it is of little relevance, other than to one as obviously parochial as you. I have competed at both events for many seasons now and both are excellent in their own way.

taitharris.

p.s I take it that you have been to Cork Week. After all, you are obviously an authority on the subject.
Old 19 July 2004, 18:25   #4

Town: Chichester
Very sorry you have taken my post this way. I was not trying to be a parochial, I was simply pointing out that Cowes Week is about twice the size of Cork and I think that I did mention that I was not comparing the two as you clearly were.

The idea of forums is that people are freely able to discuss matters of interest, I think the fact that I was simply pointing out a mistake makes it a worthwhile post if anyone actually cares.

Unfortunately I have not done Cork all though it is high time I did, it just happens to fall in my busiest month at work. As far as being an authority on the subject I certainly was not throwing my weight about, but since you mentioned it, I am a part-time yachting journalist and have attended Cowes Week for over 10 years.

Anyway, I am glad you had a good week and I am sorry if you found my post wrong for this forum.

Cheers

Stephen
Old 19 July 2004, 20:07   #5

Town: Co. Clare
Make: Redbay
Engine: Inboard diesel Yamah
Fine Fellows all

Well I, for one, am delighted to hear what a sound Ribnet member is Jonathan.
I was also interested to hear of the comparative sizes of the Cork and Cowes regattas. Thanks to Stephen for helping to clarify a point about which I had my suspicions.

Peter
Old 20 July 2004, 00:58   #6

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
taitharris,

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at Cork, unfortunately my boat was full everyday (demanding relatives, friends and photographers!!). What did you think of Cork? The River Lee needs a clean, I know!! we're workin on that one.

I think if you ask anybody who's attended any Cork Week what makes it so successful, it won't be the sailing, the size of the event or the boats. What makes it a success is the friendly atmosphere and attitude of both the locals and the sailors!! It can't be put into words, but go and you'll know all about it. I don't know the first thing about sailing, was only there for the RIBS, the drink and the CRAIC!!

Jonathan, nice one!!
Old 20 July 2004, 08:09   #7

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Well I have to attend both events, we sponsor both.

This is my first time at Cork Week and it is firmly at the top of my list.
I had a great time there.
The people were friendly and looked after me.
It may not have as many boats as Cowes but in my book is a great place to spend a week.

Blatting across Cork harbour at 2 in the morning was fantastic.

If your going out there I can highly recomend the Wateredge Hotel on Cobh.
Even has a floating jetty on the next dorr pub.
Sitting having brekfast over looking the harbour was lovely.

Sorry I did not get to meet many from here, they kept me busy.

Regards
Old 20 July 2004, 14:31   #8

Town: Poole
taitharris

First off I'm glad you had a good time.

But I find your first quoting the number of boats attending an event and then say "I have no idea how many people actually take to the water at each event each day and, frankly, it is of little relevance, other than to one as obviously parochial as you."

1) You do know how many people take to the water because you quote it and must have some knowledge of Cowes to express the opinion that Cork has more.

2) Then you say "its of little relevance"; make your mind up.

3) Stephen-RIB doesn't need to be an authority on how many boats attend Cork week as you tell us. I too am now an authority on how many boats attend Cowes and Cork. One is twice as big as the other, which of course doesn't mean its twice as good.

From what I can see Stephen-RIB was expressing a fact whereas you launch into a personal attack with comments such as "patronising" & "curmudgeonly".

Worthy of this forum has nothing to do with me or you but only one person here has expressed personal comments that may be considered "unworthy"

Mark