Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 31 December 2018, 21:07   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
A few fish and sharks in the chop

Headed out to my usual spot among the kings again today, water had dropped 2'c and was dirty brown. The kings were still there though but a little slower taking the lure, once hooked big bronze whalers are all over them, remarkably though none were lost to the sharks even though we were still using light snapper gear. We see many bronze whalers in this area both from the boat and while in the water but one of today's sharks would of had to of been close to maximum sized. Having such a big shark desperately thrashing around after a king I was trying to net was truly one of my highlights for quite sometime. My daughter was keen to hop in even though water vis was down to 2m or less, she got the red lighter from me.

Decided to head out wide in search of blue water in the hope of finding dolphin fish. Without any sign of fads, floats or birds we gave this a miss and headed back to the kings after an hour. Many of the kings were charterboat legal ( broken necks and stretched tails ) but for us unless they reach 67cm without any stretching they go back.

Its funny how we were getting double hookups yet boats staying out of the wash got none. When the weather flattens enough for other boats to get where we fish the kings move away, they just hold there when the water is churned and full of suds. A friend on a jetski took a couple of shots of us fishing the washing machine today, which by the way was far calmer than the last couple of trips.

Fishing these close washes can be risky and I dint recommend people do it unless they know such spots very well. Last time we were there we had one wave break over the back, one over the front and one broke into us side on half filling us each time, today none broke over us ( as said today was calm in comparison).

We had planned on jumping in today to film kings and sharks, hopefully they stay when the water clears again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	128100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	128101  
Old 01 January 2019, 11:14   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Happy New Year

Fishing in that chop looks particularly hazardous! What do you do, keep the bow to the incoming breakers and in gear while someone fishes? I'd be a nervous wreck.
Old 01 January 2019, 11:51   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'd be a nervous wreck.
Nervous Wreck Fishing...
Old 01 January 2019, 16:18   #4

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Mmmm.....no thanks. Not even if I was hungry n' broke !
Old 02 January 2019, 00:48   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Happy New Year

Fishing in that chop looks particularly hazardous! What do you do, keep the bow to the incoming breakers and in gear while someone fishes? I'd be a nervous wreck.
I just try not to take the big sets side on, otherwise bow or stern not the waves. With the stern into them I tend to use a fair amount of trim to lift the stern, helps prevent digging into the face of swell. We fish that stop in far worse conditions when no other boats get out there, love pushing the little boat in tough conditions especially far offshore in open water.