Old 22 February 2018, 17:55   #1

Length: 6m +
6m Cobra v 6m Ribeye

Hi all,
Some feed back would be much appreciated, what would be the better rib, Cobra 6m with a 150 verado or Ribeye 6m with a Yamaha 100
Many Thanks Tony
Old 22 February 2018, 18:20   #2

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
For my money I suspect you will get more people in favour of the Cobra, but price might also be quite a bit different between those two boats.

It would help people give you a bit more useful advice if you can tell us a little more about what you (or whoever) plans to do with the boat, where it will be operated, etc
Old 22 February 2018, 18:28   #3

Hi Andy, will be using the boat in the Solent and on the odd days when it’s flat will be wakeboarding
The Ribs are similarly priced but the Ribeye is 2 years newer
Cobra has 400 hours and the Ribeye has 220 hours
Cheers Tony
Old 22 February 2018, 19:02   #4

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
Can only speak of the cobra, is it a 6.6, if so it is a lot larger and more spacious as it’s very close to 7m, they are very solid and the service from cobra is excellent. I think an A6 ribeye is 6m long and much narrower than the other. The cobra holds 100 litres more fuel and is a cat b craft.
Both hours are low if the engines are fully serviced.
Old 22 February 2018, 19:13   #5

Hi Chaliee,
The Cobra is 6m and has a full service history (2006 Rib)
Cheers Tony
Old 22 February 2018, 19:17   #6

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
What year is it from? Maybe it’s a Picton Cobra 6, if so I guess it’s quite old?
Old 23 February 2018, 09:16   #7

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Owning a 6m ribeye with the 100 yam, I can only say the engine although being faultless the whole 10 years of owning, does not set your adrenaline pumping. It's fantastic on the wallet and been a joy to service and maintain, but perhaps if the ribeye had a 150, things would be a bit more exciting.

I can only guess the 150 verado would be a a lot more fun.

I wouldn't want to change the ribeye, but I would have liked a bigger engine, but limited by transom build. Perhaps my answer would have been to have the lighter verado.

I like yourself, use the boat to go over to the Isle of Wight , skiing, beach BBq's etc,. then you would appreciate the low running costs of the 100 yam.
Old 23 February 2018, 11:42   #8

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
Can't comment on the Cobra, but we are extremely happy with our Ribeye A600 but it does have a Yamaha F150 pushing it along. I'd think the 100 would be a bit gutless but quite economical though. I have noticed that the 115 seems to be quite popular on A600's.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:25   #9

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I have a 2006 6m Cobra from new and very pleased with it. That was the last year they were built by Dave Picton in Bridgend and had a heavy lay up and good build quality. The worst thing was the electrical installation so worth checking - I chose to do my own (after having a previous 5.5m) If it is the nautilus configuration with rear bench seat, check under for water. A 150 hp is a good combination,,,, usual check for hours and service history of course 👍
Old 24 February 2018, 07:23   #10

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have a 2006 6m Cobra from new and very pleased with it. That was the last year they were built by Dave Picton in Bridgend and had a heavy lay up and good build quality. The worst thing was the electrical installation so worth checking - I chose to do my own (after having a previous 5.5m) If it is the nautilus configuration with rear bench seat, check under for water. A 150 hp is a good combination,,,, usual check for hours and service history of course 👍
I have a 2004/5 dave picton built 7.5m cobra and am very happy with it, seems to handle the rough stuff well and very comfortable with lots of locker space for kit and the bow seat arrangement is great for kicking back in the sun and laying out reading a good book. Similar to Jeff I also re-wired most of it when I upgraded and added some components, added a negative bus bar and a fused positive electical box. I also swopped out as many self tappers as I could with nut and bolts etc from around locker fronts etc and front bow cushion seats as far too much use of these which tend to catch on hands or rip the boat cover when in storage. Also fitted dual batteries and a battery charging cluster thing and switches. 200hp 2 stroke, good performance but tad thirsty.
Old 26 February 2018, 19:43   #11

Town: mudeford
Boat name: rib volt lution
Make: cobra ribs
Engine: Torqeedo db 80rxl
Tony, i own a cobra 2004 6m. If i bought another at this age id have a good prood around to see if it had absorbed excess water. My rib past owner did not look after it, took alot of work to right his/her low maintenance approach.
Knowing both companies though i dont think you can go wrong with either. Happy spending!
Old 27 February 2018, 20:13   #12

Many thanks for all your replies

Tags
rib