Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 July 2004, 13:34   #41

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
And so fellow readers, after five pages of Ribnet debate stretching back over a week you are probably wondering how this mammoth saga ended ?

well not a single bid.

On to the next topic then,

Pete
Old 09 July 2004, 13:42   #42

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Yes, I agree with you all, but I would expect the courtesy of an enquiry before the discussion.

We must have different moral standards.

Jono, I'll share yer taxi. Now, where was it I wanted to go?
Old 17 September 2004, 15:35   #43

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Just thought I'd bring this gem up again as I bumped into a man who bought a nice new Humber with yellow tubes that faded in no time flat. The tube material supplier agreed the tubes were faulty and replaced them under warranty. The old, faded tubes, were then fitted to a new hull and sold off...
Old 17 September 2004, 19:50   #44

Town: Poole
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Mariner Optimax
Guys, guys, guys....

Right then,

May be able to shed some light here...
When I was talking to Humber in January of this year about what they had in stock, a white hulled Ocean Pro with yellow tubes grabbed my attention....
When I asked for more details they explained that the hull was new but the tubes were second hand and quite faded.
Infact I just dug the second hand Humber boat list out and here it is...

QUOTE:
"OCEAN PRO 6.3m Yellow tubes (used)/White hull. Dual console/steering (console can be exchanged upon request) RRP £8914.00 Discounted price £6525.00 including vat"

So.... Theyve moulded a new hull and fitted some second hand tubes and a new elephant trunk (which is why the elephant trunk looks like it hasn't faded.)

The picture in the January list I have is only black and white but the whole setup looks identical from what I can see including the console and badging but obviously excluding engine / trailer.

Having towed my 6.3 Ocean Pro (minus engine) back from Hull to Poole on a twin axle braked trailer I would suggest that the trailer shown would be bloomin dangerous as well as illegal!

Hope this helps!

Nick
Old 17 September 2004, 20:29   #45

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Length: 5m +
Engine: I/B 3L
There is nothing to stop people making the seller an offer after the auction has ended.

If he's had no bids at all he may be open to silly offers?

Just wish I had the space to park one !!
Old 18 September 2004, 10:30   #46

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
I d be surprised if the engine would clear the road, even when lifted... expensive engine to ding in a pothole...

Not had any experience of a boat this size but can carry 18 people? That's be cosy I would have thought... or just down right dangerous!

SG
Old 18 September 2004, 17:57   #47

Town: Fareham
Looks to be a genuine bargain RIB for someone that can get the price down a little more. Mabe get the cost of a new braked roller trailer knocked off!

Instrument muli-funtion for the Yam is just behind the wheel next to the throttle and those tubes do look terrible (yellow not my thing anyway) but they look in good nick.

So for 8K + Trailer + electrics and extra seating ect, it's not a bad buy, is it? Assuming you could secure a sale for 8K.

What would you guys pay for the same set up with new tubes in your colour? Subtract the price you pay for this boat and subtract all the extras you would need to buy. What savings would you make (if any)?

Andy
Old 18 September 2004, 20:22   #48

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
The truth

Having read the above posts and having the benefit of Andrew and Frank down with us for a few days I asked Andrew about this case. So for all here it is.

A 6m was supplied previous to a customer and he returned under warranty with the complaint that his tubes had discoloured.

There was a thorough examination and a thorough investigation by the hypalon suppliers.

It was found that there was not a batch problem (other vsls of the same batch had no probs), that it was peculiar to this boat and in particular to specific areas. The conclusion was that the customer had cleaned with a non suitable product that had caused discolouration but not deformity.

The hypalon supplier agreed as a gesture of goodwill that they would supply material free of charge. Humber, again as a gesture, agreed that they would replace the tubes. Both parties concluded that the damage was aesthetic and that the normal 5 year fabric warranty could stand.

On that basis the customer had a new set of tubes and the old tubes were fitted to a new vessel. The boat was then offered at a discount price with noted defect and the buyer ( who regularily buys these boats, fits an engine and sells on e-bay) was aware of the discolouration problem and purchased at an according discount.

To the point of seller there was nothing underhand. Indeed Humber went past their obligations of the first customer to keep the status quo. The final seller was aware of the age of tube and hull and as such was his responsibility to sell accordingly.

Unfortunately, and this is so common, it is the assumption that if a supplier offers a replacement then there must have been a product failure. Truth be known then this is not always the case. If the customer is pleasant and genuine then often a supplier will help as they will see it easier and cheaper than aggravation and bad press. Naturaly the customer who howls from day 1 will not be so favoured !!

Humber and Quinquari have spent days discussing product control and quality. With Humber having produced over 10,000 vessels there will always be a few problems and unfortunately those are the only ones we here of. After all if all of those owners posted on this site as being happy then the forum would go into overdrive.

There are many exciting developments planned which will be up to Humber to announce but for the sake of quality control and indeed transparency these will include application of ISO 9001.

Finally on a more interesting note there was a thread recently about a Humber "submarine" ( someone took a bad wave). Well for those interested Frank did develop a submersible rib for the special forces some years ago and it worked to a depth of 10m !!

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 18 September 2004, 20:34   #49

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
So, was it a case of, "Yer only had to ask." in the first place?

Old 18 September 2004, 20:45   #50

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
So, was it a case of, "Yer only had to ask." in the first place?

Oh yes, be candid with the question and in return a candid reply. No question and then it will be left to the wolves but I guess that is what makes things interesting sometimes !!

Thanks for your point JW

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 18 September 2004, 20:52   #51

Town: Fareham
Still a bargain for someone wanting a reliable work boat.

Andy
Old 19 September 2004, 09:47   #52

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
I read recently in a mag that its possible to buy special paint specifically for Hypalon Ribs. Might be a half way house solution to the faded tubes/expensive (and uneccessary) retube... ??