Old 04 January 2010, 18:22   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
530 Rib Rigging Cost

Hi Ribbers,

Was wondering what would be an estimated hand labor cost to install ; central console with 4 instruments + mechanical 13" steering system (drill 5 holes) + driver seat + engine control box + engine cables + Yam 60 HP on a 530 Rib ?

Happy Boating
Old 04 January 2010, 23:04   #2
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
If it helps I paid £500 to install a 135 Verado with hydraulic steering.

Obviously I bought the engine at the same time but the fella didn't do me too many favours on the cost so the install price was probably pretty fair.

Chris
Old 05 January 2010, 00:21   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
If it helps I paid £500 to install a 135 Verado with hydraulic steering.

Obviously I bought the engine at the same time but the fella didn't do me too many favours on the cost so the install price was probably pretty fair.

Chris
Chris - did that include parts (battery, cables, bolts etc)? if its 'just' mounting and hooking up the engine it shouldn't take that long...

Loco - I would have thought for what you are describing it is probably a full day's work for someone reasonably competent? Obviously your local labour rates will be different to ours. I guess it also depends on whether you itemise the 'sundries' like sikaflex, crimp connectors and stainless screws etc separately.
Old 05 January 2010, 06:22   #4

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I paid £500 to install a 135 Verado with hydraulic steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Chris - did that include parts (battery, cables, bolts etc)?
Battery and steering is supplied standard with a Verado

Quote:
if its 'just' mounting and hooking up the engine it shouldn't take that long...
I would guess you have not fitted many Verado's then Polwart. They can be fun at times
Old 05 January 2010, 07:16   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think it was just under £500 for my 50 Yam, seat, console , big steelwork & Aframe & screen frame etc to be fitted to my avon about 3 years ago - that was not buying the big bits, but did include all the 'little' bits - SS bolts, sealant, trunking, battery box ,lights , instruments etc etc. All under deck - wiring up everything on the boat and setting up the trailer.
Old 05 January 2010, 07:32   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
it should cost about 850 for a boat that size, we wouldn't supply the big bit as already said, but it should be put together using A4 nuts, bolts and screws, bolted where you can get at, screwed where you can't, cables all fixed down properly so they don.t shake loose, proper sealer for everything ie sikaflex for pods, engine bolts, aframe etc, silicone for clocks and fillets etc (silicone doesn't discolour), set the boat up properly on the trailer and sea trail then hand over
Old 05 January 2010, 09:48   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
It took two people half a day to fit my Yam 55hp, that was mounting the engine, drilling and sealing the mount holes, fitting new cables, and drilling the console for control switches.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:01   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
It took two people half a day to fit my Yam 55hp, that was mounting the engine, drilling and sealing the mount holes, fitting new cables, and drilling the console for control switches.
thats about right add to that the fitting of pods, console, steering, seat backs, upholestry, navs, a frame, when i worked at ribtec a basic 6m with frame, jockey console treadmaster, etc would take me 30hrs on my own, but when we worked as a team we could build and did do a camel trophy boat complete in a day
Old 05 January 2010, 11:10   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
Battery and steering is supplied standard with a Verado

I would guess you have not fitted many Verado's then Polwart. They can be fun at times
You would be correct. Sorry for the thread drift - but why is a verado any different from other engines in terms of how long it takes to fit it to the transom?
Old 05 January 2010, 11:16   #10

Obviously alot of time can be saved by having the right tools. When doing the steering on my mates boat I thought it would have been the same size hole cutter, it wasn't!
Old 05 January 2010, 17:48   #11

Thanks all for the imput, seems it will be quite a full day at slow pace, so "it should be put together using A4 nuts, bolts and screws, bolted where you can get at, screwed where you can't".

How many mm (diameter) and long are A4 (nuts, bolts & screws) Must you use plain washers on central console, driver seat lower borders to secure to deck, must silika gel be placed between lower console, seat borders and deck. Sorry to ask these silly issues, no experience whatsoever on equipped ribs. We learn fast...

Happy Ribbing
Old 05 January 2010, 18:06   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Thanks all for the imput, seems it will be quite a full day at slow pace, so "it should be put together using A4 nuts, bolts and screws, bolted where you can get at, screwed where you can't".

How many mm (diameter) and long are A4 (nuts, bolts & screws) Must you use plain washers on central console, driver seat lower borders to secure to deck, must silika gel be placed between lower console, seat borders and deck. Sorry to ask these silly issues, no experience whatsoever on equipped ribs. We learn fast...

Happy Ribbing
Loco - A4 refers to the type of steel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainle...tainless_steel) - marine grade stainless. The length of self tapping screws will depend on the deck construction - there have been some helpful discussions in the past which you'll find with the search (as I recall JWalker had some particularly useful advice for fitting self tapping screws).

A proper sikaflex adhesive must be used in addition to the screws to properly bond it to the deck. Otherwise bad things happen going round corners: http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Abersoch%20RIB.pdf

Just an observation:- as I understand it you are supplying someone with a rib that you are importing and rigging. Firstly if I would expect the manufacturer to supply instructions / advice on rigging their boat and fitting the console. Secondly if I were the customer I would expect that I am paying you for your skills and experience not for you to be learning on my boat using info you find on the internet. I realise everyone has to learn to do this - but working blind without instruction from the manufacturer or significant experience is potentially a recipe for disaster (broken boats, dissatisfied customer and even injury are all possibilities). Its not rocket science - but it is possible to f**k it up.
Old 05 January 2010, 18:24   #13

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
You would be correct. Sorry for the thread drift - but why is a verado any different from other engines in terms of how long it takes to fit it to the transom?
A Verado is driven by wire so lots of cables can be fun to loose in some consoles, it is supplied with top mounts only (I may be corrected on this) and you will need to make a bracket to fit to a jockey console. It is also a tall engine and as a repower, you can take an old engine off, fit a verado and find it won't go under the a-frame as I think CJL found.

It's a good engine and we would recommend one but don't get fitting a Verado for the same price as you would fit a yam 90. 2 stroke
Old 05 January 2010, 19:54   #14

Quote:

Just an observation:- as I understand it you are supplying someone with a rib that you are importing and rigging. Firstly if I would expect the manufacturer to supply instructions / advice on rigging their boat and fitting the console. Secondly if I were the customer I would expect that I am paying you for your skills and experience not for you to be learning on my boat using info you find on the internet. I realise everyone has to learn to do this - but working blind without instruction from the manufacturer or significant experience is potentially a recipe for disaster (broken boats, dissatisfied customer and even injury are all possibilities). Its not rocket science - but it is possible to f**k it up.
Glad its not just me that was thinking this. First wave and the console comes off!
Old 05 January 2010, 21:43   #15

The rib is at customs, in 2 more days will be out, has attached factory literature about rigging, just wanted to be a pace ahead technically speaking before the rib is at the shop.

The rib was not factory rigged because the Yam engine has 13" cables (control box) and center console & driver seat will be installed accordingly to match 13" mechanical steering cable. Hope all (3) 13" cables match, that's another issue. Will let you know what happened, thanks all.

Happy Ribbing
Old 05 January 2010, 21:48   #16

Quote:
The rib was not factory rigged because the Yam engine has 13" cables (control box) and center console & driver seat will be installed accordingly to match 13" mechanical steering cable. Hope all (3) 13" cables match, that's another issue. Will let you know what happened, thanks all.

Happy Ribbing
As has already been said the console needs to be placed so the boat is balanced not because of the length of the cables.

Why not let the manufacturer fit the console then you fit the correct length cables.
Old 05 January 2010, 22:21   #17

Quote:
As has already been said the console needs to be placed so the boat is balanced not because of the length of the cables.

Why not let the manufacturer fit the console then you fit the correct length cables.
The factory recommended to install 13" steering cables for correct boat balance, it's very difficult to buy cables down here as most used sizes cables are not available, must be imported from USA and that takes time, it's mission impossible to find them during summer which has already started, all stores stock is out, one more month to stock them.

Happy Ribbing
Old 05 January 2010, 22:39   #18

Quote:
The factory recommended to install 13" steering cables for correct boat balance
Quote:

Happy Ribbing
So the factory recommend 13' cables but won't fix the console down to suit?
Old 06 January 2010, 17:13   #19

Quote:
So the factory recommend 13' cables but won't fix the console down to suit?
Believe not, because the steering system and gauges were bought to Defender (USA) and not to manufacturer so to come factory pre rigged. Polwart, very Interesting the PDF article about loosing a center console by not being correctly fixed to hull, a vey important safe issue to bear this.

Happy Ribbing
Old 09 January 2010, 23:00   #20
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Cause when you fit a Verado they spend about an hour on the phone to Barrus with a laptop setting them up!! You can't fit them yourself at all.