Boat name: Charlotte
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
found this pic of the primer i used from east coast resin supplies

Just had a look at their website! thats really usful, the primer also looks like exactly what i need, can't wait to get on with it now
Old 04 July 2018, 18:55   #22

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Petrol 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldee007 View Post
Thanks for the great pics, my floor is pretty bad, was yours rotton or just the tank you had to do? what did you use to stick it back in? I think i'll have to take a bit more out than you have as the balsa has really absorbed the water. I'm glad im not the only one whos going through this process will post some pics when i start it over the winter.

Hi Paul, deck was in good order considering. Tank had split and I reckon it was badly fitted from factory. They had foamed it in and as the foam had gone off it had risen slightly. The actual deck wasn’t even touching the stringers and some of the bottom half of the deck had been planed out to ensure it would fit over the tank, leaving the rivets of the tank rubbing on the deck.

Really poor workmanship.

I dug out to the stringers, reglassed some of them and used 25mm marine ply, resined and glassed both sides. Resined the edges and used pu 18 and stainless screws back into stringers. Then reglassed, sanded back and flow coated.

Easy as pie.......NOT!!!!!

Hardest thing I have ever undertook, but rewarding. Take your time, learn as you go and don’t be afraid to ask questions on here....a real wealth of knowledge
Old 05 July 2018, 08:24   #23

Town: Lymington
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
Hi Paul, deck was in good order considering. Tank had split and I reckon it was badly fitted from factory. They had foamed it in and as the foam had gone off it had risen slightly. The actual deck wasn’t even touching the stringers and some of the bottom half of the deck had been planed out to ensure it would fit over the tank, leaving the rivets of the tank rubbing on the deck.

Really poor workmanship.

I dug out to the stringers, reglassed some of them and used 25mm marine ply, resined and glassed both sides. Resined the edges and used pu 18 and stainless screws back into stringers. Then reglassed, sanded back and flow coated.

Easy as pie.......NOT!!!!!

Hardest thing I have ever undertook, but rewarding. Take your time, learn as you go and don’t be afraid to ask questions on here....a real wealth of knowledge

After i started cutting holes in my deck, to find how bad the water damage was it quickly became apparent that the deck wasn't particularly strong or well constructed. Balsa certainly isn't a good long term core material especially when the previous owner had popped a few extras on the deck without sealing them properly, also where the jockey seats were fitted it was really wet.

25mm ply, that's pretty thick! the whole deck construction on my boat is only about 20mm thick i reckon.

Thanks for the encouragement, ribnet has been so helpful already, had some great advice from wellhouse, a fountain of knowledge on ribeye's.
Can't wait to get it done and on the water for next season.
Old 05 July 2018, 18:01   #24

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Petrol 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldee007 View Post
After i started cutting holes in my deck, to find how bad the water damage was it quickly became apparent that the deck wasn't particularly strong or well constructed. Balsa certainly isn't a good long term core material especially when the previous owner had popped a few extras on the deck without sealing them properly, also where the jockey seats were fitted it was really wet.

25mm ply, that's pretty thick! the whole deck construction on my boat is only about 20mm thick i reckon.

Thanks for the encouragement, ribnet has been so helpful already, had some great advice from wellhouse, a fountain of knowledge on ribeye's.
Can't wait to get it done and on the water for next season.
Wow that’s bad and I know what you mean about buying a boat that other people had tried to do work on, but poorly executed. 25mm marine ply was all they had and to be fair, fitted quite well, once faired back and glassed.

Getting to the end of it now, just laying interdeck to give my my non slip tread and then I can start relaying all the fuel lines and wiring. Completely rewired the whole boat, so hopefully good as new, or as good as.

Just the tubes to replace now and she’s good to go.

Good luck and take loads of pics of your journey, you’ll look back on this exercise on day and marvel how you got through it all. Plus the guys and girls here love a few pics.😄😄😄
Old 06 July 2018, 14:39   #25

Town: Lymington
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
Wow that’s bad and I know what you mean about buying a boat that other people had tried to do work on, but poorly executed. 25mm marine ply was all they had and to be fair, fitted quite well, once faired back and glassed.

Getting to the end of it now, just laying interdeck to give my my non slip tread and then I can start relaying all the fuel lines and wiring. Completely rewired the whole boat, so hopefully good as new, or as good as.

Just the tubes to replace now and she’s good to go.

Good luck and take loads of pics of your journey, you’ll look back on this exercise on day and marvel how you got through it all. Plus the guys and girls here love a few pics.😄😄😄

Many thanks, certinaly got some inspiration now! good luck with yours, would love to see more pics when you get round to it.