Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
303 protectant

After trying various treatments for Hypalon tubes over the years I think I've finally found "the one".....303 protectant. It's not new, been around for yonks & has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd add my 2 penneth.
Previously I've tried, in no particular order:-

Armorall:- not bad, easy to apply, looks good as soon as you apply it. Slippery as a bag o' frogs when it's wet & doesn't last.

3M vinyl & rubber conditioner:- expensive, needs some elbow grease, reasonably long lasting.

Ribstore Hypatec:- Absolute nightmare streaky, dull, looks awful, lasts for ages

303 Protectant:- looks similar to Armorall, but it's not slippery when wet, even - non patchy finish, doddle to apply-spray on-wipe off. Still looks good after a month.

The various treatments were used on grey & black tubes. I've only used the 303 on the new boat which has black tubes & I'm very happy with the result. Hopefully it'll help stop mackerel blood & crap sticking to the tubes.

I bought the 303 off amazon, BEWARE. I ordered a 473ml/16oz bottle & when it arrived it was the smaller 10oz bottle (cheeky barstewards) I contacted them & got a refund for the difference. I'm trying to source it in bulk now, I'm sure that buying the trigger bottles is an expensive way to buy it. Looking for a 5l can, anybody?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 08:15   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Oddly, I concur with some of your results.

I tended to use Polymarine Protectant on the VM and 303 on the SR. Kinda swapped this year. I find that the 303 gives the best results when starting with squeaky clean tubes. It gives a great result on the VM, SR looks patchy with it. Maybe due to the age and condition of the SR tubes.
The Polym gives a better result on the SR.

I do find the 303 hellish slippy though, as did the BRP tech.
Old 16 September 2015, 08:47   #3

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
I have used 303 for about 5 years now on three different boats. Good stuff, easy to apply, never found it slippery once it has fully soaked in after about 24 hours.

Only negatives I can find are:

Not easy to source locally have to order from the internet
Comes in small trigger operated bottles
Not cheap (what is, where boats are concerned)
The trigger sprays make your fingers ache after half a boat

If anyone can suggest a source for a 5 Lt can which could be decanted into a pressurised sprayer let me know.

Andy
Old 16 September 2015, 09:02   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've ordered some "303" which should be here today,and I'm looking forward to compareing it.
I've tried all the others mentioned with nothing really hitting the mark on the Black tubes I have.
Just Last night I tried something recommend by my Valleter and I must say it worked a treat!
It's Autoglym Vynal & Rubber careI put it on in the Barn under artificial light and will let you know how it looks in natural light later....really easy to apply and buff and really brought em up well, goes a long way,and doesn't seem too slippy,at least when dry.
So there's another to try!
Time will tell but looks good!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 09:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
..doesn't seem too slippy,at least when dry.
303 is like greased snake sh1t when poncing about on tubes with wet bare feet, which is my default setting being a fair/hot weather only rib user.
Old 16 September 2015, 09:13   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
303 is like greased snake sh1t when poncing about on tubes with wet bare feet, which is my default setting being a fair/hot weather only rib user.
Did you wipe it off & buff as per the instructions? I've not found it particularly slippery, certainly not as bad as Armorall
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 16 September 2015, 09:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Did you wipe it off & buff as per the instructions? I've not found it particularly slippery, certainly not as bad as Armorall
Nah, I only ever RTFM (refer to f'ing manual) after all else has failed.

Spray on, rub it around and in with an old T shirt. Is that correct?
Old 16 September 2015, 09:38   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Nah, I only ever RTFM (refer to f'ing manual) after all else has failed.

Spray on, rub it around and in with an old T shirt. Is that correct?
Close. IF you RTFM, it does say that 303 is non-drying in air. Spray it on, wipe it off & then buff with a dry cloth. I found that by the time I'd got half way around the boat, the cloth I was using to wipe off, was saturated & I didn't need to spray on as much. Just wipe the tubes over with the wet cloth & buff with the dry cloth. You should end up with a dry to the touch satin sheen on the tubes, not greasy or wet. I also did the console on the other boat & it brought the GRP up a treat.
Old 16 September 2015, 09:42   #9

I always give the upholstery a coat, I'll keep going on the GRP then. I can slip about like a fool on that as well then.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:16   #10

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
303 protectant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
After trying various treatments for Hypalon tubes over the years I think I've finally found "the one".....303 protectant. It's not new, been around for yonks & has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd add my 2 penneth.
Previously I've tried, in no particular order:-

Armorall:- not bad, easy to apply, looks good as soon as you apply it. Slippery as a bag o' frogs when it's wet & doesn't last.

3M vinyl & rubber conditioner:- expensive, needs some elbow grease, reasonably long lasting.

Ribstore Hypatec:- Absolute nightmare streaky, dull, looks awful, lasts for ages

303 Protectant:- looks similar to Armorall, but it's not slippery when wet, even - non patchy finish, doddle to apply-spray on-wipe off. Still looks good after a month.

The various treatments were used on grey & black tubes. I've only used the 303 on the new boat which has black tubes & I'm very happy with the result. Hopefully it'll help stop mackerel blood & crap sticking to the tubes.

I bought the 303 off amazon, BEWARE. I ordered a 473ml/16oz bottle & when it arrived it was the smaller 10oz bottle (cheeky barstewards) I contacted them & got a refund for the difference. I'm trying to source it in bulk now, I'm sure that buying the trigger bottles is an expensive way to buy it. Looking for a 5l can, anybody?

Been using 303 for a while now Dave it's great stuff Mick recommended it if you find it in bulk let me know 👍
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 11:03   #11

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
'bulk' ,,,,, 303 Aerospace Protectant 3.79L Spa Platic Leather Fabric Hot Tub Vinyl Cover Car

I found a number of Car valeting websites used to sell this in bulk - but it seems not many any longer. Always bought the '3.79l' size since the first spray bottle - 3.79 !!! B Yanks

I have used 303 for over 10 years and do find it good - definitely slippy if you dont wipe/buff off the excess

Jeff
Old 16 September 2015, 11:03   #12

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
'bulk' ,,,,, 303 Aerospace Protectant 3.79L Spa Platic Leather Fabric Hot Tub Vinyl Cover Car | eBay

I found a number of Car valeting websites used to sell this in bulk - but it seems not many any longer. Always bought the '3.79l' size since the first spray bottle - 3.79 !!! B Yanks

I have used 303 for over 10 years and do find it good - definitely slippy if you dont wipe/buff off the excess

Jeff
Old 16 September 2015, 13:12   #13

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
'bulk' ,,,,, 303 Aerospace Protectant 3.79L Spa Platic Leather Fabric Hot Tub Vinyl Cover Car | eBay

Jeff
You mean 1 gal?

It's good stuff. Non-silicone, non-petroleum, so it will not inhibit gluing and it won't destroy your existing adhesive.

Armorall = Silicone oil w/ petroleum additives... nasty stuff!
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 14:30   #14

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I just looked back I bought 1 gallon back in August 2004 and still using the same original order so it dose go a long way!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2015, 15:01   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
I just looked back I bought 1 gallon back in August 2004 and still using the same original order so it dose go a long way!

Or you've got a mucky boat😄

.....sh1t happens.......
Old 16 September 2015, 18:13   #16

Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
When I had my new black tubes 303 is the product that Chris at henshaws recommended to use ,,that says it all for me !!

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net