Old 04 April 2021, 18:25   #1

Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Mariner ob
2nd Engine

Hi,
I've got a RIB with a 60hp 2 stroke Mariner engine.

Should I get a 2nd engine as a backup?

Cheers
Old 04 April 2021, 18:58   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There is some polarised opinion on this topic.

I think it depends on where you do your boating. If you are in the Solent, it's probably overkill. If you are on the west coast of Scotland, it's probably prudent.
Old 04 April 2021, 20:57   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Second as in an aux/backup motor? Are you going out at night? Far from shore/safe haven? What other emergency gear do you carry? Can you store/fit an aux motor on board?
Old 04 April 2021, 21:30   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
There is some polarised opinion on this topic.

I think it depends on where you do your boating. If you are in the Solent, it's probably overkill. If you are on the west coast of Scotland, it's probably prudent.
I don't see why opinion is polarised. Either do it or don't.
Not too expensive if you don't want to Pan Pan on the Solent. Modest effort and maybe you'd also use the aux on a SIB.
Old 04 April 2021, 22:02   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I don't see why opinion is polarised. Either do it or don't.
Not too expensive if you don't want to Pan Pan on the Solent. Modest effort and maybe you'd also use the aux on a SIB.
You've obviously not read any of the for/against discussions in the past about aux engines then? Its worse than a hole drilling thread
Old 05 April 2021, 01:27   #6

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannoid View Post
Hi,

Cheers
Your boat manufacturer will provide the minimum size engine that you need to push your boat along and a lot of boaters will carry an aux. engine too small to be useful.

Do you need one? Only you would know.

For example I log into Sea Rescue when I leave the harbour with my destination and time of return, which means I obviously have a marine radio.

I also have a phone I can call should my radio or power source not work.

Should my phone be out of range I carry flares and a GPS EPIRB.

Why would I carry an aux. spare engine adding weight, fuel costs and space.
Old 05 April 2021, 05:50   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
Your boat manufacturer will provide the minimum size engine that you need to push your boat along and a lot of boaters will carry an aux. engine too small to be useful.

Do you need one? Only you would know.

For example I log into Sea Rescue when I leave the harbour with my destination and time of return, which means I obviously have a marine radio.

I also have a phone I can call should my radio or power source not work.

Should my phone be out of range I carry flares and a GPS EPIRB.

Why would I carry an aux. spare engine adding weight, fuel costs and space.
I agree with everything you have said but all these measures are to let someone know you are in trouble whereas an aux can help you get out of trouble.
Old 05 April 2021, 08:06   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You've obviously not read any of the for/against discussions in the past about aux engines then? Its worse than a hole drilling thread
Possibly neck and neck with these little gems...

The perfect anchor setup, my Searider and Land Rover thread, pyrotechnics v electronic flares, drysuit or wetsuit!

Back to the thread, and the original post, then if you have the space, then fit an auxilliary engine would be my advice. I boat on the west coast and north east coast of Scotland, so quiet in terms of commercial and recreational vessels compared to down south and resorting to a Pan Pan. Even modern well maintained, drive by wire, 4-stroke fuel injected engines can fail.
Old 05 April 2021, 08:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Second as in an aux/backup motor? Are you going out at night? Far from shore/safe haven? What other emergency gear do you carry? Can you store/fit an aux motor on board?

We're based in Devon. Family orientated use around the coast (Dawlish Teignmouth, Torbay possibly Salcoobe abr Dartmouth), doubt we'll ever be more than 10 miles from a harbour. We've got an anchor and radio.

There is a fitting for an aux motor, a lifting bracket. The boat used to have a 4hp, but the previous owner kept it
Old 05 April 2021, 08:44   #10

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Everything GuyC said is spot on.

The goal is to not have a single point of failure in anything "we" do. So the question shouldn't be "should I carry a 2nd engine", the question should be something more like "if I have engine failure, how will I ensure everyone remains safe".

If you can mitigate the risks of engine failure without carrying a 2nd engine, then great. How much mitigation you need depends on the type of boating you do.

It all sounds a bit H&S, but once you ignore the wombles and actually think about risk assessing what you do and how you mitigate those risks, the decisions needed are clearer.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/engine-...day-85774.html
Old 05 April 2021, 10:11   #11

Thanks

Sorry for starting a slightly controversial thread

Thank you for the replies, they have been useful in terms of thinking about risk mitigation.

Given where we will be boating, the conditions we'll be going out in and the access to other safety features I think I’ll forgo a 2nd engine currently.

I might live to question that but with an anchor, radio, mobile phone, general traffic, a harbour master and 3 lifeboat stations within 5nm I think the risks are mitigated.

If I choose to do longer passages or am likely to go out at night or in inclement weather I will look to get a 2nd engine

I am sure there will be those that disagree
Old 05 April 2021, 11:52   #12

RIBase
I'm not sure where you are but if it is the south coast I'd recommend joining Sea Start.
Old 05 April 2021, 12:26   #13

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I'm not sure where you are but if it is the south coast I'd recommend joining Sea Start.
Heresy!!! 🤣
Old 06 April 2021, 06:38   #14

Town: Chelmsford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannoid View Post
Hi,

Cheers
If you rib has a 60 on it is likely to be quite small. Finding space on a small rib to have an Aux permantly fitted is not easy. If not permantly fitted storeing one in the boat is not easy also. A 6hp 4 Stroke (much smaller wont be up to the job) weighs 26 - 30kg and is a difficult beast to store easily.
Old 06 April 2021, 07:16   #15

The OP noted he already has a bracket fitted.
You’re right about weight though and is one reason why I still use 2-stroke motors for portables
Old 06 April 2021, 10:17   #16

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
If you rib has a 60 on it is likely to be quite small. Finding space on a small rib to have an Aux permantly fitted is not easy. If not permantly fitted storeing one in the boat is not easy also. A 6hp 4 Stroke (much smaller wont be up to the job) weighs 26 - 30kg and is a difficult beast to store easily.
A Tohatsu/Mariner/Mercury 3.5 weighs only 18kg and can be uprated to 5hp with a carb change. Suits my boat/DF50 nicely especially since I changed the decals.

Bigger aux engines may be of limited benefit as they can never overcome the natural displacement speed.
Old 06 April 2021, 12:11   #17

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yam 150F
Like others have said there's both pros and cons to carrying an aux motor. In over 30 years of messing around in boats I've only needed to rely on the aux once in my last boat. The fuel pickup into the tank for the inboard engine failed, that boat was a hard boat with a 9.9 4 stroke aux on a 21ft boat. I also carried 20ltrs of fuel for the aux. When the main engine failed, I switched to the aux and returned to port under my own power. That was on the South coast of Cornwall and although I could have easily anchored whilst waiting for a tow (VHF, Phone, Flares all carried) it was satisfying to return under my own power and not have to have outside assistance.

On my current RIB with a modern, yearly serviced 150Hp 4stroke I don't routinely carry an aux due to space limitations, in my opinion if you carry an aux then you should also carry an independent fuel supply for it. If however I was going to venture to more remote locations, West Coast Scotland for example, then I have a 4Hp 2stroke that I can fit to my 585 RIB, it is slightly underpowered and wouldn't necessarily get me back to port but could get me out of immediate risk whilst waiting on rescue.

As others have said, it's horses for courses, whats right for one may not be right for another. Knowing guy's and girls who volunteer for the RNLI, then they are always prepared to put to sea to rescue someone. It is our responsibility as water users to do our best to not have to call on them and always put to sea in a well maintained craft carrying appropriate gear.
Old 06 April 2021, 12:20   #18

My hardboat with a 5hp motor running WOT gets about 4 knots. Which with a bit of current then knocks that down from "bloody slow" to "effing slow" SOG.

Only needed to use it once, but it did the job and got me home, slowly, without needing to call for outside assistance. The Southampton Harbour master came over to see if everything was OK and chuckled as he noted there's no lower speed limit.
Old 06 April 2021, 21:53   #19

Town: Bristol
Length: no boat
I'd always opt for an aux if you have to space.
I've needed to use one once and didn't have one.
I made the decision then that I wasn't going to be using the RNLI as a breakdown service and bought a brand new 2 stroke tohatsu.

I've not had to use it in anger yet, but I like the extra confidence it gives with all the other safety measures I've got.

As previously mentioned, it's great for putting on the back of a SIB and doing a bit of fishing off the beach.

Cost me about £700 and IMHO is worth the money.

Great to hear that people feel a bit of pride making their way back home under their own steam, rather than having to call for help.
Old 06 April 2021, 22:07   #20

This is just basic seamanship, IMVHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny white View Post
Great to hear that people feel a bit of pride making their way back home under their own steam, rather than having to call for help.