Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 March 2021, 00:44   #1

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
2006 Zodiac 420 Pro, too old?

Sold my Gemini 470 (now I miss it, but it had to go).

Seen a Zodiac Pro 420, has been garaged always and looks like new. Has a 60hp 4stk Yammy, done 60 hours.

My concern is PVC. They say 10 year life span. But ive seen some PVC boats do 30 before needing retubing.

This one has no leaks or patches and no signs of wear.

How much can you trust welded PVC on Zodiacs?

Im aware they are not a sharp entry and can slap a bit in really bad weather. But would be fine for the weather I go out in.
Old 08 March 2021, 07:59   #2

Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard
Your correct in what you say about ten year lifespan for Zodiac pro ribs. However they are very repairable .weakness is where the rope attaches to hull.I believe the glue breaks down with age and not as a direct result of heat or sunlight. Mine appeared mint before they failed.I think factory tubes are not that expensive for them .Can you factor in the removal and inspection of the tubes into the price,because you will not see evidence without removal.
Old 08 March 2021, 08:02   #3

Town: Ennis
Boat name: pac 22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard
https://www.inflatableboats.com/Zodi...-PVC-Z6857.htm
Old 08 March 2021, 08:40   #4

Yeah they kind of like NZs NAID boats, except they are a double skin tube, used for extreme situations around NZs southern ocean.

He is asking a little less than what a new hull will cost that is with the trailer, electronics, and 60hp 4 stroke Yammy donk, so considering it will probably get more use from the current tubes, it might not be too had a deal.
Old 08 March 2021, 22:03   #5

So its done 60 hours and has been garaged its whole life after being thoroughly cleaned after each use, and it shows, the tubes look brand new.

I know strongan is just marketing terms for PVC, but is there any benefit in the Zodiac Pro tubes over normal PVC?

Given the asking price is less than the hull normally is, it seems to be priced pretty well.
Old 09 March 2021, 13:58   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearRib View Post
So its done 60 hours and has been garaged its whole life after being thoroughly cleaned after each use, and it shows, the tubes look brand new.

I know strongan is just marketing terms for PVC, but is there any benefit in the Zodiac Pro tubes over normal PVC?

Given the asking price is less than the hull normally is, it seems to be priced pretty well.
Strongan is a specific PVC material made to a specific construction standard. They use the same European fabric manufacturer as everyone else, but Zodiac orders a custom version.

Basically, the base scrim is inspected and manufactured to a higher standard. It boosts the tensile strength, but most users are unlikely to notice.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2021, 16:37   #7

Town: Fresno
Boat name: Diablo Rojo
Make: Zodiac Pro II 550
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
I own a 1995 Zodiac Pro II 550. It has the original tubes. They are PVC. I am the 3rd owner of this boat. The tubes are in excellent condition. So, I say "Bullshit" to the 10 year life span of the tubes. It all depends on how well you take care of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200316_103452_001.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	136508  
Old 09 March 2021, 19:03   #8

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: N/a
Make: Avon sea rider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
I agree with Diablo.

If it still looks good and has been inside most of ita life I would say it probably perfectly safe.

Have far from shore do you plan on going?

Guys what's you opinions on the Avon sea rider 5.4 MOD Spec lifespan . Are the tubes hypolon or PVC?
Old 09 March 2021, 19:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloLoco View Post
So, I say "Bullshit" to the 10 year life span of the tubes. It all depends on how well you take care of them.
Yeah I tend to agree after being around RIBs for a long time now. Never owned PVC.

Does Zodiac do anything special as far as welding seams etc goes?

The hull to me looks brand new, no signs of aging.

Id be using ad as a dive hull, we get out 3-10km depending on the weather and what we are after.
Old 09 March 2021, 19:38   #10

I'm no expert but I would imagine that any issue/ problem would be with the glue rather than the actual PVC material and welded seams. That said, I would expect the glue to be good for about 15 years on a PVC boat.
Old 09 March 2021, 19:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyNorth View Post
I'm no expert but I would imagine that any issue/ problem would be with the glue rather than the actual PVC material and welded seams. That said, I would expect the glue to be good for about 15 years on a PVC boat.
Yeah looking at it i think the PVC is fine, welds look solid too. They are thermo welded.

End of the day, the trailer and engine are worth the asking price, which is lower than just the hull itself which for its age is in as good condition and possible.

My only gripe would be if the rear bench seat for the console is not removable, yet to get that far into it.
Old 10 March 2021, 04:42   #12

So apparently the 60hp 4 stroke was Ok'd by the Zodiac rep. This little 420 must rip, like a slightly slower PWC with its jockey console etc :-)

Not so worried about the PVC. Also PVC is easier to patch than hypalon. I like the idea of no hull gluing and transom flaps lifting etc.

But what are the chances of these tubes being ripped off the rail that keeps them on the glass hull?
Old 13 March 2021, 07:20   #13

So the 60hp yammy is 7 pounds over the weight limit recommended for the Zodiac 420. Its also 10hp over the 50hp recommendation.

Should I be too worried about this? I mean this is a high quality engine, its just a little over the transom recommendation.

Everything else looks perfect.
Old 17 March 2021, 08:55   #14

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Hi
I have a Zodiac pro 4.8m and I can say the tubes are in excellent condition. I have always washed and used rib UV protective materials after every use. If you cover the tubes at well they will last for decades.

Tags
zodiac